Locos Swanage area 1955 - 1960

Because of a 'permanent land-slip' at New Barn Farm ( half-way-ish between Swanage, and Harmans Cross) there was a axle loading limit of 20 tons on the line, so any class exceeding the limit was banned from 'the branch'. Although about 1956 BR dug out the embankment, and filled it with a mixture of ballast, and concrete, it never moved again but the weight limit remained.

After preservation the bank was electronically tested for movement over a period of time, and no movement was detected, then later all the over-bridges were improved, and upgraded in preparation to take Merchant Navy class locos, starting with 34027 'Port Line' when it was still under the ownership of 'Southern Locomotive Group'*.

Now it's up to you to work out which classes came under 20 tons, I don't know if it would include the likes of 'Arthurs', and 'Nelsons'.

* Now 'Southern Locomotives Limited'.

There are a good few books on the Swanage branch in that period. M7s were the most common sight, Ivatt 2-6-2s. Std 4mt tanks and 2-6-0s. I think original Bulleids were seen on through trains on summer Saturdays. But I am only working on memory from photos and books.

Archived