India's Frontier Railways

AMJ

BBC4 will be showing this 3 part series starting on Thursday 12 March

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055tn14

From a clip I saw the other day it would appear the Nepalese line looks like the Janakpur-Jaynager line which I rode on a few years ago.  Other lines include the train to Bangladesh which used to be the directroute to Assam from Calcutta I fancied doing that but a tour operator suggested this would be too complex to do.  The other line mentioned is the one to Pakistan.

I have been on the line into Nepal which is on this week. It's an unofficial way into the country as there is no border check.

The line is being converted from 2foot 6 to 5 foot 6.

[Edit]

Remove a typo when posted on mobile version of site.

Absolutely brilliant programmes, showing a great empathy with the people as well as the railways. Very sad to see the Nepal line is to be shut for three years whilst it is broadened, leaving 150 people and all those who relied on the line (for purposes we would question in any other circumstance but highly understandable here) with a very uncertain future. At least Indian Railways are coming to the rescue in the long term, but it is so sad to see another narrow gauge line disappear. 

I wonder what will happen to the dozen or so British-built steam locos rotting away in the old sheds. Some preservation societies would relish having a few of those, but I would guess the cost of transporting them would be horrendous, even if any of them are in a salvageable state.

The fate of the narrow gauge steamers interested me as well, a quick trawl of the internet has not revealed any clues. It'd be nice to know whether they have survived the upheaval.

All in, I thought the Nepali episode was the best of all of the indian railway documentaries we have seen yet. Truely fascinating.

See the IRFCA site as this has details for the Nepalese steam locomotive. In the UK there would only be Statfold and Welsh pool able to use them. Boilers were a bit worn from what I remember in 2003.

Sticking to my promise to include some photos when I visited the Nepal line.

0412APS2%2003.jpg

Pashupati - one of the HE 4-6-0T WD locomotives built after WWI 1537/1926 at Khajuri taken in December 2004

0412APS1%2021.jpg

7  "Shree Bishnu"     0-6-2T 2'6"  Hunslet Engine Co 3684/1949 

Above photos are on my Leeds Engine Site taken by me.

• RMweb Premium

The Garratt seen on shed in the programme is Beyer-Peacock 6736 built for Nepal railways in 1932

It is a 2-6-2 + 2-6-2 wheel arrangement and 762mm (2' 6") gauge

IMHO definitely a candidate for repatriation!

Keith

Both of the BP Garratt's were still at Khajuri when I visited in 2004 along with many 0-6-2T of Hunslet build plus some 0-8-0 OK products.  As some locos have fairly recently come back to the UK from India I presume if they were placed into ISO containers they could be quite cheaply shipped to the UK.  Obviously the big BP's would need to be split into engine and boiler units.

All that is needed is a person with a large bank balance to buy and ship these back to the UK.

See IRFCA page for steam survivors in Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

http://www.irfca.org/docs/locolists/steam-pbn.html

Interestingly there is one East Pakistan (Bangladesh) steam loco in an Indian museum at Howrah and the note claims it it still technically belongs to Bangladesh Railways but it was in India when the boder was shut to rail traffic and it has remained there since. 

The link to Pakistan from India is tonight on BBC4.  Another challenging line politically.  One year I was on a sleeper in India a very pretty young Indian lass started talking to us.  She mentioned she was in the army as was her husband.  He had served with UN as a peace keeping force and mentioned they had all got on with the other nationals and he was still in email contact with some Pakistani soldiers.  It's just the politicians that argue not the men on the ground.

If you get a chance to see the boder closing ceremony between India/Pakistan on the road between Lahore and Amritsar it's well worth doing.  There was a clip in Palin's Hmalya trip.See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9y2qtaopbE

• 4 months later...

24th August at 2100 on BBC2 sees the start of India season.  There is an hour long programme on Indian Railways.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02xtt6j

It features the commuter services into Mumbai - I have done these and they are such fun.  The wallahs taking the tiffin tins into Mumbai for the workers before lunch.  Plus steam on the Darjeeling Himalaya Railway.  When the weather is right I have sat on a station bench enjoying the sight of the Himalayas with steam shunting the station, memories of steam, curry and beer........

Before I went to India on the first trip I knew I'd not get to eat pork or beef but at one hotel in Darjeeling they served roast beef and Yorkshire's on a Sunday and another day they served a Nepalese pork dish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02xtt6j/broadcasts/upcoming

​Has programmes on Monday to Thursday at the same time - all are about Indian Railways.

Archived