Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Colonel Stephens, anyone?

Fascinating. A Colonel Stephens layout is on my To-Do list. Many years ago, I dug the original EM gauge Maidstone Road out of the shed where Bracknell Railway Society stored stuff. Les Darbyshire, who was involved in building it, did it up and exhibited it a few times, then built the Maidstone Road that was on the exhibition circuit for some years. We joined it to my GWR BLT at several of our club exhibitions, to produce a pretty impressive layout, and I often borrowed stock from it as I never had enough of my own when I exhibited my layout! There were no railcars running on it at the time though.

The Colonel takes over a Great Western branch line!

post-7091-0-13947900-1425578059.jpg

post-7091-0-73333700-1425578077.jpg

• Like 5

A bit more of the colonels empire http://www.telerail.co.uk/steambyways4.htm

I've got a rather tenuous link with the S&M. My Uncle Rex (my Dad's younger sister's husband) was stationed there at some time during WD days. He told a few stories of things he did there, but it's so long ago, and before I was very interested, so I've forgotten it all now!

• Like 2

I've got a rather tenuous link with the S&M. My Uncle Rex (my Dad's younger sister's husband) was stationed there at some time during WD days. He told a few stories of things he did there, but it's so long ago, and before I was very interested, so I've forgotten it all now!

My link is i still live by the old line, my father worked on it and my granddad was station master at pentre from 1936 till it closed in 1960. So in the 50s i had a real layout at the bottom of the garden.

• Like 5

I've got a pair of the railbuses, the 'open wagon' trailer and the 'lorry' version, all bought from Trevor Hughes when he wound up his Mawddwy Road P4 layout.  One of the problems with them is that they were built around a small RTR chassis - permanently!  To service the mechs means virtual destruction so they've been in a box for quite some time..

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Tim Chambers said:

Thanks Giles,fascinating! Any idea how those controls worked-strange looking!

Best wishes, Tim

If you mean the railcars, they are buses built on Ford Commercial chassis fitted with railway wheels & they just took the steering wheel away.

My father talked about travelling on one on the Hundred of Manhood & Selsey Bill Tramway in the 1930's

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2015 at 14:03, Giles said:

Now here's some unusual footage! Enough to give some inspiration......

Obviously filmed from a loco/train running in front.

Two trains on the same track at the same time.?????

Was that another Col Stephens oddity :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rab said:

Obviously filmed from a loco/train running in front.

Two trains on the same track at the same time.?????

Was that another Col Stephens oddity :)

It was his train set....:biggrin_mini2:

Cheers,

David

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

If you look at the photo no passengers were being carried and I guess the driving characteristics are closer to a bus than a train weighing several tons. Also the distance between camera and rail bus may have been far greater than it seems.

On a different note Robertsbridge station could be a very interesting modelling project, I have often thought that a light railway could make an interesting model and as my in laws only live a few miles away from it so I have visited the KESR several times over the years

On 26/12/2019 at 07:20, Tim Chambers said:

Thanks Giles,fascinating! Any idea how those controls worked-strange looking!

Best wishes, Tim

On 26/12/2019 at 09:44, johnofwessex said:

If you mean the railcars, they are buses built on Ford Commercial chassis fitted with railway wheels & they just took the steering wheel away.

Remember that the controls on a Ford model T are slightly different from a modern (i.e. post 1930s) car. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/6815.html

• Thanks 1