Graham Farish announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the releases this time around however, the fact that we are starting to see small engines with the 94XX and the J72 announced bodes well for N gauge. I'm surprised that they didn't go for the 8F for upgrading.

Graham Farish N Scale

Queen Mary Brake Van

The Southern Railway was unique in the UK by operating some large bogie brake vans. These were nicknamed Queen Mary’s due to their large size and their luxury that was not normally afforded to Guards working goods trains. 21 former LB&SCR motor luggage vans provided the bogie chassis on to which the brake van itself was constructed from 1933 onwards. Some remained in departmental service up until 2008 and a number have been preserved. This model appears in the Graham Farish catalogue for the first time.

377-875                25 Ton Queen Mary brake van in SR Brown with small lettering

377-876                25 Ton Queen Mary brake van in BR Bauxite

377-877                25 Ton Queen Mary brake van in EWS livery

The NGS/Farish Queen Mary Brake van is a model of the new construction vans, not the original LBSC 'Milk Van' conversions (known as 'Gondolas' by the staff of the time), these had a different chassis, bogies and body style. If they are giving the history of the conversions then they may be a different tooling model, but I'm not holding my breath on that...

Yeah, it's funny how now that Dapol's N gauge output has slowed down, so has Bachmann's!

Maybe this is a reflection of both companies responding to the market, rather than to each other?

N gauge is a smaller market than 00. Whereas a tightening of consumer spending in 00 reduces profitability, perhaps a proportionately similar reduction in spending in N actually makes the whole market less viable for manufacturers?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad there isn't too much to tempt me.  We've been spoilt over the last few years, and I think some come to expect the same level of new models each year.  I'm still saving for the refurb 37s which came out at the end of last year...

Really happy with the Hunslet Barclay weedkilling train.  It's been on my repaint/conversion list for years, I can now concentrate on the other dozen projects which I never get round to doing.....

Surprised there aren't any new class 47 re-liveries, was hoping the stanlow petroleum Pectinidae would be released as they have this in OO.  Perhaps there could be some other announcements made as the year goes on, as happened in the past.

I also think maybe a few new liveries on existing locos would have been nice! ie on the 31, 37, 47

only thing I will definitely buy is the class 40 but you never know, a few other bits might tempt me when they come out, in like 2017 or so!

next year a 450 and a steam crane maybe as there are in oo range

• RMweb Premium

About the only good news is that work has finally started on the Castle, 64xx and autocoach after having been announced 2 years ago.

The 64xx was listed as being in the drawing office last year, so it looks like there has been very little or no progress made with this item. 

It's not a daring selection this very but you cant have everything!

Hopefully they are just looking to cash in on the models they have already produced and the same with Dapol. I stand to be corrected but don't they make a second announcement late in the year around September time?

They could be doing something needed by getting some of the models they offered out there and clearing the back log.

While not massive amounts to tempt me maybe a 47 and a 60 I know I will be looking for the weed killing train complete and a pair of 20s will do me nicely!!

Out of all of them, theres only two models I'm looking forward to:

The colas 60 and the NCB class 04 with "Lloyd" on the cab. At least my moneys safe for quite awhile though knowing how long Bachmann take!

All the best,

Lloyd

So out of interest, do we have any expected dates for the new J72 and Class 40?

Are they both in the queue behind the 64xx and King or will there be a push to get the J72 to market quickly given the Dapol one was announced a year ago and has presumably had some work started I wonder...

Roy

Disappointing here too.

OK the Inter City Mk1s will be useful, and I will be up for a 40 or three, not sure about the weedkilling 20's, I think they are just out of my timeframe.

But I cannot believe they once again haven't shrunk the Cravens DMU. Release that with the sound fitted rather than a re-release 108 !!

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Further thoughts might make for more optimism; the new 40 chassis might also lead to updated DCC-ready Peaks next year; the current Peak bogies are too wide, so hopefully the 40 won't follow in that respect.

I see the OO V2 body is being re-tooled' so another light on the horizon for N?

Also they've cottoned on that Deltics in FP livery are popular, so it must be Crepello next year for us!

I suppose it's a bit too early to start a speculation thread for 2017!

• RMweb Premium

Oh well my guesses were on par with my skill with the Lotto.

Apart from some more Mk1 issues especially the BG and CCTs and possibly some more tank wagons, not much for me.

Thought they would at least do the Stanier BG in rail blue.....oh well a repaint beckons.

With luck 2016 will bring the just announced OO breakdown crane to the shrink ray table.

I have changed my mind I won't complain as the last new loco I bought from farish was tornado, on sale for not very much, prior to that I think it was the jubilee when it came out. Therefore if I don't buy anything I can't expect new things. That said I am waiting for the n class and 64xx with money to buy them sat in the bank. Graham

Rather insipid and uninspiring TBH, but to a large extent the announcements are of products that they already have tooling for, like the former NGS commissions, the class 108 and all the re-livery options. That does at least keep development times down and to a minimum, allowing them to concentrate on the burgeoning backlog of previously announced items.

G.

Very well Errr ummm disappointing for me. No update on the standard 4 tank? still I suppose the n class are on the way and a few more mk1s.

Graham

The 4MT tank is in the tool room according to the update in Andy's second post.

Andy

Interesting how small the list is again this year - Long gone are the days of pages and pages of new releases. I doubt the market has shrunk, but the huge jumps in prices over the past few years has no doubt changed things substantially - fewer people can afford to buy several locos a year now, hence Farish planning less.

Still some good items in the pipeline still though, but alas barely anything for the contemporary modeller.

David

Apologies missed the 4mt update. Website, under coaches,appears to include livery sample pictures of the Hawksworth coaches and the southern 50foot van.

I've also found I have a 3mt tank. So three new tooling locos from Bachmann, I'm not exactly prolific!

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone any influence to try and get them to do the Hunslet Barclay 20 livery without the Nomix Chapman logo.  It's a lot easier to add one rather than remove one.  Did this train also run with a converted SR bogie van too which is already in the pipeline?

Having reflected on the announcements today, it does confirm that the days of big lists of releases are indeed over.

However even still the list of new models we now have available (and in course) gives significantly more choice and infinitely superior quality to the old Farish days, which tends to be forgotten.

I had expected a Class 40 last year so it is good to see it confirmed. I am delighted to see an LNER tank loco but to repeat what has already said in this thread, duplicating the already announced Dapol J72 just seems so unnecessary when surely the 00 94xx also announced today could just have easily been shrunk down??

To repeat my question from earlier, does anyone who was at the event actually know timescales for any of the newly announced items?

Roy

Well initially I was underwhelmed and then thought maybe I shouldn't be. There's still scope for several new locos to appear in each of the next couple of years, it's just that we already know what they are from the 2013 (and prior?) announcements

Again with the re-liveries, so much of the new stuff (31, 37 etc ) is still to be released, newly arrived, or has versions still in stock at Bachmann that it isn't surprising that Bachmann don't think the timing is right for further batches.

What strikes me as significant is the lack of new wagon tooling in both scales. Other manufacturers such as DJM have been very up front about the relative economics of rolling stock and the likely prices for the detail we now expect may be putting Bachmann off as well. I suspect, had they not already been well down the line of development when the big rises hit, that we may never have seen items like the Polybulk.

Hopefully I'm wrong because, if the economics for rolling stock don't add up for Bachmann, I wonder where it will come from for those as inept at kit building as me

Rob

Archived