Silver Fox Models

south_tyne

And still moving forward...

post-7204-0-14850400-1538146910_thumb.jpg post-7204-0-05549300-1538146932_thumb.jpg

First lot of airbrush weathering done. It needs a little darkening along the top of the under frame as shadow under the body, them some hand weathering with oil spills and battery box leaks (acid?!)

I've set up the lights to show red tail codes at one end and a white headcode numbers at the other where the full buffer beam detail will be. I still need to increase the lengths of the wires so I can refit the body!

The loose green wire will be for the light in the leading cab.

Not had any luck with setting up the smoke unit yet,

Next task is to work on those buffer beams!

Luke

• Like 2

Hi All,

Another recommend from me - great kits and I have enjoyed building the two I have worked on this far. They need a bit of thinking about but that’s what makes them a good kit building experience in my book! I have done the GWR gas turbines, 18000 (finished) and 18100 (nearly done!).

18000 - full write up is on Little Didcot below.

attachicon.gif04881930-0D8B-4824-85D5-8D2AB88248F8.jpeg

18100 - I just have the bogies and cab interior to do. This is a much earlier stage of progress and I will write it up when I’m done on Little Didcot too!

attachicon.gif6FD8802B-0575-4D42-9C5B-5062FE5EBBCD.jpeg

Lovely work on the model by the way Luke!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle,

Thanks for your kind words!

18100 is something i was wondering about for a future project (as E1000) so I'll be interested to see how yours goes. I like what you've done with 18000.

Good luck with 18100,

Luke

Hi Luke,

E1000 will be a cool direction to go - its not a well known prototype so will be really good to see in model form! I found that the current Bachmann Class 47 chassis requires the edges of the plastic bit trimming back quite a bit to get it all to fit but it all goes eventually. As these kits the require a conversion, they don't just fall together but they are great things to build none the less. Trickiest bit for me was fixing the new bogie sides to the existing frames but its all do-able.

I look forward to seeing the finished job on your project too!

All the best,

Castle

Hi JSpencer,

Nice job! The W.R. Gas Turbines are imposing looking beasts in my humble opinion - I'm surprised that the likes of Heljan or even Rapido haven't pounced on them. I'll bet that the very moment i hand this one finished, to my mate, there will be an announcement...

The kit is much more satisfying in my book however!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a mass of Silver Fox stuff on Ebay at the moment.

A part built Brown Boverii Gas Turbine which looks clean and umpteen DMUs.

Read the notification on the DMUs carefully. Some are the sides only and others have the cabs and underframes and are complete kits.

I am in no way suggesting that there is anything dodgy going on, just make sure you know what you are bidding on to avoid disappointment!

I for one have not read adverts properly in the past and have been, by my own fault, properly sponned!!!!!

The kits themselves are excellent. The sides are clean and sharp and the resin is high quality.

I am a satisfied customer.

C.

Bought that Brown Boveri, arrived today. Looking forward to making a start.

post-18087-0-88928800-1538518455_thumb.jpg

post-18087-0-61933100-1538518480_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

I don't know if you have a copy of this but I found it invaluable when I was building both GWR Turbine locos. Loads of lovely obscure details!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Western-Railway-Gas-Turbines/dp/B00129ADD2

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks, just bought it and had a look through your impressive thread. Mine won't be as detailed as yours, but hopefully will look something like it should :)

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a clear photo of the horn mounting on a 74? I haven't yet found a photo taken from above.. R.S.Carters' drawing seems to suggest the horns are on a flat plate but I can't work out if that is flush with the roof surface, below the roof surface or proud of the roof surface.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Luke

Hi JSpencer,

Nice job! The W.R. Gas Turbines are imposing looking beasts in my humble opinion - I'm surprised that the likes of Heljan or even Rapido haven't pounced on them. I'll bet that the very moment i hand this one finished, to my mate, there will be an announcement...

The kit is much more satisfying in my book however!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks but in this case, I brought as RTR as any spare time I have for kits will now go on GT3 and a Fell, so all credit to Silver Fox.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just noticed on the Silver Fox ebay shop that they are offering sets of parts to make a Southern/BR southern region 4 COR 'one eyed Nelson'. The cab fronts and underframe parts are resin and the sides are flexible plastic overlays with laser cut glazing. They recommend using Bachmann Bulleid coaches as donor vehicles. This model is not in the Silver Fox website yet.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Re. 4 COR, they also offer a number of DMU's on the same basis of construction, inc. 114, 119, 120 and Trans-Pennine.

I think the idea is that you remove the window area of the donor coach, and fit in its place the piece of clear plastic as a large block. The laser cut thin plastic overlay should be painted bodyside colour and then attached over the coach side so that the clear plastic forms the windows. The idea in priciple is not so different from the old Southern Pride one of fixing vinyl overlay sides onto a clear plastic shell.

John.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2019 at 09:36, rembrow said:

Just noticed on the Silver Fox ebay shop that they are offering sets of parts to make a Southern/BR southern region 4 COR 'one eyed Nelson'. The cab fronts and underframe parts are resin and the sides are flexible plastic overlays with laser cut glazing. They recommend using Bachmann Bulleid coaches as donor vehicles. This model is not in the Silver Fox website yet.

Do you have the link for this please, my searches aren't turning anything up.

Thanks,

Chris

17 minutes ago, chrism993 said:

Do you have the link for this please, my searches aren't turning anything up.

Thanks,

Chris

It looks like the last of the 4 COR kits was sold on the 19th July, but sure they will be relisted when further stock is available. The attached link may work, which is to the last completed listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Fox-SR-4COR-EMU-Conversion-Kit/202732297030?hash=item2f33c95b46:g:RJEAAOSwNHBdKQ8f

14 hours ago, rembrow said:

It looks like the last of the 4 COR kits was sold on the 19th July, but sure they will be relisted when further stock is available. The attached link may work, which is to the last completed listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Fox-SR-4COR-EMU-Conversion-Kit/202732297030?hash=item2f33c95b46:g:RJEAAOSwNHBdKQ8f

Thanks for that, the kit looks a bit beyond my capabilities - looks like they'll be getting a couple of orders for the rtr.

• 3 months later...

Indeed, as John says (above), Silver Fox appears on eBay as SK Modeller. I have only just received a class 123 DMU conversion kit from them, bought on eBay a week or two ago, so yes, they are definitely still around.

On 24/10/2019 at 14:06, Signal Box Cat said:

Hi everybody,

is there anything wrong with Silver Fox model kits? I cannot establish any kind of contact for an order, neither by phone nor by email!

The Signal Box cat

Hi, I managed to get an Irish rail GSV and Mark 3 push pull set from Silver Fox this year.  It did take several goes to get an email response, but all worked out in the end.  My initial contact was february, stock arrived at end of August.  I suspect a very busy one man band.

I would suggest keep trying, be patient, and eventually you'll get what you are after.20190830_120601.jpg.eb616ea0b16665d88e13c1501b1eac7c.jpg.a56f0101ccc3ec7c4ee361bd12d16145.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
felt like adding a picture
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Signal Box Cat said:

Hi,

can anybody suggest a manufacturer of BR pantographs (kits?) in 00 scale as used with no E2001? Bachmann answered they do not supply such items as a single piece but only fitted to a locomotive body.

The Signal Box Cat

Sommerfeldt are the people for pantographs.