Highland Rail MK2 Coaches

D6775

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I see from above the list regarding mk2s and names but can someone please confirm what an average rake would consist of.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

The number of Mk2 coaches used varied quite a lot.

No doubt there is something out there that gives the reasons - but if there is - I haven,t found it - Yet!

My personal experience tells me that it depended on the time of year, bank holiday, peak season, day of the week even.

The shortest I've come across is 3 coaches - inc the CL101 Observation car.

The longest I've come across is 6 coaches - inc the CL101 Observation car.

As seen in this photo:-

http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=4362833369&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2Fclass101%252Cscotrail%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%26textinput%3Dclass101%252Cscotrail%26photo_type%3D250%26method%3DGET%26noform%3Dt%26sort%3DInterestingness%23pic4362833369&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/11928221@N04/4362833369

Photos of the coaches are not that common - for whatever reason I don't think many people took photos of them.

Than ks

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mick,

Someone on here has the Scottish Region coaching stock book - they have quoted from it in the past. It will have specific instructions for train formation.

Having looked back at my comments book from when I first modelled this train, I noted some short formed occasions but came to the conclusion that the 'Normal' train was to be the rake of 6 including the Observation car.

At a later date, once Fotopic came into existance, I found after searching that it wasn't always the case.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

It was common for trains to be formed of four or five Mk2 coaches plus, when advertised, the observation car making a total of 5 or 6.  Longer trains were not normally permitted between Fort William and Mallaig and only the specially-arranged charters such as the Royal Scotsman were permitted more over the Kyle line.  Apart from six more than meeting customer demand the gradients would have required a second loco to be rostered which adds significantly to the operating cost.  Length of crossing loops wasn't an issue.

Off-season trains were shorter as demand was largely confined to a handful of locals.  Two coaches would have been sufficient but three was the shortest Mk2 formation I noted.  The observation car was not used.  Two-coach trains ran fairly regularly in the Mk1 era.

Formations typically included a pair of SO coaches either side of the brake, or three one side and one the other, and the observation car always at the east end.  The supplement for travel in this was lower for the return journey when the view from the end (former driving cab) windows was restricted by it being right behind the loco!

• Like 1

Found these among my photos.

Muir of Ord 1993... probably September?. Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh.

Sorry theres not much detail. I've tried enlarging the rake but  it's impossible to make out even the coach names as it's gold on green.

post-13274-0-88929500-1459718021.jpg

post-13274-0-44897000-1459718041.jpg

Alan

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Came across this thread at the weekend when researching for a future project. These two photos were taken in 1989 - August I'm pretty sure - on my one and only visit to the Kyle line. As can be seen the weather performed well... :( This was the year that the Ness bridge was down so Kyle trains ran from Dingwall. The quality isn't good but I hope they are of interest. 

Interestingly in the pic at Kyle here is another green/cream vehicle at the stops by the quay. Unfortunately I have no other real recollections of the day save for the very nice young lady doing the commentary the ops car! It staggers me that this was nearly 30 years ago!

I have plans to get up there again next year, fingers crossed.

post-14258-0-47254600-1473702779_thumb.jpg

post-14258-0-28110700-1473702780_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Hopefully when the hattons ltd edition with obs car comes out I should be able tomake a ease of 6. But that does depend on how long it will tale for them to turn up.

Had an email from Hattons today to say that my order for the Bachmann Highlander coach pack has now been posted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This topic is exciting and interisting. 

I have the Highlander set Bachmann and I just bought the box with a coach and the class 101 DTCL.

I regret that the Bachmann models are not equipped with lights.

I wanted to know if in reality the class 101 DTCL was motorized ?

Edited by Module00

• RMweb Gold

This topic is exciting and interisting. 

I have the Highlander set Bachmann and I just bought the box with a coach and the class 101 DTCL.

I regret that the Bachmann models are not equipped with lights.

I wanted to know if in reality the class 101 DTCL was motorized ?

DTCL stands for Driving Trailer Composite Lavatory, so no it wasn't powered.

• RMweb Premium

Ok thank you very much.

There was a locomotive at the other end of train ? A reversible train?

The locomotive was always at the front of the train. At the outer end of the line it would be run round the train.

The formation of the train stayed the same. The ex-DMU observation car was on the rear going out to Kyle of Lochalsh allowing passengers almost unrestricted views through its side and end windows. On the return trip the loco was coupled in front of this vehicle (see second photo in post 32) meaning the view was through the side windows only. The end windows gave a view only of the locomotive a few feet in front.

Because of this difference the supplement for travelling in the observation car was less on the return trip than outward.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Never on a regular basis.  There was only one observation car set and that was required six days a week for the booked Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh working.  On Sundays it would normally have been under maintenance at Inverness depot.  

It is possible that it made a special or charter trip north of Dingwall either when released from maintenance on a Sunday or out of season when the observation car was normally stored. Three or four of the green / cream coaches could sometimes be found in use all winter however using a shortened formation to match the lower patronage at that time of year.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Kyle of Lochalsh. 1989 37419

37407 Kyle of Lochalsh 250591 D

Interesting. In the top picture from 1989 the 101 observation car has its original windows, which might be expected. However, in the lower picture, dated 1991, it has single, sealed windows.

Wonder what provoked that change? Although different sides of the vehicle in the picture, have to assume that the windows were changed rather than having sliding windows on one side only.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Interesting. In the top picture from 1989 the 101 observation car has its original windows, which might be expected. However, in the lower picture, dated 1991, it has single, sealed windows.

Wonder what provoked that change? Although different sides of the vehicle in the picture, have to assume that the windows were changed rather than having sliding windows on one side only.

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than me might know the answer, but perhaps it was due to the Scottish weather vs rattley old DMU windows? While trying to find out the answer I did come across some nice close up pictures of it.

6300 is a former Class 101 Met-Camm D M U DTCL (54346) and was converted into an ''Observation Saloon '

49869366191_8a0478d281_b.jpg Observation Saloon . 6300 . Inverness Station . 22nd-June-1988

Class 101 Observation car Kyle of Lochalsh

101 6300 Inverness SC 10

Also I never realised that it was used in in earlier years with a blue grey livery. Another possible Ltd Edition for Bachmann perhaps?

Kyle Observation Saloon

16 hours ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi there,

Good photo and it has one of the ex NSE mk2 that I have been searching for number of.

Yeah, I also posted it in the protype for everything thread as it's interesting for a variety of reasons.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Also I never realised that it was used in in earlier years with a blue grey livery. Another possible Ltd Edition for Bachmann perhaps?

Kyle Observation Saloon

Thanks for this, I was never aware of this train/colour scheme combination either - Inverness Stag to boot!

Also, for those that missed it, the third coach in the first picture appears to be in NSE colours as well.

Edited by scottystitch

There was a spare DMU car in Blue or Blue / Grey livery beside Inverness carriage depot circa 1988 when the green one was working Inverness to Kyle.    Not sure if it ever ran or was for spares.   Some of the photo dates seem very late. I thought the Mk2's came off when the Ness Viaduct was rebuilt and 156 Sprinters took over.

• Informative/Useful 1