Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

On 07/05/2021 at 04:20, Black 5 Bear said:

I must admit Mike to being a tad worried following the change of factory delays and the shade of Brunswick applied to some of their recent releases.

In my opinion, the AS M/N's are definitely one of their best models to date !

Forgive me what does 'AS' mean please?

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2021 at 15:16, 3rd Rail Exile said:

82996421_20210506_145517(2).jpg.f363aa78de459b3b5976037736f7964f.jpg

2083893519_20210506_145642(2).jpg.c0f406a584f33c6f76688e3b66f97191.jpg

Couple of very quick (and not very good) phone snaps - very happy with the model.  Slightly confused to find two bags of accessories - one with the usual range of parts (the steps look like those that usually go on the front buffers, and they're already fitted - I was expecting steps for below the buffer beam on the tender), and a second bag with a different design of cylinder drain cocks.  Looks like I've got the ones similar to Clan Line and East Asiatic Company in the main bag and ones similar to Channel Packet in the second bag...446750279_20210506_145946(2).jpg.bac3f8b49c385f9f8e62821fa0c3cf98.jpg

The separate pack of cylinder drains are for locos with (original) full front casing to the buffer beam - as is your 21C7, whereas those of the main pack have the actuating linkage which would be visible on the locos where the inward curve of the front casing had been removed .... 1952-3 onwards.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Right Away said:

The separate pack of cylinder drains are for locos with (original) full front casing to the buffer beam - as is your 21C7, whereas those of the main pack have the actuating linkage which would be visible on the locos where the inward curve of the front casing had been removed .... 1952-3 onwards.  

Thanks for that - I'd just about come to the same conclusion but was surprised to find both versions present as I hadn't been so blessed in the model of Channel Packet.  It almost looks as if someone has noticed that the first accessory pack isn't quite right and added a second.  In fact the first accessory pack seems more similar to that included with Clan Line and East Asiatic Company...

The spares will be put to good use elsewhere...

• RMweb Gold

The steps pictured were the standard front ones. The model of 21c7 portrays the loco with the front steps it had from new.

In a number of cases Hornby seem to be including things that are surplus to requirements with certain MNs. My guess is it's to avoid the need to produce dedicated packs for locos representing a short-lived condition that is unlikely to be repeated with a different identity.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The steps pictured were the standard front ones. The model of 21c7 portrays the loco with the front steps it had from new.

In a number of cases Hornby seem to be including things that are surplus to requirements with certain MNs. My guess is it's to avoid the need to produce dedicated packs for locos representing a short-lived condition that is unlikely to be repeated with a different identity.

John

Agreed on the steps - which are surplus as the model came with them fitted.  As well as the choice of drain cocks, the other thing that confused me was that the pipework supplied to be fitted didn't allow the model to be completed as per Hornby's artwork.  The artwork shows an up-standing vacuum pipe (I presume that's what it is, but happy to be corrected) on the tender rear, but the one supplied hangs downwards...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile

8 minutes ago, craigymace4 said:

Hi all,

Has anyone received one of the latest batches from a retailer yet? Got 21C7 on pre order with KMRC and the wait is killing me having seen some of the pics of those who have already got theirs..

This loco is slowly starting to trickle out to authorised outlets from Margate.

3rd Rail Exile and Sagaguy kindly posted pictures of of 21C7 a few posts back around the 3rd of May, having been delivered from Hornby direct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

This loco is slowly starting to trickle out to authorised outlets from Margate.

3rd Rail Exile and Sagaguy kindly posted pictures of of 21C7 a few posts back around the 3rd of May, having been delivered from Hornby direct.

21C7 was only bought direct from Hornby to use the 10% discount voucher I received when buying the "Capt. Tom Moore" Class 66 model (which was only available direct).  

I've got 35017, 35022 and 35029 on pre-order with one of my usual retailers, and am waiting (fairly) patiently...

• Like 1

35029 now shown as in stock in Guildford per the KMRC website — I think 35022 was as well, IIRC, but I looked last night and don’t quite remember. No sign of 35017 yet.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I’m almost wondering if a long delay between delivery to H and distribution to retailers is another element of Hornby’s efforts to pull more people towards ordering direct. It seems odd to me that these models arrived at Hornby and even got from there to customers so long ago, yet they’re still not available elsewhere.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Calidore said:

35029 now shown as in stock in Guildford per the KMRC website — I think 35022 was as well, IIRC, but I looked last night and don’t quite remember. No sign of 35017 yet.

Agreed - 35022 and 35029 in Guildford but "expected soon" in Cornwall - they have to get to Cornwall before being sent to pre-order customers...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Agreed - 35022 and 35029 in Guildford but "expected soon" in Cornwall - they have to get to Cornwall before being sent to pre-order customers...

10 minutes ago, craigymace4 said:

I can see 21C7 is also in at Guildford but yet to get to Cornwall. Typical it has to go there only to come back the same way - click and collecting from Guildford. At least the wait is nearly over!

57 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I’m almost wondering if a long delay between delivery to H and distribution to retailers is another element of Hornby’s efforts to pull more people towards ordering direct. It seems odd to me that these models arrived at Hornby and even got from there to customers so long ago, yet they’re still not available elsewhere.

5 hours ago, craigymace4 said:

Hi all,

Has anyone received one of the latest batches from a retailer yet? Got 21C7 on pre order with KMRC and the wait is killing me having seen some of the pics of those who have already got theirs..

Guildford receives its main stock delivered direct from the manufacturers and not via Cornwall. The Hornby Merchants are expected in Camborne this week and will be despatched to pre-orders as soon as possible after they arrive.

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, craigymace4 said:

Hi all,

Mine is sitting in my trunk at Hatton's

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

OK so I've got a blue 35024, and I'm not a normally a SR follower. What else could I change the identity to?

Reason I 'm asking is quite simple - Fox plates for 35024 are out of stock!

Stewart

Somebody further back changed his to Port Line.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Somebody further back changed his to Port Line.

John

There's a wonderful colour photo floating around somewhere of '27, broadside-style, at Stewart's Lane. Surprisingly for the period, it's pretty dirty, and the photo is a wonderful weathering guide which is making me slightly tempted to get a blue one after all. People often talk about the blue fading, but in this photo Port Line has the top row of lining almost entirely worn off, and almost all the casing panel joints / rows of rivets / washout plugs full of black-brown gunge. It'd make a great weathering project with some washes and a dry brush.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,  everyone. I have just bought 21C7 from Monk Bar Models, York. Photo’s to follow later in the evening. I will say that, apart from beautiful

running qualities, regarding the cab interior, unlike the Thompson pacifics, it is correctly detailed and finished with printed dials on the gauges etc.,  It’s just a quality model, which should please everyone. 
So more to come, with photo’s later in the evening.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 3