Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What colour to paint the railway room?

We've had the loft conversion finished now, I'm now wondering what the best colour to paint it for spread of light etc 

The loft room is from the ridge to the eves as per the really bad diagram below:

|\

|   \

|      \

| 0     \

| |    ___\

|/\_____ | \

My roof isn't as steep as that thankfully, the layout being positioned under the eves just below waist height 

So, been thinking a sky blue so there is no need for a back scene but that might be too dark, not sure about all over white

So, any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

• RMweb Premium

White every time.  If it is too bright (which I doubt) adjust the lighting. 

Off white if you must, but I doubt there is any real advantage. 

Blue for sky?  No.  Most of the time the sky is not unbroken blue - in fact more often it is unbroken grey.

Blue for sky?  No.  Most of the time the sky is not unbroken blue - in fact more often it is unbroken grey.

While that is true, especially here in Lancashire, my layout is a late 1940's seaside resort town just starting to enjoy the post war boom in tourism, so blue skies and donkeys, while perhaps rare, wouldn't be too far fetched :)

Don't forget that normally the sky is brightest close to the horizon.

Starting with a just off-white at baseboard level and the getting progressively a little darker (greyer? bluer?) as you get to the apex of the roof would produce a surprisingly realistic effect. A perfectly graded transition would be a near impossible task for an amateur, but it's meant to represent the sky and the sky is rarely a perfectly graded transition either, a lot can be done with sponges while the paint is still wet.

• RMweb Premium

I painted the loft (railway room) light blue in my last house and it was fine.

In my current house the railway room is on the ground floor, I've again painted it light blue (but with white ceiling) to act as a backscene, I think it is great - trains runnng under the blue summer sky - nice and cheerfull.

• RMweb Premium

I painted the loft (railway room) light blue in my last house and it was fine.

In my current house the railway room is on the ground floor, I've again painted it light blue (but with white ceiling) to act as a backscene, I think it is great - trains runnng under the blue summer sky - nice and cheerfull.

The colour I used was Johnstone's paint, Blue Horizon

• RMweb Premium

What type of lighting is there and where is it mounted? 

If the budget allows, some daylight photographic floodlamps give good coverage and a natural colour/cast. I've used http://karlu.com/continuous-studio-kits-daylight-balanced-studio-lighting-kits-c-806_717_792.html and have been happy with their lamps - usual disclaimer. 

Pale blue or light grey. Trouble is, this is entirely down to personal preference. What will suit some people will have others reaching for the paint chart. White has been suggested but I couldn't disagree more. Having renovated several houses and then sold them on, white is often an easy choice for any room (like magnolia!) and is seen as a blank canvas for the next owner. Paint any room white and you highlight the slightest imperfection in the surface of the wall. Even the best plasterer is only human... In my opinion (and it is only an opinion), you have to add a little wall colour. I think this is especially true of a railway room. Pale sky blue is fine... so it tries to mimic a sunny summer's day, but aren't we all trying to create an illusion with our model railways? Go for pale grey if you're more into a gritty urban look. You could do worse than grab an offcut of MDF and a few tester pots and just see what works for you.

Edit: Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but go for a dead flat matt. If you use a paint with any kind of "satin" or "sheen", then whatever lighting you use will cause the paint to "glow" in certain areas, and that's probably not a desired effect!

• RMweb Gold

The problem I have found with some colours described by the manufacturers as greys is that they can take on a lot of different hues depending on the light. I have just repainted a room which was supposed to be grey, but when the sun shone on the house at the end of the garden it took on a distinctly lilac look. 

There is no substitute IMHO for investing in three or four sample pots and trying out in different parts and with different lighting types / positions. After all, you don't really want the sky to turn green when your favourite express loco passes through.

Magnolia or similar colour for the walls, white ceiling, daylight LED wide angle spots on a track in the centre and wall mounted warm white flourescents.

Suits me for railway and my wife for her hobbies, we both also use anglepoise type work lights for localised light.

John

• RMweb Gold

I've got Dulux Timeless.  Mainly because it's off white and we had loads left after painting a lot of the bungalow....  It does have the added virtue of appearing to change shade a bit depending on whether it's in bright or dull light, and I quite like that.

Grey - and use lots of different shades.

Geoff Endacott

Excuse me?

This be the train room, we'll have none of that naughtiness in here!

11ixkFvZZkOnw_1.jpg

Or you might need this one

11JkPF672L9G._1.jpg

Don't forget that normally the sky is brightest close to the horizon.

The sky is not brightest close to the horizon but it is the least saturated hue on the horizon. There is a difference. Where the sky is brightest will depend on the sun and cloud.

I'd paint the room brilliant white. You can add the back scene. You want as much light in the space as possible.

Archived