Removing enamel paint

71H

Afternoon all.

Disaster has struck me today.

I sprayed my 07 shunter with what was labelled acrylic paint in an aerosol but it turns out it to be enamel !!!!!!!

Talk about being 'cheesed' off here.

I need to strip it all down & start again or get someone to spray it for me.

What is best to strip enamel paint off ?

I know dettol works on acrylics but not sure about what does on enamels.

Here is the 07.......

post-7447-0-24777900-1425052395_thumb.jpg

I know, it looks crap doesn't it !

Thank you all in advance for any replies.

andy

Hi Andy

You might want to try Bio Strip. Last time I got some from Faversham Model Shop. I use it for stripping paint off EFE diecasts - and have also used it for stripping gloss paint from indoor surfaces around the house! I has not harmed the plastic parts of the EFE models - and it says it's Ok for plastics on the label. Another good thing - it's OK in confined spaces as it doesn't give off any nasty fumes.

The shop does mail order. I have no connection with the shop, apart from being a satisfied customer.

Les

Get hold of some Wilco paint stripper, it's about £6.50.

Try it first on some of the bare plastic, or any bits you have, I'd soak it for 12 hours on those first to check for damage.

Once you are sure, it will be OK, it will have the paint off in under an hour.

Check out my coach thread from this page onwards http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78165-caledonian-4-6-and-8-wheel-railway-coaches-on-a-budget/?p=1776313on the last pictures on that thread is some sections of old Triang coaches that had been painted a thick brown paint. I used oven cleaner to strip them back and the end results can be seen a few posts further on.

I just put the bits I wanted stripping in a bag and sprayed on household oven cleaner, Mr Mussel in this case but I guess any would do. The bag was sealed and left for 15 mins then the bits washed of with an old nail brush to shift any stubborn paint. As the paint was so thick I had to repeat it twice more but it got all the paint off with out damaging the plastic. Steve

Check out my coach thread from this page onwards http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78165-caledonian-4-6-and-8-wheel-railway-coaches-on-a-budget/?p=1776313on the last pictures on that thread is some sections of old Triang coaches that had been painted a thick brown paint. I used oven cleaner to strip them back and the end results can be seen a few posts further on.

I just put the bits I wanted stripping in a bag and sprayed on household oven cleaner, Mr Mussel in this case but I guess any would do. The bag was sealed and left for 15 mins then the bits washed of with an old nail brush to shift any stubborn paint. As the paint was so thick I had to repeat it twice more but it got all the paint off with out damaging the plastic. Steve

The active ingredient in cheap oven cleaners is sodium hydroxide, i.e. caustic soda.

i use mr muscle oven cleaner put the parts in a sealable bag spray the cleaner  ( do it outside ) over the item seal the bag leave overnight.

wash off using a old toothbrush wash with soapy water try not to get the cleaner on your hands

Thank you all very much for your helpful comments on here.

Now, i see that there are many useful things here to remove the enamel paint from my 07 but my concern is, which will be the safest to remove the enamel paint off the resin body please ?

Also, the 'bag pipes' are very soft metal, will they be ok do you think ?

post-7447-0-19880400-1425147654_thumb.jpgpost-7447-0-01964200-1425147678_thumb.jpg

I have visions of opening the bag up & seeing a big blob of resin & soft metal !!!

Thank you everyone

andy

• Administrators

The whitemetal pipes will be fine - you could use pretty much anything on these.

Resin is a different matter - as has been said, it's not as durable as plastic and even if you don't turn it in to a blob, the surface might not be as smooth as it was when you started. I'd still be inclined to a proper model paint stripper in this instance even if it slows things up as you have to order it. As I've said, Precision Paints Superstrip works well for me. Whatever you go for, try it on a small area of part of the model, perhaps inside the body, before comitting to dunking the whole thing.

I usually try soaking in engine degreaser overnight then brushing with an old toothbrush, seems to work at least for 

Humbrol enamels.

Stubborn paints, I've used brake fluid too in the past for plastic, but I'd be checking it well first in a hidden area with resin.

Cheers

Gerry C

Caustic soda will strip most paints without harming plastics or metal. Get it at your local pound shop, but buy some rubber gloves at the same time.

& safety goggles. I don't mess around with caustic soda, it's far too easy to splash some around. Also ALWAYS add the crystals to the final amount of water, NEVER add water onto dry crystals.

Although it makes a smashing paint stripper, even works on some factory finishes, and doesn't harm plastic.

Caustic soda will strip most paints without harming plastics or metal. Get it at your local pound shop, but buy some rubber gloves at the same time.

Agreed, but I'd like to add that it will also undo epoxy resin. I know this as, to strip off the enamel, I recently immersed in a caustic soda solution an old GEM J52 body kit that I'd assembled in the late 60's (oh, was it really all those years ago...gulp) and the paint stripped off very nicely indeed, but the body fell apart! This may not happen with up-to-date expoxies, but I thought I'd mention it.

Cliff H

Archived