HST rake question

jamessolomon

Got these 2 HST's BR blue 253001 (power) and Intercity 253028 (power + dummy). A site I found has the rake details for 253001 but was wondering what was the rake it was assigned looking at flickr found these

Intercity HST with a BR blue rake

https://flic.kr/p/jePi9X

Another shot with the blue rake

https://flic.kr/p/dNujRE

So what sorta rake would i need for this if i was to combine the intercity and blue ones together in a sorta unfinished rake as if it wasnt fully repainted into Intercity livery yet. Looks to me like i need

2x yellow banded First 

1x yellow/red first class catering

4x unknown (guessing seconds)

Where HST's normally 7 car rake or where some shorter or was 7 the normal in service length. Covered for 2 firsts and 3 seconds but would i need the buffet/catering car or could that be done without

It's a bit tricky, this one.  The ones pictured are the Hornby shorties, so the equivalent of Railroad, only less so.  You need a TGS and a bun-truck* to assemble a rake to run in the transition period from corporate to sector liveries, but Hornby didn't make those in the short length*, so you would be reliant on correct-length coaches from Lima or current Hornby ranges.

* TRFB alert - see post below

Whilst not common, it was not impossible to have seen a HST set on the ECML without its buffet or restuarant car. No doubt someone will be able to find photographic evidence (and 99 people will queue up to tell me that I'm wrong and that could not possibly have ever happened and that I must be confusing the ECML late 80s with GWML early 21st c....)

Might be picking up some more from the local show besides if i cant get the executive liveried HST to run via track power then i need to fork out for new ones. The ring motors are a pain in the ass got 2 of em one catches fire the other works when i directly apply power to it but dosnt pickup track power. Nearly 30 quid and above for a catering car is having a laugh seriously i wouldn't pay that sorta price for one even on Ebay I got most of the extra 3 for around 8-10 quid with the intercity 125 coaches comming in a box years ago with other stuff that also contained my 3 HST's off of a friend of mums for like 20 quid quite a bargain. A mate of mine suggested i get a normal one and use etches and transfers to make one be cheaper than buying a RTR one but then again i dunno whats out there to do such a thing

I should have got the BR blue buffet car off my mate when he was offering it cheap now its modified as 97798 Seated/rest accommodation car to be part of his Network Rail HST although I did recently get the interior plastic thing from him. I plan on trawling the 2nd hand bins next week to get some more coaches and maybe depending on condition might become project ones to convert to different standards.May be getting new names and or coach numbers to add onto them to make them more standardised depending on what I pick up but we shall see what booty comes from next week

• RMweb Gold

I should have got the BR blue buffet car off my mate when he was offering it cheap now its modified as 97798 Seated/rest accommodation car to be part of his Network Rail HST although I did recently get the interior plastic thing from him. I plan on trawling the 2nd hand bins next week to get some more coaches and maybe depending on condition might become project ones to convert to different standards.May be getting new names and or coach numbers to add onto them to make them more standardised depending on what I pick up but we shall see what booty comes from next week

If you're still after the buffet coach then search Ebay under Hornby R427, there are a few on there at the moment at around £15 as buy now offers

Archived