Highland Rail MK2 Coaches

D6775

After some pictures of some of the Highland Rail Green & Cream MK2's, particularly the ones not done by Bachmann for positioning of names etc. I've managed to acquire two spare TSO's. The list I have is:

BAILECHAUL                      9388       BSO        Bachmann (Highlander)

BALMACARA                      9385       BSO        Bachmann (MR)

BRAHAN SEER                   9414       BSO

CAPERCAILZIE                   5212       TSO        Bachmann (MR)

CLAN DONALD                   5191       TSO

CLAN FRASER                   5154       TSO

CLAN MACINTOSH             5234       TSO(T)

CLAN MACKENZIE             5166       TSO        Bachmann (MR)

CLAN MCLEOD                  5293       TSO        Bachmann (Highlander)

CLAN MUNRO                    5132       TSO

CLAN ROSS                       5139       TSO

CORRIEMOILLIE                 5230       TSO(T)  Bachmann (MR)

HEBREDIAN                       6300       DMU

I'm pretty sure at least one of the TSO's above is a TSO(T) as well. Any pictures or formation info greatly recieved.

Cheers,

Al

Edited to correct a number error and alter a TSO to TSO(T).

Edited by D6775

Hence I've tried my luck here!!

That's the  list of names of the set of Fox Transfers I have here. Lee (blueeighties on here) has done Hebredian for me last year and I've got all the Bachmann issue plus 2 extra TSO's to re-name, also got an option on another BSO, but we'll see.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Yes - In the 14 years since I started Scottish Modellers on Yahoo groups we have only found photos of 4 of them.

9385 is at Swithland on the GCR.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45726467@N02/6929015925

5154 is on the Linclonshire Wolds Railway (as noted above)

6300 is at Ruddington Barry Steam Railway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-7c/6866471481

There also seems to be a 'Mock Hebridean' coach at another railway centre but I can't find the reference at the moment.

5381 is on the Wensleydale Railway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/15167752387

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

Hi Al,

The phrase 'Rare as hens teeth' comes to mind when searching for images of these coaches....

The full set of names are available as decals from Railtec.

Thanks

We've got photos of a couple of these vehicles in the late 2000s at Tyseley which we can dig out and share where the numbers and names are still visible. Obviously they are faded by this point but they still retain their original markings (which is what we used when making the transfer set). There have, over the years, also been other photos of these vehicles around the web but like Phil mentions, they are few and far between.

As promised here are some of a very sorry looking Clan Fraser.

If needs be I can try and get some interior shots (do'nt think its been mucked about too much) as back again tomorrow assuming I've refreshed myself after the Hawkwind concert in Sheffield last night.

Any other "Hawkfans" out there as once again awesome show with the set including stuff from all the era's. Motorway City and Shot down in the Night to start and finish, irronically first time I ever saw them back in the 80's they were in the show too. Focus were a pretty useful support outfit too 

Have to work on her ladyship to let me head off to Download again

post-16796-0-85164300-1425452639.jpg

post-16796-0-64054800-1425452646.jpg

post-16796-0-78701200-1425452656.jpg

post-16796-0-16958600-1425452665.jpg

That reminds me, one of these rakes ended up in Aberdeen on three or four consecutive days and it took some working out why

From memory the winter timetable had commenced and one of the required rakes (ex-NSE) was still missing, but had just commenced inspection at Inverness, then entered service

Thanks for all the info guys.

Steve, if you can find the pictures of the Tyseley ones that would be great, I had forgotten about them, passed them a number of times on my trips to Solihull for physio a a couple of years ago.

Jacob, if you can get phots of the other side of the position of the name & number that would be great. Looks like CLAN FRASER will be one of my spare TSO's. Not bothered about the interiors, I'll not be going that far with them, just re-name/numbering!

If anyone can find any picture of the third brake, BRAHAN SEER, that could be useful.

Al.

Always happy to help. Here are a couple of shots from August 2008 which show the markings in perhaps slightly better condition. Sc5212 was in a difficult position to get any kind of decent shot, but the position of the markings can clearly be seen in Sc5193. If you need transfers for these, just let us know. We'd make sure to include the actual vehicle end markings for added authenticity as well.

2mm_3465-2.jpg

2mm_3465-3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the info guys.

Steve, if you can find the pictures of the Tyseley ones that would be great, I had forgotten about them, passed them a number of times on my trips to Solihull for physio a a couple of years ago.

Jacob, if you can get phots of the other side of the position of the name & number that would be great. Looks like CLAN FRASER will be one of my spare TSO's. Not bothered about the interiors, I'll not be going that far with them, just re-name/numbering!

If anyone can find any picture of the third brake, BRAHAN SEER, that could be useful.

Al.

Hi Al,

There was a full set of photos on Fotopic at one time - lost or just forgotten? Don't know.

Anyway, they have not reappeared anywhere that I can find.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taysider64/16584421362

Link to photo showing rake which comments state include Brahan Seer.

I've also noted that  5234 "Clan Mackintosh" and 5230 "Corriemollie" were both classified SO(T) rather than TSO(T) as they only had 2+1 seating.

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Attached are 3 photos of 5191, just after it had moved down to Tyseley from Longtown. 

If you look at the photo with the name on you can see the initials JC above the 'D' in Donald.  This the painters initials, his name was Jim Crow, from Inverness depot.  He lived up in Invergordan.  He told me the paint was actually mixed by Dulux.

Neil

post-717-0-63650600-1449663045_thumb.jpg

post-717-0-76963800-1449663069_thumb.jpg

post-717-0-56198500-1449663100.jpg

Edited by 198120
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Bennyboy,

Yes - This was:-

BR 56356 Class 101 DMU: Driving Trailer Composite Lavatory built 1958

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3060

This is part of the Bachmann 2016 releases:

39-005                  BR Mark 2A + Class 101 DTCL ‘Highlander Pack’ with Passenger figures

Edit to bring forward the release date by 90 years!

Edited by ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

This is part of the Bachmann 2106 releases:

39-005                  BR Mark 2A + Class 101 DTCL ‘Highlander Pack’ with Passenger figures

Hi Tony,

No surprise there!

Other than the anticipated price that is.....

Hattons price is £75.00 for Mk2 Coach and CL101 DTLC with passengers.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

This is part of the Bachmann 2106 releases:

I know some people have complained of lengthy delays at Bachmann but that takes the biscuit! ;)

Good to see a few more images of these Mk2s come to light.  Considering they were running in the later days of class 37 operation it's a surprise there are not more out there.  Despite the remote locations the locos were "bashed" quite regularly so someone somewhere should have a lot more photos of the stock.

The internally-modified coaches were not renumbered which is perhaps a surprise at a time when almost any change of significant generated a new number in order for TOPS to distinguish the types.  The 2+1 seats were fitted, as I understand it, to allow more space for the very significant number of backpacks carried in summer and which the owners were most reluctant to have placed out of sight in the guard's van.  

I managed a couple of trips (sadly without camera) in their latter days and with 156s already taking over some duties.  Kyle - Inverness on the afternoon train with the sun lowering behind and over the water seemed a fitting finale to locomotive haulage in the Highlands and all six coaches were comfortably filled.  A few weeks later two-car 156s took over with no luggage space, tightly-packed 2+2 seating and vociferous complaints of overcrowding ..... 

• 3 weeks later...

The internally-modified coaches were not renumbered which is perhaps a surprise at a time when almost any change of significant generated a new number in order for TOPS to distinguish the types.  The 2+1 seats were fitted, as I understand it, to allow more space for the very significant number of backpacks carried in summer and which the owners were most reluctant to have placed out of sight in the guard's van.  

The coaches which had 2+1 seating were not modified for the Kyle services, but were built with that seating arrangement on a separate lot number. They were classified SO rather than TSO and were originally used as dining cars.

• RMweb Gold
.  A few weeks later two-car 156s took over with no luggage space, tightly-packed 2+2 seating and vociferous complaints of overcrowding ..... 

Change it to "services started with 158's with no luggage space, tightly-packed 2+2 seating and vociferous complaints of overcrowding" and it sounds just like the Borders Railway opening! Plus ca change.....