Interesting DRS working on disused branch today. Anybody know why?

meurglys3

Hi folks

A pair of DRS class 20s (20 305 & 20 308) were today sighted on the "Kelbit" branch/spur of the old Haydock/St Helens branch off the WCML at Golborne. There was no rolling stock, just the two locos coupled together.

This is the first working on this track for several years according to friends who live in houses backing on to the line, which used to run to Haydock racecourse but was severed at Edge Green in the 1980s/90s.

Dose anyone have any idea what the purpose was? There is a Hanson aggregates railhead at the end of the spur, I don't know if the site is still operational though. The offices are boarded up.

Pictures exist, but I am awaiting permission from the lady who took them before I post them here.

I can find no mention of the working on realtime trains etc. Any info would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The same pair of whistling wardrobes also visited Okehampton off the Barnstaple branch near Exeter last Thursday for the same reason- Pathfinder tours charter.

• RMweb Gold

Get around abit don't they!!

they certainly do, ive taken 20305 (paired with 20301) down the cambrian to machynlleth a few times!

the cab view pic of mikes shows the crossing where when i was collecting a pair of 70s from the docks last year a wagon ignored the lights and drove across the track in front of me

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Pete,

There was a railtour down there in Sept 91, it stopped the traffic on the road and there was a large crowd watching. I got there quite early on my trusty Raleigh mountain bike (I was 14 at the time so showing my age). By the time the railtour appeared the crowd had increased and passing car drivers asking what was happening. 37706 and I think 47479 where the locos top and tailed with Intercity liveried Mk1's. There was some footage on Youtube of the railtour at this location but I cannot find it now. This railtour with 37706 visited quite alot of freight branches aswell,think after Haydock it headed over to the Bickershaw branch which is now long closed -lifted?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Here's the pair of 20's at Wigan North Western on platform 1 on 3/3/2015.  The last time I saw a train down the Haydock/St Helens branch off the WCML at Golborne was (I think) a Crewe to Ashton In Makerfield loaded stone that was top n tailed by a pair of Freightliner class 66's which must have been in 2010/2011 going to the Hanson site that's down there.

post-25512-0-36630800-1425934052_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

I have been informed by a local resident that a class 60 hauled stone train made the trip down the branch today.

Looking at Realtime Trains, it seems there is another working this evening from GBRF Tuebrook sidings, maybe these are test/training runs?

Anyway I'm off out to have a look in a minute, see if it makes an appearance.

:-)

• RMweb Gold

I have been informed by a local resident that a class 60 hauled stone train made the trip down the branch today.

Looking at Realtime Trains, it seems there is another working this evening from GBRF Tuebrook sidings, maybe these are test/training runs?

Anyway I'm off out to have a look in a minute, see if it makes an appearance.

:-)

Worked empty from Tuebrook Sidings to Shap last night, loaded from Shap to Tuebrook sidings early this morning.

The first half worked to Ashton-in-Makerfield this morning and then came back empty, the loco then collected the second half and took it to A-i-M, it is currently on the way back from A-i-M running 69 early at Bamfurlong.

• Like 1