Bachmann Hawksworth Autocoach

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite subjects!

Also auto-worked between 1953 and 1958 were branch trains between Porth and Maerdy.  These were powered by 4575 tanks, based at Cathays but outstationed at Ferndale.  Most published photos of this service show pairs of compartment trailers.  The service on the Senghenydd branch was also maintained by auto trains, these being Cathays sets that also worked to Coryton in the course of their day's work.  I think you will find that Canton had no involvement with auto work after the timetable reconstruction of September 1953.

An oddity of the auto workings from Abercynon shed was that the Pontypridd - Machen workings had the loco at the south end whereas those to Ynysybwl and the St Fagans Pullman had it at the north end. 

Trailers did get switched around between routes from time to time, probably because of cleaning and maintenance requirements.

Chris

Yes indeed, Chris, I'd forgotten the Porth-Maerdy and Senghenydd trains.  Sort of assumed Canton provided the loco for the Newport shuttle, which I remember running behind the 10.00am 'Red Dragon' departure and assisting in rear as the Brit stuggled for adhesion trying to get a 14 coach train moving over the Canal Wharf bridge; this would be 1959 and maybe 60.  Did Ebbw provide the loco?

• RMweb Gold

John Lewis has already written a book (in two volumes) on the autocoaches, which also contains some information on the locomotives that operated with them.

And a very good book it is, too, but there is little definitive information on what worked where and when beyond the photos, some of which are pure gold, and his comments, some of which merely echo the information already available from the photos.  HIs book is intended to describe the trailers and how they were operated, and to trace the development of the designs, rather than provide the 'what. where. when' info.

Yes indeed, Chris, I'd forgotten the Porth-Maerdy and Senghenydd trains.  Sort of assumed Canton provided the loco for the Newport shuttle, which I remember running behind the 10.00am 'Red Dragon' departure and assisting in rear as the Brit stuggled for adhesion trying to get a 14 coach train moving over the Canal Wharf bridge; this would be 1959 and maybe 60.  Did Ebbw provide the loco?

I have only four Newport District passenger WTTs and have not so far found a working which corresponds to the one you describe.  Newport had several auto workings - to Monmouth until closure, then to Chepstow, to Blaenavon until the dmus arrived in 1957 and to the Sirhowy Valley.  There was a Sunday morning auto which ran empty to Cardiff, then to Pontypool Road and back.  I had an idea that there were Newport - Cardiff auto shuttles at some stage but cannot find them.  At times I can't see for looking.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

1471 (for my period) or 1421, which I have seen photos of on the Cowbridge branch.  Looks like '21 was the Cowbridge engine and '71 the Penygraig; I doubt if any 2 branches anywhere in the world from the same main line junction had such different termini!  There is also a shot in John Lewis' 'Great Western Auto Trailers part 1' on page 156, credited to W H G Boot and dated July 1950, of 5409 with trailer 106, an A6, dated July 1950, looking as if it is heading for Cowbridge from the down bay at Llantrisant.  AFAIK 64xx were never allocated to Llantrisant and 5409 in this shot carries an 86A shedplate, Ebbw Jc I believe in 1950.  I assume the 'A' shed would be the supply for spare locos if you were short for any reason...

I have limited funds and a Hattons 14xx must take it's place in the queue; Tondu engines such as 4575 and 94xx have to be budgeted for first, but I would love a Llantrisant 14xx with a matchboard trailer, and have invented a working that would be the reverse of the Bridgend-Gilfach Goch service that reversed at Hendreforgan; mine would be a Llantrisant-Cwmdimabath reversing at Brynmenyn or Blackmill; 1471 is the obvious choice as one imagines the proximity of all those big nasty mountains would have scared 1421 to death...

I've got a photo hereabouts of 6425 at Cowbridge, so it might have been a 'loaner' Aaah, here it is! Page 16, Cowbridge Railway (Chapman) Probably borrowed from Ebbw Junction.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I've got a photo hereabouts of 6425 at Cowbridge, so it might have been a 'loaner' Aaah, here it is! Page 16, Cowbridge Railway (Chapman) Probably borrowed from Ebbw Junction.

Ian

If Ebbw was 86A at the time, which it must have been given that Cowbridge closed to passengers in 1953, it would have been the 'go to' for loaners.

• RMweb Gold

I have only four Newport District passenger WTTs and have not so far found a working which corresponds to the one you describe.  Newport had several auto workings - to Monmouth until closure, then to Chepstow, to Blaenavon until the dmus arrived in 1957 and to the Sirhowy Valley.  There was a Sunday morning auto which ran empty to Cardiff, then to Pontypool Road and back.  I had an idea that there were Newport - Cardiff auto shuttles at some stage but cannot find them.  At times I can't see for looking.

Chris

I suppose it could have been a Cathays turn.  It certainly ran behind the Red Dragon and called at Marshfield until that station closed.  I was nobbut a tyke at 't time, but remember 64xx, probably 54xx, 14xx, and both streamlined and 'angled front' railcars.  It was followed into Platform 2 at Cardiff General by a Cross Country dmu for Snow Hill after 1958, and it is not impossible that I am confusing some of the railcar workings with that train, so don't take them as 'read'!

Dad has asked if I could post this for him - his reworked interior of the Bachmann Hawksworth auto trailer. Obviously, as supplied, the floor level is rather higher than the prototype (true of pretty much all RTR coaches in 4mm) and this is really rather noticeable owing to the number of windows. Dad's solution was to take the supplied interior, cut out the seats, and to mount them on new sub-floors of 40 thou' plastic sheet with another layer of 40 thou' between the reused mouldings and this sub floor to raise them up. The results are shown below:

post-256-0-43713400-1487238125_thumb.gif

Note that the ceiling has also been painted white though without the nicotine stains and smell recalled from his experience of them in service and on the early days of the Dart Valley - he was one of those who painted them chocolate and cream.

post-256-0-69557500-1487238138.gif

Hopefully this detail view should demonstrate the work done. It's taken a bit of time but the results are worth the effort. It does require a driver, however!

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Dad has asked if I could post this for him - his reworked interior of the Bachmann Hawksworth auto trailer. Obviously, as supplied, the floor level is rather higher than the prototype (true of pretty much all RTR coaches in 4mm) and this is really rather noticeable owing to the number of windows. Dad's solution was to take the supplied interior, cut out the seats, and to mount them on new sub-floors of 40 thou' plastic sheet with another layer of 40 thou' between the reused mouldings and this sub floor to raise them up. The results are shown below:

attachicon.gifHawksworth_Auto_001.gif

Note that the ceiling has also been painted white though without the nicotine stains and smell recalled from his experience of them in service and on the early days of the Dart Valley - he was one of those who painted them chocolate and cream.

attachicon.gifHawksworth_Auto_002.gif

Hopefully this detail view should demonstrate the work done. It's taken a bit of time but the results are worth the effort. It does require a driver, however!

Adam

Assuming that the original height as Bachmann moulded them would make the top level of the seats correct but the 'depth' too shallow because of the raised floor, and your Dad's mod has raised the seats to the correct level above the floor, but made them too high compared to the rest of the universe.  Does this mean that the seat backs, especially those of the bench seats, protrude above the bottom level of the windows?  A quick shufti into mine with a penlight suggests not, in which case this is a very worthwhile modification and an easier inaccuracy to live with than a bright floor which is much too high and makes you wonder how the door opened; kudos your Dad for thinking of it as it would never have occurred to me in a million years!  It also has the advantage of not having to amputate the legs off your poor passengers!

Apart from the seat raising, your Dad's painted interior is very similar to mine; I also painted the inside of the roof white as I do on all my coaches because it distributes the light better in there.  Mine doesn't have passengers yet, though they will be changing trains from a dmu which really has no place on my new layout.  It has a sitting Bachmann driver, perched on a seat made of plastic sprue, who has had his feet removed. poor sod...  It also, apparently, needs grey curtains, probably cartridge paper maybe with a coat of matt grey on the inside surface to stop the light showing through them.

Edited by The Johnster

Assuming that the original height as Bachmann moulded them would make the top level of the seats correct but the 'depth' too shallow because of the raised floor, and your Dad's mod has raised the seats to the correct level above the floor, but made them too high compared to the rest of the universe.  Does this mean that the seat backs, especially those of the bench seats, protrude above the bottom level of the windows?  A quick shufti into mine with a penlight suggests not, in which case this is a very worthwhile modification and an easier inaccuracy to live with than a bright floor which is much too high and makes you wonder how the door opened; kudos your Dad for thinking of it as it would never have occurred to me in a million years!  It also has the advantage of not having to amputate the legs off your poor passengers!

The thickness of plastic sheet was chosen to allow the seats to sit at the correct height relative to the windows. Bachmann's method of construction - in which the moulded floorpan sits below a sub floor as opposed to the real thing where the chassis stops at the top flange of the solebar - is never going to allow a fully-modelled, scale height, seat. This is a reasonable compromise, though even with this modification, any passengers will still lose their feet, sadly.

Adam

Edited by Adam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Those passengers ought to be grateful that they are sitting in the luxury and glory of a Johnster modified vehicle, and should consider that loss of their feet, which after all they do not need because all they are required to do is sit on seats and take in the Mid-Glamorgan scenery, as a small price to pay.   The loco crew on my antediluvian Airfix large prairie have been amputated below the waist, and I have yet to hear them complain.  This is the 50's in South Wales, and life is about suffering and deprivation, misery equips you for heaven, be grateful for it...

Luckily real life has moved on a little!

Kernow Model Centre are selling the crimson version at £40.99, I have just ordered one up.

Probably the best price you'll get for this model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much for telling me that I could have had mine for £20 less from Kernow if I'd waited, cheered me up no end...

Well done chaps, and well done Kernow; that is a very good price for an excellent model.  Wonder what Dapol will charge for the 00 gauge Diagram N trailer when they bring it out, or is that wishlisting a bit too much!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If it's just the metal buffer, not the whole thing including the plastic shank and housing, Baccy will probably send you one if you contact them, and then of course you'll find the old one...  If you've broken the whole thing off, that's more serious and the best I can come up with is to source an old Airfix/Dapol/Hornby one on eBay, condition won't matter as long as at least one complete buffer 'whole thing' is present, carefully saw that off, and superglue it to the Baccy.

Might be an idea to take your buffers out of the shanks and re-fit them with a spot of superglue; I did this after some of mine went wonky on me, but it also prevents them coming loose and making a break for the border...

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I am currently drawing up the high backed seating to do Thrush and the bus seating to do Wren and diagram A43 trailers which I plan to 3D print also laser cut new floors and partitions to suit.

If anyone else is interested is these parts let me know as I can always print extra parts off.

David 

As I have one that is already masquerading as THRUSH, please count me in.

Thanks,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I am currently drawing up the high backed seating to do Thrush and the bus seating to do Wren and diagram A43 trailers which I plan to 3D print also laser cut new floors and partitions to suit.

If anyone else is interested is these parts let me know as I can always print extra parts off.

David 

Include me as well, please. Trying to recreate an unexpected trip I had in Wren when it appeared propelled by a 64xx, substituting for a failed DMU.

50 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Here are the seats for THRUSH, I have looked at all the photos of this coach and I think I have the shape and style correct, probably wont see too much detail once they are inside.

Now to pop them in the 3D printer and see what comes out.

seat 5.jpg

seat 6.jpg

seat 7.jpg

Looking good, Dave - hopefully I can soon stop ignoring the incorrect seating in my THRUSH.

Regards,

John Isherwood.