Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Got my hands on a channel packet, beautiful model. The rods as noted really are special!

What's this "planet killer" I've seen mentioned?

"The Planet Killer" is no myth (I typed it), it goes back to a previous version of RMWeb and the unfortunate Patriot called Planet that got it's motion well a truly buckled trying to haul a very large number of Maunsell coaches - hence Planet Killer (also a nod to the Star Trek Episode: The Doomsday Machine)....

• Like 1

"The Planet Killer" is no myth (I typed it), it goes back to a previous version of RMWeb and the unfortunate Patriot called Planet that got it's motion well a truly buckled trying to haul a very large number of Maunsell coaches - hence Planet Killer (also a nod to the Star Trek Episode: The Doomsday Machine)....

Cool! Is that real or model? Love that episode :)

Guest Midland Mole

Holland-Afrika is a stunning model, but I will NEVER buy a sound fitted loco from Hornby. The sounds Hornby try to pass off are diabolically bad, which is a real shame when put in a model of such quality.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Cool! Is that real or model? Love that episode :)

Twas Hornby's model, with 15 or 16 Maunsell coaches in tow - fortunately the damage was repairable and didn't require a last nano-second beam out like Kirk did from the Constellation.  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Holland-Afrika is a stunning model, but I will NEVER buy a sound fitted loco from Hornby. The sounds Hornby try to pass off are diabolically bad, which is a real shame when put in a model of such quality.

Alex

It's a shame they stopped offering the sounds they used to before TTS came about. I had one of the R2994xs Clun Castle models, released about 4-5 years ago now I believe, which was a 3rd party sound decoder and supplier. ESU I believe it was. Those were great sounding locos. It would be good if they could give us the choice of TTS and standard DCC Sound. Perhaps TTS could be specifically for Railroad models.

Regards, Ryan

• RMweb Gold

Alex

Careful now Alex.Before you reject Hornby sound fitted locos outright,I suggest you try out a mainstream sound fitted (Lok Sound ESU) model.They are an entirely different experience I assure you.TTS sound is "downmarket" and does not pretend to be anything other than basic.I'm afraid it is down to cost that we now have these modules fitted to main range new releases.Being realistic,I don't think ESU sound would sell in sufficient numbers to justify a production run from Hornby in the present economic circumstances.We are where we are I'm afraid.But....I'm sure you could get "hands on" with a sound fitted (ESU) rebuilt MN or WC/BB given that you work for Footplate.Now that is a proper job.Go on,give it a try.

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

I agree with both of you about the older sound fitted locos with the better chips in. Ironically I just put a Kidwelly Castle on our website yesterday that is the ESU type sound loco, did not get to hear it though.

My main problem is with the TTS range. While I understand it is for people on a budget, my personal preference is that no sound is better than bad sound.

i fully intent to get one of my MNs fitted with a decent chip at some point so I can hear that glorious Bullied sound coming from these beautifully realised models. :)

Alex

I agree with both the above posters. Sound is good, if it is good sound. People who do not use sound often add music to the soundtrack of their videos. Musical taste is very variable and I think it would be better if they didn’t, even if I happen to like the music chosen. All the same, I can’t help looking at an outstanding layout and thinking how much nicer it would be if the locos were sound equipped.

My main quarrel with TTS is the way in which exhaust beats don’t relate to what the wheels are doing. If I particularly want a model which is only available with TTS, I’ll fish it out and discard it or, better, go to Rails which does the job for me and knocks off a few quid.

TTS diesel sounds are not so bad – I find them tolerable.

As to “beautifully realised models” yes but those trailing wheels are awful.

All this is just personal opinion, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with both the above posters. Sound is good, if it is good sound. People who do not use sound often add music to the soundtrack of their videos. Musical taste is very variable and I think it would be better if they didn’t, even if I happen to like the music chosen. All the same, I can’t help looking at an outstanding layout and thinking how much nicer it would be if the locos were sound equipped.

My main quarrel with TTS is the way in which exhaust beats don’t relate to what the wheels are doing. If I particularly want a model which is only available with TTS, I’ll fish it out and discard it or, better, go to Rails which does the job for me and knocks off a few quid.

TTS diesel sounds are not so bad – I find them tolerable.

As to “beautifully realised models” yes but those trailing wheels are awful.

All this is just personal opinion, though.

Agreed that TTS is much more suited to Diesel locos. No chuff rate to be synchronised. And definitely agree about the musical aspect of some videos. Especially when, as you say, music is such a variable taste.

• RMweb Gold

My Holland-Afrika arrived yesterday, and I ran it on my layout today. I measured a top speed on the level of 112 mph light, and 96 with 7 coaches behind.

I put a Kadee No.20 (which is probably too long, but you have to start somewhere) into the tender, and offered it up to the coupler height gauge; unfortunately it is about 1 mm. too low. So I shall need to do something to rectify that.

I have not tested the sound yet, but I shall keep the warnings of everyone on here in mind when I do get to look at it.

Edited by Budgie
  • Like 1

Well I got my Holland Africa Line today. Considering this is a sound loco, it is good value for money.

Now the good news, the main chuffing sound is almost in sync at slow speed. Granted it does not sound like the chuff of a Bullied though but still at least it is closer to sync than the Hornby King. The other flaw is that the chuff does not soften once the loco is underway (blast will reduce as steam is reduced entering the cylinders - you would thik this loco is ploughing its way up Beattock!). (Edit: this seems to be normal for TTS).

This TTS functions are similar but not the same as the TTS King and P2 I own.

While the main sound may be more in sync, you have to click the brake sound on yourself (previously you did not on the P2 and King) (Edit: I just checked the King and P2 and you did click it on yourself). The coasting sound also has to be switched on yourself when travelling at a steady speed (again previously you did not Edit: in fact coasting does not exist on my previous TTS models and these have the same constant chuff). Coasting only comes on as you actually slow down (edit: same as previous). The chuff is loud but the coast button effectively switches it off. Note when coast is on, you cannot trigger any other sound.
There is no wheel squeal or rail clack either (Edit: which is the same as previous TTS models I have).

Edit: a full fat DCC sound chip will apply brakes and coast automatically, TTS seems to be limited here in that you have to tell it to coast or brake despite having back emf.

Back on the plus side, there are 8 whistles to choose from (Edit: the King and P2 were limited to 4, most DCC suppliers don't get near that), including a passing whistle which is quite effective.

So feedback time: please have the brakes come on automatically as the loco stops, play closer attention to the actual beat/chuff of the real thing (varies from class to class) and get it roughly synced with the wheels (we know perfect is impossible on these TTS chips), nice one on the 8 choices of whistles especially the passing one. Could we have passing train/rail clack too?

(edit: remind me next time to double check existing models rather than relying on memory - doh!)

Edit 2: here be a quick video (running with 6 pullmans at the end) : 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Just to let everyone know we are also offering Holland-Afrika Line without the sound as DCC Ready.

post-31829-0-25019100-1501763446_thumb.jpg

Alex @ Footplate

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave post1693 an Informative/useful rating because it informed me how bad the TTS sound is (whistles aside) and useful in so far as I will buy a decent sound chip for my MN. Hornby appear not to have thought it through very well, the sync is poor the sound is tinny, shame really, they produce a lovely loco that sound like someone banging a pipe with a spanner.

• RMweb Gold

Our first batch of the Hornby R3382TTS 'Holland'Afrika Lines' Merchant Navy 35023 with TTS Sound arrived today. 

See our product video here:

https://youtu.be/-jVKTk7H9o4

The remaining stock will be arriving tomorrow morning. 

We have limited stock remaining so order now to avoid disappointment. 

Also available is a DCC Ready version without the sound or alternatively we have the TTS Sound decoder and speaker available to purchase

A curiosity.....anomaly maybe ? The TTS removed version is advertised now on the Rails website priced at £159. Initially advertised at £149.....ah,well,you win some,you lose some.However,trawling through eBay ,as one does...said same is £154 . Thus,taking into account postal charges,it is actually £7 cheaper to purchase vie Ebay.Now in my innocence I have always assumed that there is a steep percentage mark up for flogging merchandise on that website and that it is financially advantageous not to do so..Yet here we are in this situation.viz...not going via retailer's website direct. Am I missing something....anybody ?

Hello,Oliver......

I gave post1693 an Informative/useful rating because it informed me how bad the TTS sound is (whistles aside) and useful in so far as I will buy a decent sound chip for my MN. Hornby appear not to have thought it through very well, the sync is poor the sound is tinny, shame really, they produce a lovely loco that sound like someone banging a pipe with a spanner.

The sync on my king is even worse, there I get 1 chuff almost every 2 wheel turns! Reminds me of the noise box in the old Triang B12. I know TTS is limited but surely chuff rate should be something they  (Hornby) should be able to pre-set better (even here I will not expect spot on as each models running is different, but close enough should be possible). The factory DCC fitted Oxfordrail Adams I have is almost perfect in that aspect.

On the other side, considering the TTS price, it does allow me to have more locos fitted with sound, in my case, 6 more by the end of the year (most of which I would not have converted). Of course this springs up a debate on whether to have one super model or 3 TTS ones.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

TTS is, and was always intended to be, a cheapo basic sound system for people who balked at the cost of doing it properly.

It's not really aimed at the hardcore enthusiast, either of DCC sound quality or Bulleid Pacifics. 

Insofar as I have been exposed to sound-fitted Hornby Bulleids, their rebuilt WC Crewkerne is an entirely different proposition, albeit at the higher price premium normally associated with "proper" DCC sound installations.

TTS is what it is but I do worry that, when applied to higher-end locos, it may end up tarred with the same brush as Design Clever if Hornby aren't careful.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

TTS is, and was always intended to be, a cheapo basic sound system for people who balked at the cost of doing it properly.

It's not really aimed at the hardcore enthusiast, either of DCC sound quality or Bulleid Pacifics. 

Insofar as I have been exposed to sound-fitted Hornby Bulleids, their rebuilt WC Crewkerne is an entirely different proposition, albeit at the higher price premium normally associated with "proper" DCC sound installations.

TTS is what it is but I do worry that, when applied to higher-end locos, it may end up tarred with the same brush as Design Clever if Hornby aren't careful.  

John

Price Clever ?, Cheap as Chips ?

Adding full fat chips would put the MN price into the £250 range and out of range of many peoples pockets and thus reduce the volume of sales.

Adding TTS chips just adds to the company bottom line, how many people have bought 35023 DCC ready, or passed on the chip just to get the loco (I know I have) ? - that Rails have felt able to increase the price shows there must be demand.

It may not work the same next year on an Original MN, but then they could have another trick up their sales and marketing sleeves.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Price Clever ?

Adding full fat chips would put the MN price into the £250 range.

Adding TTS chips just adds to the company bottom line, how many people have bought 35023 DCC ready, or passed on the chip just to get the loco ? - that Rails have felt able to increase the price shows there must be demand.

I agree, but I don't really see any point in buying a loco with a feature that many "enthusiast" purchasers evidently consider to be inferior, only to incur the additional cost of upgrading it.

Hence, Rails (etc.) offering Holland Afrika Line minus the TTS, which will presumably be recycled into other locos for those who do find it acceptable, is very welcome.  

All the versions of air-smoothed MN Hornby have released so far are "too old" for me and I'm not into sound anyway, but I know which way I'll jump when they do announce one that does fit my requirements.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I have the "full" Holland-Afrika Line on the way from Rails at the moment. I figured that even if I don't like the sound in the MN, it might suit something else I already own - an easy swap if required.

• Like 1

The sync on my king is even worse, there I get 1 chuff almost every 2 wheel turns! Reminds me of the noise box in the old Triang B12. I know TTS is limited but surely chuff rate should be something they  (Hornby) should be able to pre-set better (even here I will not expect spot on as each models running is different, but close enough should be possible). The factory DCC fitted Oxfordrail Adams I have is almost perfect in that aspect.

On the other side, considering the TTS price, it does allow me to have more locos fitted with sound, in my case, 6 more by the end of the year (most of which I would not have converted). Of course this springs up a debate on whether to have one super model or 3 TTS ones.

I have long since given up TTS for steam models. It isn’t only that the chuff rate isn’t synchronised, it’s also that the chuff rate is steady and gets faster in steps, almost like a diesel notching up. Perhaps that’s why I find it acceptable in diesels.

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Well I can tell you we have sold more HALs with the sound removed than the ones fitted. Also, the sound chips on their own have been snapped up pretty quickly as well from us.

Alex @ Footplate

• Like 3

Well I can tell you we have sold more HALs with the sound removed than the ones fitted. Also, the sound chips on their own have been snapped up pretty quickly as well from us.

Alex @ Footplate

I can't say I'm surprised Alex, it's a fantastic model.Now for a late BR version with a cut down tender for 2018.General Steam Navigation would do just fine.