North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, darren chpamn said:

Did any  right handed slope side tendered n class work ncr between the late 50s early 60s  

Good question, my gut reaction is no as I know on Treneglos we spent a lot of time looking for the Bachmann right-handed Ns with straight-sided 3500gal tenders. The U1s that visited had the slope-sided. I'm away from my books but will look later.

47 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Good question, my gut reaction is no as I know on Treneglos we spent a lot of time looking for the Bachmann right-handed Ns with straight-sided 3500gal tenders. The U1s that visited had the slope-sided. I'm away from my books but will look later.

I've been looking through my books too Chris and I can not find one but as I know you have  a wealth  of knowledge  on ncr  so thought I ask   just in case you knew of one

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

Silly question is the first addition of the lrwell press book worth getting? Or should I get a copy of the second?

Marc

Silly question indeed! The revised version is substantially expanded, with major new contributions from 2ManySpams himself! An excellent publication. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On 08/02/2020 at 21:30, darren chpamn said:

What would you  say is the ratio of T9s ,WC/BBs  and  n classes that you would need to run a north Cornwall layout   

I have a ratio 1 t9 to 2wc/bb and 3 N class would you say  that looks correct 

Daz

On 09/02/2020 at 11:16, 2ManySpams said:

I'll have a look for you this evening. Gut reaction though is perhaps you're light on T9s.

I too would be interested in an accurate ratio of motive power. I have the details in 'The District Controller's View' for summer 1961, but;

1) how closely was that followed?

2) what about earlier years?

& 3) what about weekdays and winter timetables?

Any advice welcomed

John

If you are including Wadebridge-Padstow in BR times you would need BWT 30386 and a pair of GWR light prairies.  And at least 2 T-9's.

I once did the 1947 Padstow services based on a 1947 Summer Working Timetable (WTT)  and I used the BWT 386, 2 N's, 2 T-9's and only one WC making it to Padstow on the daily ACE and the same loco after turning and coaling .  Did the SR coal the WC's at Padstow or run them back to Wadebridge. I know they had to be turned at Padstow as the Wadebridge turntable was too short. But I never located a coaling facility at Padstow although there was a large post 1947 water tank built along with the longer turntable.  

My  Summer 1947 Southern Railway Padstow by the Pacific layout is now defunct and I am working on my HO Port Costa, California, early 1950's layout.  The prototype site is only 10 miles from my home. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, autocoach said:

If you are including Wadebridge-Padstow in BR times you would need BWT 30386 and a pair of GWR light prairies.  And at least 2 T-9's.

I once did the 1947 Padstow services based on a 1947 Summer Working Timetable (WTT)  and I used the BWT 386, 2 N's, 2 T-9's and only one WC making it to Padstow on the daily ACE and the same loco after turning and coaling .  Did the SR coal the WC's at Padstow or run them back to Wadebridge. I know they had to be turned at Padstow as the Wadebridge turntable was too short. But I never located a coaling facility at Padstow although there was a large post 1947 water tank built along with the longer turntable.  

My  Summer 1947 Southern Railway Padstow by the Pacific layout is now defunct and I am working on my HO Port Costa, California, early 1950's layout.  The prototype site is only 10 miles from my home. 

As far as I can remember there were no coaling facilities at Padstow.