N Gauge Now magazine

GreenDiesel

I just learned about this magazine -- N Gauge Now -- the other day. Before I order a copy (which will have to be posted overseas) I thought I'd check here to see what folks think of this magazine? It looks good, just checking before I buy one!

(I already posted this question in the 2mm section but it fits this category better... So far, folks are saying that it's a good magazine although it might not be that professionally produced due to its use of low-res images.)

Thanks,

Rob

Issue #1 contains 60 pages, in A4 format and is priced at £3.95. There's just over 20% of the pages devoted to adverts so a little under 40 pages or editorial/articles.

It contains exclusively N gauge content, of both British and overseas persuasions, and should appeal to most N gauge (and potentially 2mm) enthusiasts. There is a reasonable range of interesting articles and features making for a worthwhile and satisfactory read. However, they tend to be features about product ranges, history, etc., rather than encouraging modelling with step by step 'how to' undertake modelling type articles. Those in issue 1 include: a look at the old British Lima range; buildings - what's available; DRS operations; passenger trains in the US; the model shop in Chester; picture specials on German steamers; TINGS 2014; a look at Graham Farish and Union Mills range; and a lengthy layout feature on ‘Walcot Yard’.

If there is any criticism it’s about the quality of photographic reproduction: a number appear rather too darkly printed, and a few others are either out of focus or starting to become pixelated. Other than that it is decent enough start to what it is hoped will become a regular and beneficial commercial publication. Available from select model shops and by mail order. Issue 2 was due in February but hasn't turned up so far.

It's claimed to be quarterly so 4 issues a year. Alternatively, or additionally, there's the NGS Journal which is bi-monthly so 6 issues a year. See this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-3

HTH.
G.

Edited by grahame

Interesting....I had not  heard of  this  mag.

I read  'N-Scale' which is an American magazine  devoted  entirely to N gauge  & Nn3  its  not  bad,  but doesnt  hold  my  attention  for  too long  if  you  get  my  meaning!

Cerainly not what  i would  wait for  with  baited  breath  every  2 months ( its  Bi monthly)

I suppose  that  with N Gauge  being  quite a small sector of  the  Hobby producing a magazine is a risky business.

Interesting....I had not  heard of  this  mag.

I read  'N-Scale' which is an American magazine  devoted  entirely to N gauge  & Nn3  its  not  bad,  but doesnt  hold  my  attention  for  too long  if  you  get  my  meaning!

Cerainly not what  i would  wait for  with  baited  breath  every  2 months ( its  Bi monthly)

I suppose  that  with N Gauge  being  quite a small sector of  the  Hobby producing a magazine is a risky business.

I also picked up a copy of this magazine and liked it. It had a layout plan for a 2x6 layout which I'm basically using for my first N layout. Rob

Issue #1 contains 60 pages, in A4 format and is priced at £3.95. There's just over 20% of the pages devoted to adverts so a little under 40 pages or editorial/articles.

It contains exclusively N gauge content, of both British and overseas persuasions, and should appeal to most N gauge (and potentially 2mm) enthusiasts. There is a reasonable range of interesting articles and features making for a worthwhile and satisfactory read. However, they tend to be features about product ranges, history, etc., rather than encouraging modelling with step by step 'how to' undertake modelling type articles. Those in issue 1 include: a look at the old British Lima range; buildings - what's available; DRS operations; passenger trains in the US; the model shop in Chester; picture specials on German steamers; TINGS 2014; a look at Graham Farish and Union Mills range; and a lengthy layout feature on ‘Walcot Yard’.

If there is any criticism it’s about the quality of photographic reproduction: a number appear rather too darkly printed, and a few others are either out of focus or starting to become pixelated. Other than that it is decent enough start to what it is hoped will become a regular and beneficial commercial publication. Available from select model shops and by mail order. Issue 2 was due in February but hasn't turned up so far.

It's claimed to be quarterly so 4 issues a year. Alternatively, or additionally, there's the NGS Journal which is bi-monthly so 6 issues a year. See this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-3

HTH.

G.

Thanks for this description. It sounds good although I wish there were more "how-to" articles. I'll probably buy a copy. Rob

• 2 months later...

I obtained a copy of this magazine from the NGS stand at the Model Rail Scotland show in February. I have never clapped eyes on it anywhere else either before or since so i assume it's a subscription only mag. I agree with green diesel that the production was poor. The feel I got was that of 'Practical Model Railways' in its dying days. The article on 'Minitrix' was full of inaccuracies (Having rebuilt most of the Minitrix range out of all recognition over the last forty five years I know a thing or two about them!) and I found nothing of real intrest in the rest of the magazine. Frankly, I find the NGS Journal a far superior publication. Sorry if I'm a wet blanket here but I just wasn't taken by the magazine and I tend to avoid Subscription only publications like the plague..

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how often/when it gets updated as it looks exactly the same as it did a few weeks ago!

Yep, I did check the website first before posting, but, as you say, it doesn't appear to have been updated for quite a while. Certainly nothing obvious about the 'new' issue. I wonder if that's good or bad news.

G.

I've received an apology letter today - it seems that there's another delay in the production of N Gauge Now. This time issue 3 will be late. Instead of being due now (early June) it's been re-promised for the second half of July.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen a copy of this magazine, so have been reading what I can about it before committing to a purchase, as the cost to the US doubles the cover price. If I look at my cost to belong to the N Gauge Society as my subscription, my cost comes out to just over $6.00 US per issue. N Gauge Now would come out to $16. per issue, buying their 3 Issue Special.

I do wonder, is it a sustainable magazine, or will it wither and die in a short time? Is the UK N Gauge market large enough for both N Gauge Now and the N Gauge Society's Journal, not even allowing for N gauge material in the general mags.? And are there enough N Gauge authors, to sustain it, as well?

Yes, there are 2 US N scale only magazines, but I believe the market for N scale in the US is much larger than the UK's N Gauge market.

Just wondering.

Jim F

• 1 month later...

I've received an apology letter today - it seems that there's another delay in the production of N Gauge Now. This time issue 3 will be late. Instead of being due now (early June) it's been re-promised for the second half of July.

Has anyone seen issue #3 of this magazine? August is now here and it's not appeared despite being rescheduled for the second half of July.

Having paid for a one year subscription I'm starting to wonder . . .

G.

Has anyone seen issue #3 of this magazine? August is now here and it's not appeared despite being rescheduled for the second half of July.

Having paid for a one year subscription I'm starting to wonder . . .

G.

On their website, issue 3 was with the printers last week and should be posted out this week commencing 3rd. August.

Ken.

How's the quality of finish and content now they're getting going?

Hi,  paper quality is good although the photographs are variable, 54 pages with an apology for lateness of issue and the signal article is being held back until the next issue.  Hopefully now the relocation is out of the way it will improve.

Ken.

• 1 month later...

Anyone seen issue #4 - according to the editorial in issue #3 it was promised for publication before TINGS and the publication advert in that issue said it was scheduled for Sept 7th. I've not received my subscription copy and there's no update on their website.

G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,  Fortunately, I was able to get to the Wigan Exhibition last weekend and whilst there, met Howard and Robin, the team behind N Gauge Now.  Obviously my first question was 'where's my subscription issue no. 4?' which was going to be due in time for TINGS.  The latest issue is on it's way to the printers, unfortunately Robin has been seriously ill, with a long period of hospitalisation followed by an operation last week, and Howard has been trying to get the magazine sorted.  After speaking to them both I could tell that they were passionate about the magazine and came away thinking ' who in their right mind would want to start a publication for such a narrow window of railway modellers'.  So my hat off to the both of them and I wish them every success with the magazine, and also hope that Robin is able to return to as near to full health as possible. 

Regards, Ken.

( Welsh Camperman}  

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any new information or update on issue #4 of this magazine?

I appreciate the issues that they've faced (an office move and staff illness) but it's now nearly a month since the posting above, nearly two months since it was due (before TINGS) and nearly three months since any update on their website.

Although I received the directory (presumably as compensation for the delay) that wasn't what I paid for, and concern is now starting to set in.

Nonetheless my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Robin.

G.

HI,  Issue no.4 has just landed on the doormat.  Revised publishing dates in the apologies insert sees issue no.5 due in January 2016.  Having spoken to Howard and Robin at the Wigan Show I hope that all is now well and the future is bright for the magazine.

Regards, Ken.

• 3 months later...

Revised publishing dates in the apologies insert sees issue no.5 due in January 2016.

January 2016 has come and gone but no sign of issue #5. Nothing on the website so does anyone have any news?

G.

• 3 months later...