Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Long wait, looks nice, but whats going on with the lights / lamp brackets ?

They look err.. windswept backwards..

It does look that way on the example photographed, I haven’t seen one in person yet, I hope to pick mine up on Saturday and will check then. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

31 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

It does look that way on the example photographed, I haven’t seen one in person yet, I hope to pick mine up on Saturday and will check then. 

For those wondering how the lamp irons and the lamps were fixed to the sloping casing hopefully this image of the new casing and irons / electric lamp support brackets (yes temporarily fitted)  that we have produced so far for 21c11 / 35011 General Steam Navigation that we are in the process of returning back to original condition (complete with Bulleid's chain driven valve gear and air smoothed casing). See https://www.35011gsn.co.uk/

FC_9.jpg.aa341dcd14493c82970fddcc5dd5e83e.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

For the record 35024, whilst in the works in February 149 was painted in a dark blue, including the wheel with three horizontal crimson bands and a hand painted early emblem on the tender. 

She however re-entered service in what was to become standard express passenger blue with two black bands with white lining following inspection of the livery by members of the Railway Executive at Brighton Works.   

Interesting. In the b&w photo in A.J. Fry's book, the finish looks sufficiently light for me to accept his mention in the text that the standard blue was used. Mind you, the loco is basking in bright, low, winter sun, and some film emulsions of the time still rendered colours misleadingly in monochrome.

Repainting such a large object twice in a month must have raised some eyebrows at a time when materials of all kinds were in short supply.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Well the loco arrived from Hornby this afternoon. I have got to admit it was worth the wait and all the hassle. It definitely is a nice model. Loaded my TTS decoder into it and I have to admit Hornby have done a wonderful job.

Excellent news but unsurprising.The first releases three years ago were damned good models so there’s no reason to think these won’t be the same.

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

Excellent news but unsurprising.The first releases three years ago were damned good models so there’s no reason to think these won’t be the same.

Good point Ian, however the latest release of the Hornby A2/2 didn't exactly inspire confidence.

I was a bit apprehensive with the change of factory, but all appears well so far.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Good point Ian, however the latest release of the Hornby A2/2 didn't exactly inspire confidence.

I was a bit apprehensive with the change of factory, but all appears well so far.

But is R 3632 made in the same factory as the A2 series ? It will be interesting to discover the serial code on the box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I suppose the thing is although it is a nice model, it is probably easy to put together compared with an A2/2. The valve gear on the R3632 is relatively simple especially compared to the A2/2. The body seems to be a single moulding, whereas the A2/2 appears to be several parts (as can be seen by the line along the top of the boiler on mine where they don't quite meet). So overall not as much to get wrong.

Hopefully not .Would that life be that simple.Good fortune with yours and mine too now on its way from rural Gloucestershire.:clapping_mini:

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, maico said:

Is this factory code a sticker on the box?

I have a recent B12 that is a first rate model in all respects.

It says LOT01-PO10002561

Yes, it's the first five characters, three letters followed by two numbers, the remainder (always PO1000xxxx) seems to refer to the model itself. It's not an individual serial number, because I have two examples of 'Trevone' (one renamed) and it's identical on both, so it's probably a batch reference.

My S15 and LN models are also labelled LOT01, as is my Large Prairie. All my most recent Light Pacifics, 'Royal Observer Corps', 'Trevone' and 'Bideford' are marked TEC05.

I suspect that the letters alone identify the maker and the number their production site; it's usually 01, whatever the letters. All mine lettered TEC are numbered 05 and I infer that "TEC" operates, or has done, from (at least) five factories, making who-knows-what at their sites 01 to 04, but locos for Hornby at 05.    

John

9 hours ago, maico said:

Is this factory code a sticker on the box?

I have a recent B12 that is a first rate model in all respects.

It says LOT01-PO10002561

Yes LOT 01

But I'm not sure that is accurate though as the Hornby address is still in Sandwich, where new releases like the Generic coaches are Westwood. The boxes may have been printed when the model was originally expected.

Mine is in the post. The invoice says "Ordered om 18th January 2018 @ 7.59am. One advantage of ordering a loco when it is announced, is that you pay the price quoted when ordered - well you do with some suppliers. Just needs the postman to arrive:D

• Like 3

Pleased to receive mine this morning after what seems to have been a while since I ordered it.

A lovely model, flawless blue finish and runs super smoothly.

Mine also has the front lamps pointing upwards, so I expect this is a general assembly error across all of them. I've tweaked the lamp brackets (very carefully) to be more upright which sort of disguises the lamps not being vertical. Not a big deal, and here's hoping Hornby can fix it before Aberdeen Commonwealth (I think Belgian Marine is already on the way.

I hadn't realised that the Hornby red boxes are now being supplied in a plastic outer bag within a robust cardboard outer (and then shipped in another cardboard box with padding by Hattons).  

Sam

35024 1.jpeg

35025 box.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Must be a busy day at the Ocean dock as No.24 is having to wait for its boat train service across at Canute Road Quay.... 

6C77E0E8-8A0F-4CC4-A564-C48821CA8FA0.jpeg.84918a8391ca526f65287b359dace344.jpeg

It is an excellent model, other than just a couple of minor niggles. 
The front lamps although separate mouldings are pointed slightly skyward that like the other versions already delivered is due to the design rather than an assembly issue as the mounting peg is perpendicular to the rear of the lamp. 
I have already replaced the lamp irons atop of the lamps and painted out the silver paint lamp lenses.
Note although the front lamps were brass cases (the tender lamps were steel cases)  it’s only in preservation they are polished brass as in service they were painted. 

The next thing to do is replace

the poor looking printed nameplate, an etched plate, with a better colour rendition for the enamelled centre flag background, is on order. 

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Note although the front lamps were brass cases (the tender lamps were steel cases) 

Is that so?  34023 Blackmore Vale and 35028 Clan Line both had (painted) brass tender lamps in BR service, I am reliably informed.

Best regards,

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks

On 18/03/2021 at 16:34, Ian Hargrave said:

And as a footnote to the delivery of 35024 ,an email now received from Hornby announcing the release describes it as bedecked in “experimental blue livery “. Except of course there was nothing experimental about it.....as opposed to some A4’s which H have released over the years. Blue was standard for a short while for BR 8P locos from all regions.Some A3 received it too . Sorry for the pedantry but H do have R&D etc.to ensure accuracy of what’s both inside the box and printed on the outside. Oh never mind,it’ll be good to recreate memories of Waterloo & Clapham Junction in the ( very) early 1950’s. Now what about aTavern Car to accompany it ?

There is a very good colour pic of 35024 leaving Waterloo 21-6-49 pulling a special train conveying members of the Royal Family--page 48/49 of R J Harvey,s locos in detail series--in blue with what appears to be twin yellow lining.Richard Derry,s book  decribes the use of  two black lines edged with white. Maybe the colour reproduction isn,t quite what it should be. Also with continuous black skirt  covering loco and tender and red backed nameplate.

There is also a good pic on page 46 showing 35024 in unlined malachite +light pacific tender.

I have just ordered 35029 having used a number of books to check if the details are correct for my era.

It may be of interest for others contemplating the same purchase to have a look at the following--

Era4--BR green from 7-52.Early emblem from new ?,2-49 to rebuild 9-59.Modified cab also from new.

High sided 5100 gallon tender from 7-52.Casing in front of cyls. removed at same time.

The red backed nameplate may have changed in the early/mid 50,s--there is a pic of 35029 leaving Victoria 1n 1956 with what appears to be a black backed plate

Fluted rods to 8-56. Safety valves resited 12-54.Shedded  at 70A from 6-55>>>64.

I conclude that the Hornby model reflects 35029 correctly from 12-54 to 9-59 except for plain rods from 8-56 and possibly nameplate backing colour.

However my era is flexible enough to accomodate.

regards,

Ed

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

Is that so?  34023 Blackmore Vale and 35028 Clan Line both had (painted) brass tender lamps in BR service, I am reliably informed.

Best regards,

Martin

Certainly originally the tender lamps were steel cases and the General Steam Navigation Locomotive Restoration Society have at least one steel cased lamp in their possession. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ed 66 plant said:

There is a very good colour pic of 35024 leaving Waterloo 21-6-49 pulling a special train conveying members of the Royal Family--page 48/49 of R J Harvey,s locos in detail series--in blue with what appears to be twin yellow lining.Richard Derry,s book  decribes the use of  two black lines edged with white. Maybe the colour reproduction isn,t quite what it should be. Also with continuous black skirt  covering loco and tender and red backed nameplate.

regards,

Ed

Ed 

It’s from a well known Colour Rail slide and the lining to the horizontal black bands is definitely white both on the slide and also the reproduction in my copy of the Locomotives in Detail book.