North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Talking to my Dad last night I realised I'd got the driver's name wrong.

It was Norman Wills not Jack Wills. I've edited the previous post accordingly.

Thanks Rab, have you ever asked if there's any photos of the NCR or Bodmin lines in the family archives?

(100th post)

• RMweb Premium

It's also possible that the person in question was known as "Jack".  Memory isn't always playing tricks.  I haven't turned up any definitive records of Wadebridge loco staff in a fair few years of occasional research.  And to date have only met one person who remembers working alongside my great uncle George Vile.  His recollections accorded with ours as well - "Driver George" wasn't to be trifled with and would suffer neither fools nor camera-wielding enthusiasts.  The words specifically used to describe him were "Cantankerous old bu&&er".  My family concur!

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have quite a few books on the Withered Arm but was wondering if anyone recommends any of the following:

The Withered Arm: The Southern West of Exeter (Railway World Special) Paperback – 22 Sep 1988 by P. W. B. Semmens (Author), Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN-10: 0711018065

The Steaming Sixties: Days That Were - The Withered Arm in Cornwall No. 4 Hardcover – Sep 2009 by Peter Coster, Irwell Press (Sept. 2009), ISBN-10: 1906919097

Southern West of Salisbury Hardcover – 12 Nov 1984 by Terry Gough, Littlehampton Book Services Ltd; ISBN-10: 0860933415

Southern Holiday Lines in North Cornwall and West Devon Paperback – 30 Oct 1995 by Alan Bennett, Runpast Publishing, ISBN-10: 1870754352 

Steam Colour Portfolio, Vol. 1: Southern & Western Lines Hardcover – Aug 2004 by Keith R. Pirt, Book Law Publications, ISBN-10: 1901945367

The Atlantic Coast Express: The Bude Branch 1995 by David J. Wroe, Waterfront Publications; ASIN: B003TMM4F0

Portrait of the Atlantic Coast Express Hardcover – 27 Mar 1997 by S. Austin Ian Allan Publishing; ISBN-10: 0711024723

The Southern Railway's Withered Arm (View from the Past) Hardcover – 26 Nov 1998 by Stephen Austin, Ian Allan Publishing; ISBN-10: 071102622X

An Illustrated History of the Atlantic Coast Express (Illustrated Histories) – 6 May 2010 by John Scott-Morgan, Oxford Publishing Co; ISBN-10: 0860936341

• RMweb Premium

I have quite a few books on the Withered Arm but was wondering if anyone recommends any of the following:

The Withered Arm: The Southern West of Exeter (Railway World Special) Paperback – 22 Sep 1988 by P. W. B. Semmens (Author), Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN-10: 0711018065

The Steaming Sixties: Days That Were - The Withered Arm in Cornwall No. 4 Hardcover – Sep 2009 by Peter Coster, Irwell Press (Sept. 2009), ISBN-10: 1906919097

Southern West of Salisbury Hardcover – 12 Nov 1984 by Terry Gough, Littlehampton Book Services Ltd; ISBN-10: 0860933415

Southern Holiday Lines in North Cornwall and West Devon Paperback – 30 Oct 1995 by Alan Bennett, Runpast Publishing, ISBN-10: 1870754352 

Steam Colour Portfolio, Vol. 1: Southern & Western Lines Hardcover – Aug 2004 by Keith R. Pirt, Book Law Publications, ISBN-10: 1901945367

The Atlantic Coast Express: The Bude Branch 1995 by David J. Wroe, Waterfront Publications; ASIN: B003TMM4F0

Portrait of the Atlantic Coast Express Hardcover – 27 Mar 1997 by S. Austin Ian Allan Publishing; ISBN-10: 0711024723

The Southern Railway's Withered Arm (View from the Past) Hardcover – 26 Nov 1998 by Stephen Austin, Ian Allan Publishing; ISBN-10: 071102622X

An Illustrated History of the Atlantic Coast Express (Illustrated Histories) – 6 May 2010 by John Scott-Morgan, Oxford Publishing Co; ISBN-10: 0860936341

A slim classic (76 pages) is 'The Withered Arm -Reminiscences of the Southern lines west of Exeter' by T.W.E. Roche. This is a contemporary account of the lines by Roche who knew them from the period between the wars to the closures of the mid-1960s. The book was first published in 1967 but was reprinted a number of times up to 2002. Roche himself died in 1972.

Although out of print it can be found from a number of sources such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Withered-Arm-Reminiscences-Southern/dp/B0018BDEO4

I have the 2002 edition which is the one with the yellow cover. Not expensive and well worth it.

David

• RMweb Premium

Are there any good books on the North Cornwall Railway not mentioned above (other than the Irwell Press Illustrated History)?

There's various books covering the area here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69736-pencarrow-bridge-starting-bodmin-station-buildings/?p=1062179

And DVDs here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69736-pencarrow-bridge-starting-bodmin-station-buildings/page-14&do=findComment&comment=1047438

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visited our local preserved railway at the weekend and was thumbing through a pile of old mags. In the Nov 2002 edition of Steam World I found an article about Maunsell Moguls. Interesting, particularly as on page 61 there's a photo of 31809 backing on to a Exeter bound train at Wadebridge.

The caption reads "Maunsell U 31809 backs on to the 12:58 Padstow to Waterloo train at Wadebridge station to work forward, on Whit Monday, May 18 1959."

31809 is one of the low footplate U Class locos and a rare find on the NCR. Any more sightings folks?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Chris

Towards the start of this topic you mentioned updating and posting your Illustrated History Of The NCR spreadsheet of coach diagrams on the NCR with references to the Hornby possibilities. Did you ever complete this? Just hoping!

Can you please confirm which T9s up to now are correct for the NCR out of the box ? 

Cheers

Brendan

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Towards the start of this topic you mentioned updating and posting your Illustrated History Of The NCR spreadsheet of coach diagrams on the NCR with references to the Hornby possibilities. Did you ever complete this? Just hoping!

Can you please confirm which T9s up to now are correct for the NCR out of the box ? 

Cheers

Brendan

If you look at the first post in this thread, under Chris’s name 2ManySpams, you will see he is no longer posting.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've also posted this link on the Railways of Cornwall group but it fits here as well. 

http://cornishmemory.com/item/MISC_260_03?fbclid=IwAR02OeRQYfSQ15vHLdetWYMy4cT1SrD6xjtcfjsDYXvEw_vLb9p0BHRKoN4#.XPGRRs2FDc0.facebook

An interesting bit of footage of the Padstow to Bodmin line. It starts slowly but has some interesting bits in it. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2020 at 15:50, darren chpamn said:

i know this thread hasn't had much gong on for a while however i have a  question i would like answering if possible

has anyone seen a picture with a n class with the ace headboard on it, one must of deputized in the years it ran ?

kind regards Darren 

Not in any of the photos I've ever seen. Worth remembering that not every Spam on the ACE carried an ACE headboard.

9 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Not in any of the photos I've ever seen. Worth remembering that not every Spam on the ACE carried an ACE headboard.

I don't recall any ACE headboards West of Exeter which probably means they were left on the MN or whatever that brought it down thus far!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2020 at 15:50, darren chpamn said:

i know this thread hasn't had much gong on for a while however i have a  question i would like answering if possible

has anyone seen a picture with a n class with the ace headboard on it, one must of deputized in the years it ran ?

kind regards Darren 

I wonder if a Beattie ever deputised for the final leg to Padstow :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, brianusa said:

I don't recall any ACE headboards West of Exeter which probably means they were left on the MN or whatever that brought it down thus far!

Brian.

Hi Brian, plenty of photos of Spams west of Exeter with ACE headboards. 

Have a look at the images in the lower half of this article:

http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/ace/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Brian, plenty of photos of Spams west of Exeter with ACE headboards. 

Have a look at the images in the lower half of this article:

http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/ace/

Thanks Chris, I obviously didn't get out enough before leaving the UK and I thought I was a Southern enthusiast!:blush:

Brian.