Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I Had the same problem & IIRC it was one of these locos

Remove the worm gear retaining clip from the gear tower. Gently pry off the worm retaining clip by spreading the out the sides shown with the red arrows

Lift out the Worm gear assembly ( don't loose the rear bearing & washer)

engage the drive shaft into the flywheel

engage the  coupling cup over the drive shaft while lowering the worm assembly back into the gear tower 

Replace the retaining clip onto the gear tower

the drive shaft should have a little back/front movement but not enough that the drive shaft falls out

1895413344_wormgear.png.9272904357afded1f9fa79d254b4d58f.png

Hope this helps

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just managed to fit sound to my new ‘Belgian Marine’ but have dislodged the loco’s brake gear. Try as I may, I cannot find a glue that will hold it in place again. So I’m pleading for help - has anybody successfully glued Hornby’s brake glue back on to the loco?

Any help appreciated!

• Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, paftrain said:

I have just managed to fit sound to my new ‘Belgian Marine’ but have dislodged the loco’s brake gear. Try as I may, I cannot find a glue that will hold it in place again. So I’m pleading for help - has anybody successfully glued Hornby’s brake glue back on to the loco?

Any help appreciated!

I think someone else had the same problem on this thread. Their plan was to drill out the holes and attach the brake gear by means of wire.

Unfortunately, these components are flimsy to say the least. 

Another option is to fit the  RT models Bulleid M/M brake gear which is of a more substantial and robust nature.

https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_039.htm

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 3 weeks later...

My Merchant Navy is somewhere between Kernow and North Carolina so I have a couple of questions while I anxiously await the postman. With respect to the trailing truck do the wheels float and maintain contact with the rails or do they lift off due to fluctuations in the rail heights on rough track? Now as for adding DCC sound, I plan to use LokSound’s available sound files but they only have the rebuilt Merchant Navy version or the unrebuilt West Country class. Were there significant differences in sounds as a result of the rebuilding modifications? Were there significant differences in sounds between the West Country amd Merchant Navy locos? Thanks—Larry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Cofga said:

My Merchant Navy is somewhere between Kernow and North Carolina so I have a couple of questions while I anxiously await the postman. With respect to the trailing truck do the wheels float and maintain contact with the rails or do they lift off due to fluctuations in the rail heights on rough track? Now as for adding DCC sound, I plan to use LokSound’s available sound files but they only have the rebuilt Merchant Navy version or the unrebuilt West Country class. Were there significant differences in sounds as a result of the rebuilding modifications? Were there significant differences in sounds between the West Country amd Merchant Navy locos? Thanks—Larry

The wheels maintain their alignment within the trailing truck.

On sharp curves they swing clear of the rails and if they were allowed to drop when doing so, they might end up lower than the rail top when going back onto straight track, and derail the loco. 

If you have curves no tighter than 3ft radius, you can substitute a flanged wheelset. 

John

• 2 years later...