Silver Fox Models

south_tyne

• 6 months later...

I've just spent £56 on replacement bogies for my Triang detailed Blue Pullman, plus £30 for a set of the recommended Hornby 14mm wheels, I have to say the bogies are awful quality, they are like the replica glue together bogies and were assembled prior to sending, the 8 coach bogies are too wide to accept the Hornby wheels and out of the 6 motor bogies only one is useable, the other 5 are all skewed and will require taking apart and reassembly if it doesn't render them useless.

20200522_161843.jpg

20200522_153328.jpg

20200522_153337.jpg

Have spoken to Chris at Silver Fox, they are to have a look at how these bogies are made and will be looking at modifying them, and got a complete refund, more than happy with the after service and hope future bogies are a better product.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

E2001 prototype again. Silver Fox didn´t answer my questions but I found some of his kits on ebay, E2001 as well. The locomotive is approaching its final detailing but there is one problem, the 1/16" white stripe along its body. Can anybody recommend a shop, manufacture, etc for this item?

Thanks,

The Signal Box cat

• 4 months later...

Now that they have produced another batch of the Hunslet dock shunter models, I took the opportunity to add a green liveried one to my "fleet"....

DSCF5185a.JPG.47d92b5087eafeeffe7ade7f599f7e5b.JPG

It joins a black liveried one that I scratchbuilt from plasticard on a Model-Power chassis about 15 years ago. I didn't do too badly, dimensionally, with my version, which was built purely by reference to photographs!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Very nice. I've been after one of these for a while. I'm wondering what chassis are out there now Black Beetles have gone. I'll have a ponder and might get one soon-ish.

I'd prefer not to use what looks like a Hornby Class 90 bogie if possible. I'll see if anything in the High Level range fits.

Also the Y6 is back!

Jason

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Very nice. I've been after one of these for a while. I'm wondering what chassis are out there now Black Beetles have gone. I'll have a ponder and might get one soon-ish.

I'd prefer not to use what looks like a Hornby Class 90 bogie if possible. I'll see if anything in the High Level range fits.

Also the Y6 is back!

Jason

I gave mine a quick run when it finally appeared in the post today. I bought an RTR one from them as it saved a lot of messing around when I'm still trying to complete the rest of the layout so I can get things running again. Whatever Hornby chassis they use, it is a quiet runner, though i haven't checked its haulage capacity yet. certainly a lot better than the cheap Model-Power one I used in my scratchbuilt version.

I know someone who bought a Hunslet body at an Alexandra Palace show when they first came out and he fitted a Tenshodo chassis to his which has subsequently "died" recently. He tagged an order for one of the Silver Fox provided chassis on to my loco order to fix his model....

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

Saw this and thought "Silver Fox Class 74" .......

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3374-class-71-71012-br-blue-missing-pantograph/

Any interest to a prospective SF Class 74 kit builder out there? (I'd like one but have had to ban myself from adding anything else to my already-far-too-long project list :( !)

Just tried to purchase it, but got the message that they won't ship to my address (in Australia).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone purchased a Silver Fox 4Cor kit or ready to run model. I’m not sure my skill levels are up to the kit and the rtr is a lot of money without knowing more.

many thanks all

6 hours ago, lash said:

Has anyone purchased a Silver Fox 4Cor kit or ready to run model. I’m not sure my skill levels are up to the kit and the rtr is a lot of money without knowing more.

many thanks all

Yes I have a rtr 4Cor from Silver Fox and they also produce a 4Buf and 4Gri, which are not listed on their website. I have a 4Buf. They use adapted Bachmann Bulleid 63ft coach chassis and modified sides. The power bogie is a Hornby 4Vep. I'm not sure if they will be able to use the 4Vep power bogie on future batches as it seems to be unavailable from normal spares suppliers. 

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Yes I have a rtr 4Cor from Silver Fox and they also produce a 4Buf and 4Gri, which are not listed on their website. I have a 4Buf. They use adapted Bachmann Bulleid 63ft coach chassis and modified sides. The power bogie is a Hornby 4Vep. I'm not sure if they will be able to use the 4Vep power bogie on future batches as it seems to be unavailable from normal spares suppliers. 

Many thanks. I think the 2 Bil power bogie can be used. If you have any pics that would be brilliant. 

Are they good runners ? 

many thanks

14 hours ago, lash said:

Many thanks. I think the 2 Bil power bogie can be used. If you have any pics that would be brilliant. 

Are they good runners ? 

many thanks

The 4buf was a better runner than the 4cor. The reason was that the 4buf had the 4vep motor with traction tyres, which in my view is needed for a 4 car unit, with only one powered bogie. I changed the wheelset on the 4cor, which I think was fitted with a 2bil motor bogie, which didn't have traction tyres. I had to open up the apertures in the bogie frame as the 4vep axles are a wider diameter. The benefit of getting ready to run is the excellent paint finish which I couldn't achieve and you can specify the set number you want. You don't get a choice of the motor bogie, it will depend on what they can source. You will also have to wait for a build date as John Hazleton builds in batches. I also have Class 123 and 124 trans pennine models from SF which are also excellent. I had to do some corrective work on the 4cor as one of the resin moulded cab fronts was distorted where it joined tbe body. I masked off and used car body filler to correct the distortion and patch painted with Precision Paints Southern Region green. Hope this helps.

Edited by rembrow
  • Thanks 1