Graham Farish announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

Call me shallow if you must but the way I feel is that my spending in model railways is dropping because the manufacturers arent doing anything to get my money. Without new product releases to keep me spending, I am consolidating and moving focus to other things.

If im not the only one, this would equate to a self generated down turn of the market for the manufacturers, thus making them even less likely to produce adventurous products to entice me back.

The Pendolino project captured my attention in much the way the early years of the Dapol upturn did, resulting in me sp nding a fortune growing my collection and layout size. Yes N gauge is a small market, but it won't grow itself. If the manufacturers want more money from us, its up to them. Do things that get us interested...

Im off to plant grass blades on my layout in prep for the Pendolino arrival. :)

Hello,

Like a lot of people I am a bit surprised at the lack of re-liveries for existing loco's - particularly 47's, although don't forget the 31 is based on the old body-style, so any of the later railfreight/dutch liveries would need a re-tooled model (albeit not a major re-work). 37s seem well catered for with different liveries following the latest releases.

Very good news about the Class 40 though. I would like a Class 40 or two for my Blair Atholl early 1980's layout. With a bit of fore-sight I am sure the chassis could be made to be DCC sound-ready or designed at least to fit factory fitted DCC sound at a later date given the size of a Class 40 (an MX646 plug and play will fit into a Farish 37 if you remove cab details, not as easy to get a speaker in...).

Although I see the logic of using a DMU as a first dabble with DCC sound I wonder how popular this would be? It might go down well with the "trainset" market perhaps. Unfortunately I won't be able to utilise one modelling the Highland Mainline, as DMUs under their own power were banned in the 1980's, so would have to turn the sound off, and drag it with a 27 or the like (which did happen in reality once or twice)

And besides, if Bachmann/Grafar want to claim to have the first DCC sound fitted RTR model in  9mm, they will really need to get their skates on!

Cheers,

Well that's 2 class 60 resprays/ renumbers that I don't need to do now. 60035 and 60021. Top stuff there.

Still no modern era VTG TEAs or IHA canvas hood steel carriers, but a couple of 60s will do ;-)

jo

Uninspired - 1 new item and that a duplication, 1 retool and 2 NGS paid for tools announced as new Farish products and a sound chip. Very Dull, Hornby taking their time making any firm announcement, no news from Dapol, this wet blanket from Farish all gone dull indeed

I too am surprised at the lack of modern image 47/0 and/or 47/4

I suspect there will be a further update towards the end of the year (as some other releases have sneeked through in the last few years)

However, once the 47/7 and DBSO have arrived I have no choice but to press on with repaints (and renumbering of 37/4 in Large Logo Blue) until new releases are announced this time next year

Great to see the J72 on the list - content with this.

However, if the pictures on the Bachmann website show the intention for the new OO models, RCTS Part 8B indicates that 69001 never had a vacuum ejector, so the pipe above the RHS handrail is incorrect - unless anyone has a photograph which proves otherwise. It certainly had only steam brake in 1949, because I have a picture showing it at that time. 

Hopefully there'll be time to get this message to Bachmann?

Sort of surprised that 69023 doesn't feature in the planned models.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's now clear that the days of multiple loco release announcements are over, at least for the time being anyway. We've had a pretty good run of things between 2011-2013 but it seems Bachmann have almost become a victim of their own ambitions and are now playing catchup as a result. Recent production issues in China must also have had some impact on the number of new announcements they have been able to make since last year.

The progress update under the announcements says it all for me. We have 2 new models about to hit the shops, the 4F and Class 31, 2 new tools and 2 variants on existing models due to leave China shortly, and then 3 more new tools at various stages of production plus all of the associated rolling stock and re-issues, and thats not even from 2014 or today's announcements, so it's not as if people will be short of models to buy in the coming months.

I personally would much rather Bachmann reign in the number of new models they announce and catch up with the back log rather than simply keep adding things to it on the off chance another manufacturer might get there first. Putting a notice of intent on a type then not getting around to it for 3,4,5 years is a sure fire way to p1ss off your customers, as many posts on various threads here and elsewhere show.

Someone further up suggested that Dapol taking their foot off the N Gauge pedal may be a contributing factor toward Bachmann doing the same, and whilst I think Bachmann's own internal issues have been much of the problem, there might be some truth in that. Will Hornby make a difference? Maybe, but they are yet to fully plant their flag in the N Gauge arena and whilst the Belle is a good indication of what may be on the horizon, it won't be until we see their first 'proper' steam/diesel/electric loco that we will really know if they could be the catalyst that starts another push upward in the detail/quality and competition stakes.

So yes, this year may be another low key or disappointing announcement for many, but I really don't believe it signals a serious problem with the N Gauge market, more that we've just entered a holding pattern for a little while until the bumpy weather clears.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

There might (repeat MIGHT) be a sale of one loco to me from that list.  No rolling stock as I'm still 100% overstocked.

That sale, however, depends whether Farish or Dapol get their J72 to market first.  Hawthorn Dene needs one only (and fairly quickly) and my next project is OO.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

Dapol still have the J72 as a 2015 release but is still in the research stage, maybe it's at the 'in the bin' stage hence Bachmann making their announcement.

Today would have been a clear opportunity for Dapol to remind us they had one in development and all we had was silence.

Agree with the many posters bemoaning the uninspired / underwhelming nature of this year's announcements. 

I do think Tom E, a few posts above, sums things up excellently, though.  There is still an awfully big backlog for Farish (and the other manufacturers) to work through and I think many / most of us are finding the lag time between announcement and actual release increasingly tedious.  Dapol are clearly going through a period of retrenchment, the brilliant Mr Jones is yet to bring anything N gauge to the market (although when he does I'm sure our socks will be blown off) and Hornby, Belle aside, are not yet real players in the market.   China crisis, rising prices etc. etc. 

Couple of points:

The J72!  Why? I appreciate it's important to Bachmann ... but Dapol announced it a year ago.  Yes, I know it'll take them 5 years to get it on the shelves and Bachmann want to do a 00 gauge version, but did you really have to choose the one and only small tank loco (J94 aside) that someone else is already planing to produce?  There are many dozens you could choose from!  

Furthermore, as a BR (S) N gauge modeller, whose small layout is adroitly located on that well known branch line between Ramsgate and Penzance, I'm naturally upset at the lack of newly announced models.  I mean, apart from the imminent Merchant Navy, the N class, 4MT tanks, Bogie Bs, 12T Southern Vans, Dapol's Class 33, West Country / BoB, Schools, new Maunsell coaches .. oh and the Birdcage stock ... what is there for the Southern modeller to look forward to?

Someone should do something!  Preferably a 71!

M

• Like 1

I wonder if we are experiencing some sort of hang over from the recession? Both Dapol and Farish kept up the pace of new releases until about 2011(about 3 years after the financial crisis kicked off). Even though the economy is growing again, perhaps it will take a couple of years until manufacturers fell confident enough to start churning stuff out in quantity again.

Guest Moria

Hmmmm..  as a foreign dweller, my main aim in joining the N gauge society was always the specials.  Now it seems like I just have to wait a couple of years and the specials will be done commercially.  Wonder if this will impact the finances of the n gauge society.

For me now, the only thing remaining for the NGS will be the kits I guess.

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria

A lot of TomE post hits the nail on the head.

The market has had a recent boom with loads of new models and promises with that. Sadly grafar and Dapol seem to have over stretched themselves so its time to consolidate themselves get the models out there and get rid of the trash! (I know one mans trash another treasure)

Here is hoping they are just spending some time clearing the back log to stop the moans and cries of delays (if you work it on scale N gauge to real life would be about 15 years) and broken promises, if they clear all this and do well we may well see another boom in offerings albeit maybe not so high as 2011-13 but enough to sell and keep us nagging, moaning, awkward (insert name here) happy for how ever much longer.

My moan about this years offering is the lack of regional variation the MK1s in intercity is a nice addition to this years range but where are the regional variations such as regional railways, and toothpaste (NSE). I would love to see some of the more regional liveries for existing models appear.    But on the flip side I know where to get the transfers it's just a case of learning how to paint!

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm..  as a foreign dweller, my main aim in joining the N gauge society was always the specials.  Now it seems like I just have to wait a couple of years and the specials will be done commercially.  Wonder if this will impact the finances of the n gauge society.

Regards

Graham

When the Inspection Saloon was being produced, it was noted by the NGS that it would eventually find it's way into the mainstream Farish range in the future. The benefit is that by being a member of the NGS you get the model early and possibly at a better price. There is no RRP showing for the "new" inspection saloons, but I suspect it could be around the £30 mark, verses the £21ish I paid through the NGS.

Tom.

I've just noticed the DCC logos have all been replaced by DCC OnBoard

I suspect this is an error as some that were previously supplied with PCB or 6 pin socket are all showing as DCC OnBoard

I am about to place an order for my 37/4

Could someone confirm if the following do indeed come with a decoder fitted :

371-165 37407

371-166 37406

Whoop!!

The 40's are coming, 31 is on the high seas and the N class is coming.

J72, is that a steal from Dapol

A sound 108 is great, like to see them do it in the 40 and then we're really motoring.

Yes the 40's are coming at last but once again they have omitted the split headcode version just as they have omitted the disc headcode version of the class 31, very disappointed Bachmann/Farish!

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham,

Dapol and Farish have always offered us (the NGS) different funding models.  With Dapol, we pay for and own the tooling; whereas with Farish we simply specify the models and pay the trade price for whatever we order and they offer us exclusivity for two years.

With the Farish models (perhaps more than those we have done with Dapol) the choices were also strategic; the Inspection Saloon was intended to offer a 50' LMS chassis that could be used for other vehicles such as the LMS BG and Stanier catering vehicles (though only the former has appeared) while the Thompson BG will, it's hoped, lead to other Thompson vehicles in the fullness of time as bogies and chassis will be already available.  Though needless to say the NGS has no influence over when - if at all - any such models might appear.

Incidentally, as prices continue their inexorable rise it will be interesting to see what the Inspection Saloon RRP is - it may not be that much less than the cost of joining the NGS and buying the coach at our price!

On a broader note I think we need to readjust our expectations bearing in mind the economic realities of the British N gauge market (relatively small, demanding, exceptionally price-conscious) and the well-documented changing dynamics of the manufacturing industry in China, with higher pay expectations and staff retention becoming significant issues.

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

Edited by Ben A

374-991Bulleid Three Coach Set in BR (SR) GreenAt last someone is listening, a SET of coaches......Thank you!Gerry

The picture on the Bachmann site doesn't scale up very well but to me it looks like there are set numbers added. These look like the only green bulleids being produced

Hallo,

I am glad that the announcement wasn't full of new models.

I feel BachFar need to complete the backlog of the models from the previous years, and who is to say that there will not be an announcement mid year of another model? 

If the list had included 20 new models or liveries (and without stepping on anybody's toes) these pages would in the next few months be full of "model late, BachFar doesn't answer my query, disappointed that time lines aren't kept" comments. 

I'm waiting patiently for the aircons, which will probalby be sold out very fast indeed, and hopefully we'll get a delivery date for the Motorail GUV soon.

But very pleased that grey roofed Pullmans are coming and of course the InterCity MK1s are a godsend for all Motorail fans, amongst others. 

Just a shame that again we are not being offered new style replacement B4 or Commonwealth bogies (- maybe one for RevolutioN Trains to pick up?!?)

es grüßt

pc

So not much new from Farish, probably no bad thing given progress to date on the announced items. Little progress from Dapol of late, still only vapourware from DJM and Hornby/Arnold massively p****d me off by sending me an offer of a big discount if I buy 2 BEL units when I already shelled out full price for one. I think N is stagnating pretty badly. A J72 in N will be nigh on useless without better couplers too. And if Dapol already plan one, would a better nod to Farish history not have been a GE buckjumper? And I say that as an NER modeller

I think this development should fuel us to follow the kickstarter path and either demonstrate to a manufacturer that there is a market for such things as the Desiro and Electrostar, or through the kickstarter, directly get one made. :)

I'll be one to say I'm quite happy with that; the pipe wagons are in the tool room finally, and a re-tooled class 40? Yes please to both of those! Multiples, in fact.

Hopefully they manage to get a reliable flow of BR 20 ton brake vans going, too. It seems the original batch sold out so quickly it took them by surprise and there's hasn't been any since!