Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

The tenders are a delight on these models. The pipework is very fine indeed.

I also noticed yesterday that the coupling rods / connecting rods feature microscopic oil filler points on the top as part of the metal rod casting. I don't think I've ever seen that before -- really exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

35017 - Belgium Marine arrived this morning.

This model has both a new tender tooling (compared to the first batches) and the re-sighted safety valve positions.

MN_35017.jpg

Same tooling on R3649 Ellerman Lines.

These are so good I've bought all four regular releases this year.

Just waiting on the forthcoming Hornby Dublo General Steam Navigation and Elder Fyffes Line.

Fantastic !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Same tooling on R3649 Ellerman Lines.

These are so good I've bought all four regular released this year.

Just waiting on the forthcoming Hornby Dublo General Steam Navigation and Elder Fyffes Line.

Fantastic !

I've not seen a 17 in the flesh yet but is the tooling identical to 29?  I am trying to tell from images if the stones generator (under the cab left hand side) is in the lower series 3 position as opposed to being correctly mounted higher and behind the side sheet.

1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

I've not seen a 17 in the flesh yet but is the tooling identical to 29?  I am trying to tell from images if the stones generator (under the cab left hand side) is in the lower series 3 position as opposed to being correctly mounted higher and behind the side sheet.

I'll have to take a look on my return home this evening and provide you with some photos.

Will get back to you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Unfortunately I can't easily do a comparative photo at the moment, but I'd say they were pretty much identical.  The Stones generator might be ~0.5 mm higher on 17, but no more than that (it's surprisingly tricky to look at both at exactly the same angle...). 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Judging from Kernow’s images, the generator is visible on 17; the model would appear to be identical to 29, which acquired a 5100 gallon tender from “British India Line” in July ‘52.

“Scalpel, please nurse!”

Edited by Right Away
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2021 at 21:03, Graham_Muz said:

Pricey chocolate anyone…

21c3_13.jpg

Graham, have the nameplates been replaced with etched ones? If so, could I enquire if you applied them over the originals or were you able to remove the latter from the AS sheeting somehow?

Oh, and by the way, Fantastic Packets!

Full marks.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Right Away said:

Graham, have the nameplates been replaced with etched ones? If so, could I enquire if you applied them over the originals or were you able to remove the latter from the AS sheeting somehow?

Oh, and by the way, Fantastic Packets!

Full marks.

Yes the nameplates and smokebox door roundel have been totally replaced by etched plates.

I detail the entire forward dating process here https://southern-railway.com/2021/06/05/workbench-witterings-10-forward-dating-Hornby-bulleid-merchant-navy-21c7-to-1947-condition/ 

"The Hornby nameplates come off quite easily, they are held in place by three small lugs, one in the centre and one towards each end of the arms. I slide a sharp knife underneath from one side to the other to lift the plates. I then ensure any remaining lug was carefully cut flush to the side. I affix the etched plates using a very small amount of superglue applied with a cocktail stick (some people prefer to use a small amount of varnish instead of glue)."

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Just a quick question, did any unrebuilt MN's ever receive the late crest on their tender sides?

You'd have expected a few since the late crest was first introduced in 1956 and the last few MNs were rebuilt in 1959, but the only one I've seen photographic evidence of is 35028. Perhaps there were others...?

EDIT: Having seen Steamport Southport's link above, it should be noted that 35011's tender with the late crest has been cut down, whereas 35028's tender still had the original raves with the late crest.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Just a quick question, did any unrebuilt MN's ever receive the late crest on their tender sides?

Clan Line worked the Golden Arrow in late crest for a while - and looked brilliant.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

As stated above only two carried the late crest in original form 35011 on cut down tender from August 1957 until rebuilt in July 1959

35028 between September 1958 until being rebuilt in October 1959

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Shame it’s tender was cut down at the time.  When did they start doing that?

The first few were done as early as 1952.

IIRC, 35011, 35012, 35013 and 35021.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My 21C7 arrived a few days ago. Looked fine - until I put it on the track, when I found that only the leading pair of tender wheels was on the track, the tender pointing up at the back to the tune of about 5 mm off the rails. It turned out that the drawbar twixt loco and tender was bent to bu**ery, to the extent that I had to remove it entirely, undoing both end screws to get it flattened to the shape the designer intended. Most odd - as is the need to make it a screw fit both ends. Other Bulleid pacifics of my acquaintance have a post that sat in a suitable receptacle. I am used to the plug and socket electrical system, first encountered on a Bachmann HO 2-8-0 in 1998, I think. 

Decoder fitted, she runs nicely so far. As my layout is set on the far side of spindly Meldon Viaduct, she shouldn't be there at all, but hey!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Yes the nameplates and smokebox door roundel have been totally replaced by etched plates.

I detail the entire forward dating process here https://southern-railway.com/2021/06/05/workbench-witterings-10-forward-dating-Hornby-bulleid-merchant-navy-21c7-to-1947-condition/ 

"The Hornby nameplates come off quite easily, they are held in place by three small lugs, one in the centre and one towards each end of the arms. I slide a sharp knife underneath from one side to the other to lift the plates. I then ensure any remaining lug was carefully cut flush to the side. I affix the etched plates using a very small amount of superglue applied with a cocktail stick (some people prefer to use a small amount of varnish instead of glue)."

Thank you very much, Graham.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My 21C7 arrived a few days ago. Looked fine - until I put it on the track, when I found that only the leading pair of tender wheels was on the track, the tender pointing up at the back to the tune of about 5 mm off the rails. It turned out that the drawbar twixt loco and tender was bent to bu**ery, to the extent that I had to remove it entirely, undoing both end screws to get it flattened to the shape the designer intended. Most odd - as is the need to make it a screw fit both ends. Other Bulleid pacifics of my acquaintance have a post that sat in a suitable receptacle. I am used to the plug and socket electrical system, first encountered on a Bachmann HO 2-8-0 in 1998, I think. 

Decoder fitted, she runs nicely so far. As my layout is set on the far side of spindly Meldon Viaduct, she shouldn't be there at all, but hey!

I would assume the reasoning behind having screws each end of the drawbar is to prevent undue strain on the wiring between engine and tender, should the unwary inadvertently pull the two apart. Glad your MN worked straight away (others have had an issue with the small plastic motor-drive shaft).

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

35028 between September 1958 until being rebuilt in October 1959

35028 in unrebuilt condition in June 1959 (the month and year of my birth) has sparked my interest.  Was it’s tender cut down also at the same as it carried the later crest?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

35028 in unrebuilt condition in June 1959 (the month and year of my birth) has sparked my interest.  Was it’s tender cut down also at the same as it carried the later crest?

Here it is in June 1959 with tender in original condition carrying the later crest - https://railphotoprints.uk/p668741324/e7001a4c7

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My 35029 had a similar issue with the drawbar.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

It carried the late crest on the high-sided tender for about 4 months before it went in for rebuilding.

Tender was cut down at the same works visit.

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1