Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

11 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Wednesday 25 March. Now Hattons have over 10 in stock of R3632 35024 East Asiatic Company locomotives. They are selling them for £162 each. 

Plus £4 P+P at Hattons, whilst many other outlets are doing the same loco at £161.99 and free postage. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

R3632 35024 East Asiatic Company has still not arrived at my local model railway shop but it is expecting the locomotive at any time. Perhaps it has been delayed due to its high axle loading on my local railway.  If it does arrive it will be 1p cheaper than buying it from Hattons as I will get a 10% discount and I also will not have to pay postage. If it goes wrong I can just take it back to the shop rather than having to return the locomotive in its original packaging to a mail order firm. It will be interesting to see if the blue Pacific locomotive it sells out before it arrives at my local model railway shop or it ends up as a Hattons bargain with 25% off for Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

R3632 35024 East Asiatic Company has still not arrived at my local model railway shop but it is expecting the locomotive at any time. Perhaps it has been delayed due to its high axle loading on my local railway.  If it does arrive it will be 1p cheaper than buying it from Hattons as I will get a 10% discount and I also will not have to pay postage. If it goes wrong I can just take it back to the shop rather than having to return the locomotive in its original packaging to a mail order firm. It will be interesting to see if the blue Pacific locomotive it sells out before it arrives at my local model railway shop or it ends up as a Hattons bargain with 25% off for Christmas.

I'm not sure I've seen any -25% Hattons pre Christmas bargains for a long time.

Well certainly not anything that remotely wants me to open my wallet that is.

Good to see though that you support your local model shop.

At the end of the day, it's a case of whatever works best for you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, is there any reason why Renumbering the model of 35017 to 35011 would not be historically correct. Thanks Fred 

That depends on when you want it to be historically correct. There are two possibilities.

If the 35017 model has the safety valves in the original position, it should be OK from the end of 1951, prior to which 35011 was in malachite, up to mid-1954.

If the 35017 model has the repositioned safety valves, which both locos received in mid-1954, it should be OK from then until June 1957 when 35011 went in for a Light Intermediate overhaul. When it emerged in August, the tender had been cut down.

If the green on 35017 matches my spare cutdown 5100 tender body, I'll be having one, to make 35011, though the mounting points will have inevitably been moved to make room for a speaker.

I'll be less keen if I'd need to do a full repaint rather than just the cab area.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

It will be interesting to compare East Asiatic Company's performance with that of the new Hornby Dublo R5970 malachite green Elders Fyffes and R3971 BR green General Steam Navigation.  My earlier Hornby airsmoothed Merchant Navy class locomotives had similar performances to my Wrenn airsmoothed Bulleid Pacific locomotives. Unfortunately the motor burned out after 6 months on a Hornby version and Hornby repaired it free of charge.  The Wrenn models are still going strong after about forty years.

Edited by Robin Brasher
Corrected spelling of Elders Fyffes
  • Like 1

I'm not a SR modeller, but I purchased a blue one from MRD almost at the last moment. I'm very impressed with it. I've only checked it is ok on my10' or so of track in the station area, but I did notice the 'flywheel effect'. Running at full speed, then remove the power, & it continues for a distance. Unusual, but good.

Stewart

• Like 2

On 24/03/2021 at 16:09, MikeParkin65 said:

Everything electronic will fail eventually. It is wrong to assert that Hornby TTS have reliability issues without comparing 

I have to disagree. I fit hundreds of soundchips over the course of a year. In order of reliability, this is my experience.

ESU. 99.9% Failures extremely rare.

Zimo. 70% Smaller micro decoders problematic.

TTS. 0% Every decoder I was asked to install, either had faults, failed during install, or early into initial use by the customer.

I made the decision to neither supply or install this rubbish.

And all electronic products are not destined for failure, I have some 30+ year old British bred and manufactured audio equipment that performs as well, and is just as reliable as the day it was purchased :D

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, blueeighties said:

I have to disagree. I fit hundreds of soundchips over the course of a year. In order of reliability, this is my experience.

ESU. 99.9% Failures extremely rare.

Zimo. 70% Smaller micro decoders problematic.

TTS. 0% Every decoder I was asked to install, either had faults, failed during install, or early into initial use by the customer.

I made the decision to neither supply or install this rubbish.

And all electronic products are not destined for failure, I have some 30+ year old British bred and manufactured audio equipment that performs as well, and is just as reliable as the day it was purchased :D

TTS 0%? Wow

I've fitted 74 to my fleet now, only one dead at time of install. I can’t comment on running life though. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2021 at 14:41, Graham_Muz said:

Very informative review which is much appreciated.

From a very personal perspective, and many will disagree, but what I can discern from photographs of the model and the “carpet crawler’s” video presentation, the finish of “EAC” will require more than a fair bit of weathering if it is to give a realistic representation of an MN in this livery.  (There’s probably now only few who can remember ever seeing the real locos in blue - myself being one, but at 4 years of age I was just in awe of the machine; no, I don’t remember the actual loco!) We have to refer to colour photographs for comparison, the tones of many  having degraded over time which can give confusing illusions of hue under varying lighting conditions.

As regards the aforementioned video representation, the viewer must decide what content is and is not relevant. Perhaps one positive is just the ability to view someone else’s “as bought” purchase in detail, close up, at a time when direct over-the-counter shopping restrictions are being enforced. 

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Right Away said:

Very informative review which is much appreciated.

From a very personal perspective, and many will disagree, but what I can discern from photographs of the model and the “carpet crawler’s” video presentation, the finish of “EAC” will require more than a fair bit of weathering if it is to give a realistic representation of an MN in this livery.  (There’s probably now only few who can remember ever seeing the real locos in blue - myself being one, but at 4 years of age I was just in awe of the machine; no, I don’t remember the actual loco!) We have to refer to colour photographs for comparison, the tones of many  having degraded over time which can give confusing illusions of hue under varying lighting conditions.

As regards the aforementioned video representation, the viewer must decide what content is and is not relevant. Perhaps one positive is just the ability to view someone else’s “as bought” purchase in detail, close up, at a time when direct over-the-counter shopping restrictions are being enforced. 

although i appreciated your review Graham and effort to get it up onto your site i thought the digs at Sam where un called for. I must be in the minority on this forum but i actually like his youtube channel, he reviews every model the same, same benchmarks etc. He always says its his personal opinion on colour and his OCD to certain things on a model.

I agree with above, its good to see the model on screen and in such detail, it allows the viewer to make their own mind up.
Now having said all that, i do actually think the blue looks a little lifeless, whether that is how it's suppose to be i have no idea, I have the 21c1 from the first release and the green really pops, stunning loco. The loco in question is out of my era, but if the blue had a bit more fizz to it i would of bought one for no other reason that it looked good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes I too thought the dig at Sam unnecessary . I also like his channel . There are no pretensions he says it like he finds it and he is first to admit he is no expert . Ironically , despite the dig,  I think you essentially come to the same conclusion  and that this is a very good model . I was toying with buying one , but as Jonnyuk says, as indeed does Sam, the blue does look to be a bit flat . Surprisingly there do still seem to be a number about for purchase , so I may yet give into temptation. 

It does seem that Hornby do have some issues with colours . The A2/2 BR green for instance , even GBRf Blue on the class 50s 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still have not received my blue East Asiatic Company locomotive that I pre-ordered from my local model railway shop after Rails cancelled my pre-order with them that I made in 2018.

Should I wait for my local model shop to deliver it and risk the other shops running out of stock if the model never arrives or cancel my order and risk damaging my relationship with my local shop? 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I still have not received my blue East Asiatic Company locomotive that I pre-ordered from my local model railway shop after Rails cancelled my pre-order with them that I made in 2018.

Should I wait for my local model shop to deliver it and risk the other shops running out of stock if the model never arrives or cancel my order and risk damaging my relationship with my local shop? 

I'd maybe give your local shop a call , just to check status . It looks like the model is out there reaching even Rails who no longer stock Hornby , so I would have thought your local shop should have had his delivery by now . It maybe , of course , he is closed !     If no word I'd be tempted to cancel and order from another .  If , at the end of the day, he does receive model , I'm sure he will be able to sell it . Its good you are considering your relationship with local shop, but it works both ways  and I think it would be understandable , if no word , that you act to secure model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I too thought the dig at Sam unnecessary . I also like his channel . There are no pretensions he says it like he finds it and he is first to admit he is no expert . Ironically , despite the dig,  I think you essentially come to the same conclusion  and that this is a very good model . I was toying with buying one , but as Jonnyuk says, as indeed does Sam, the blue does look to be a bit flat . Surprisingly there do still seem to be a number about for purchase , so I may yet give into temptation. 

It does seem that Hornby do have some issues with colours . The A2/2 BR green for instance , even GBRf Blue on the class 50s 

I'd take Sam more seriously if he just got himself a baseboard! He clearly doesn't take any notice of the makers' instruction leaflets as they all tell you not to run their products on the carpet. 

I'm not personally interested in this loco but 35024 only ran in that livery for two years and two weeks.

I know the colour scheme was dropped because it weathered badly, but the pictures look so lifeless that I'd think it must represent how it looked during the two weeks at the end!  

Another job for Klear?

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd take Sam more seriously if he just got himself a baseboard! He clearly doesn't take any notice of the makers' instruction leaflets as they all tell you not to run their products on the carpet. 

I've also watched a few of Sam's videos - he does make some useful points, but it is extremely difficult to look beyond the carpet-laid track.  He has tried to explain the reasons for this, but it doesn't convey an aura of expertise/competence or persuade me to "buy into" what he says.   I tend to watch them for light entertainment rather than as a source of information/review.  

And as for whether "digs" or other criticisms aimed in his direction are "called for", surely they're an occupational hazard of putting your material out on public display on YouTube...  I actually found the reference to "carpet crawler" quite amusing and effective... 

Anyway, to get back on topic, my model of 35024 arrived a few days ago (having been pre-ordered when it was first announced) and has been running in.  I'll confess to having defective colour vision, which can actually be a blessing when I read some of the more heated discussions (disputes) - however accurate (or not) the colour of the model is, I know I'm not seeing it correctly, so have to resort to my imagination!  I'm very happy with the model - the front lamp/bracket issue is unfortunate, especially when it appears not to be an issue on the earlier-released model of 35028, but is my only minor nit-pick (and methods for mitigation have been suggested by @Graham_Muz amongst others). 

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Add some on-topic comments!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m generally very happy with my example of 35024, though I think the nameplate could be a little better. I’m also generally happy with the colour and finish, though we are all probably looking through the prism of the well-known colour-rail photo of the pristine loco leaving Waterloo.

I did watch the Sams trains review and did find it useful in some respects; the type of bearings and flywheel fitted for instance. There were a few factual errors, but at the end of the day if it runs ok on his track, I know it will be fine on mine...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2