Abercaldy, Fife in the 80's

SHerr

• RMweb Premium

Liking the look of the layout so far, im looking at building a simliar layout in my garage once converted and am curious to know what radius curves you are using.

i see you have the width as 3 foot 9, im hoping to have about 4-5 foot so just after some advice on how your curves are.

Mark

They are 2nd and 3rd radius, not ideal but the garage door and ability to still use it as a garage and get things in and out dictated I kept it at narrow as possible - also an explicit term of the planning permission! Also because i had to reach over and access the fiddle yard that extra 3-6 inches made the difference - I mocked up a 4 foot and 4 foot 6 wide board and was struggling to reach the back.

Mk3 coaches are a bit long and have had 1 coupling hook removed from each connection to ease locking up, and sometimes struggle a little. Also some slightly older Bachmann wagons like Coal Hoppers and 4 wheeled Grainflows don't have an NEM socket with some articulation in them, when fitted with the modern small couplings they tend to derail so I'm currently removing and fitting with NEM blocks.

Other than that it works fairly well and certainly allows me to run a lot longer trains than I could have had with an end to end. There are always compromises  but this one is worth it.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its been a quiet few months on the modelling front, but there has still been quite a lot happening. More ballasting and some rolling stock developments.

I had been thinking about running an alternative early 80's stock for a while, then in August time a chance bid on a Modelzone sealed beam class 45 (numbered as a class 46) sparked some more purchases! A Bachmann class 25 (picked up very reasonably) a blue class 20 body shell followed and some older vac braked wagons were brought out of their boxes. Then to wrap things up Bachmann's latest Deltic 55007 followed and a repaint of Split Headcode class 40 (original model) into Blue - again very reasonable bid. A couple of Mk 1 RMB's and suddenly most of a 1980/81 layout was up and running.

I have also started to strip down by old DC Kits class 120 and is currently sat in Grey, awaiting the blue. The Black Beetle Motor Bogie was performing very badly and struggling with the tight curves, I eventually opted for a Hornby class 121 chassis and with a bit of filing was made to fit. I just need to pluck up the courage to mask and complete the blue. 

At last weekends Doncaster show I also picked up 2 Skytrex resin Tenement buildings, these are quite big and have been set below track level but help the feeling of the railway being in the landscape not just plonked on a board. Hopefully these will be painted shortly and retaining walls completed.

Hopefully some more photos to follow:

post-21629-0-75453600-1456179752_thumb.jpg

Skytrex Tenements

post-21629-0-86481800-1456180127_thumb.jpg

Class 26 and 27 head for Inverness

post-21629-0-62416700-1456180154_thumb.jpg

Class 46 Heads for Tyne Yard with a freight service.

• 1 year later...

The Polybulk is the Electrotren 'Tucher' wagon of which I managed to get 2. All the end details of tanks, pipes etc removed, sprayed white and then blue detail - this was a sod of a masking exercise to try and get them straight and level, but I'm really pleased.

Main UIC codes box is the generic Fox item with the mid body wording from the grain flow transfers. Just need to get the main branding and lettering.

I have the Word version from the N Gauge society website scaled up - i've printed on paper and looks ok, but need to decide whether to try my luck on inkjet transfers or to make enquiries about custom orders.

I have a second wagon, but not done the blue yet - this one luckily had Y25 bogies frames, but the other one has some European bogies.

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

Hi there - I've managed to get one of these wagons and was interested in making one of these wagons too. Where did you get information on which tanks to remove and what do you have to do to the roof and underframes please?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, apologies for delay in responding, haven't been on for a while. There are some really good shots of the wagon ends on Paul Bartletts website, also includes a drawing.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/maltsterspolybulk

Looks like pretty much all the tanks/pipework comes off, just need a good chisel knife. The end rails and ladder appear to be good matches for the Electroten models offering although you only need the the platform and steps at one end.

The roof is a bit more guesswork as not many photos on the internet. The N Gauge society do a kit for those with good eyes and steady hands! A few photos of those kits will help.

I've not tackled the underside yet, but the drawing gives some detail.

Good luck with your efforts, It's not too difficult to get yourself something that's not run of the mill - although I've not managed to sort any transfers yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived