N Gauge Now magazine

GreenDiesel

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did they sort the photography issues? I really wanted to support it, but the quality was utterly dismal on so many photos for reasons I could never fathom.

8 hours ago, njee20 said:

Did they sort the photography issues? I really wanted to support it, but the quality was utterly dismal on so many photos for reasons I could never fathom.

I can't say that I've ever really had a problem with the photos. It's nice to have a magazine which is totally devoted to N Gauge.

• RMweb Premium

They were terrible. You could take better with a 10 year old smart phone! Even articles that were verbatim reprints (I recall one on Dragonby taken from Model Rail) had hugely pixelated photos. It made no sense. 

Real shame. 

On 02/06/2019 at 09:53, John M Upton said:

I've decided to take the plunge and ordered a copy of the latest issue.

It'd be nice if you could post up a review/report when you've received and read it.

TIA

G

I ordered back issues No1 to No4 and the 2014 Premier Issue to add to my collection for the bargain price of £8.95 inc postage and they arrived within a few days. All of them contain excellent articles about N Gauge.

20190604_082735.jpg

20190604_082620.jpg

21 hours ago, EWS FAN said:

I ordered back issues No1 to No4 and the 2014 Premier Issue to add to my collection for the bargain price of £8.95 inc postage and they arrived within a few days. All of them contain excellent articles about N Gauge.

I think it is fair to assume that in a magazine about N gauge it will contain articles about that subject. The issue for many is the quality, depth and type of articles as well as the standard of photographic reproduction and value for money it represents.

I did write a short review about the content of issue #1 (see the second post in this thread). My concern at that time was the lack of practical modelling articles and the poor quality of many of the illustrations. Therefore, what I'd like to see here now is a similar report/review about the latest issue to give a comparative indication of any progress or change in content and quality.

G

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to say my copy has arrived but work means I haven't really had time to look at it properly yet.  First impressions however are good with some nice well printed pictures on good quality paper.

Will try and pen some more detailed thoughts soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

N Gauge Now Issue 18 Summer 2019

56 pages including covers, full colour throughout, slightly larger than A4 size and very good quality paper.

£4.20 cover price, £5.40 with UK P&P if bought as a single issue. 

Contents and sample photos of various pages below.

Good range of well written articles covering a variety of subjects, reviews, even DJModels infamous and ultimately self destructive May 1st announcement gets a mention and is treated fairly.

The quality of the layout, review and article photos is good.

Two minor issues, some of the adverts were a bit pixelated (I suspect the same artwork for the smaller format NGS Journal has been submitted by some advertisers and then blown up to this publication's larger format) and I would like to have seen a card backed envelope for its journey through the Royal Mail. 

I am impressed to the point that I may well invest £20 for the next four issues.

20190609_164739.jpg

20190609_164756.jpg

20190609_164812.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do have more pictures but I can't seem to upload them in a separate post at the moment. 

Bear with me!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the blue I was sent a copy of the latest issue (#18). 

The 'news' section is quite interesting but the 'review' (of the Dapol class 142) is a little weak with little about the accuracy/compromise issues and performance (apart from it negotiating 9" curves).

By far the majority of articles are 'what's available' lists/collector history types (GWR 2-8-0, class 60s, PO wagons, heritage diesels, Ratio plastic kits, etc) illustrated with stock library catalogue style photographs. There are no constructive 'how-to' modelling articles although there is a report on the fiNetraX kit track. There is one layout article (a steam shed type) but the photos are poor (dark, out of focus, lacking DoF, and by far the majority being downward helicopter views) and one odd two page overseas round-up article that comes across as promotional of that genre.

However, 'N Gauge Now' does have potential. The paper quality is good, it's well written and it has a good feel. It just needs a little development, attention paid to photograph selection and a broadening of content - IMO.

G

• 1 year later...

I've recently been providing some content for 'N Gauge Now' to help out and hopefully to broaden the modelling content. The summer issue is apparently due out now (early June). 

Does anyone on RMweb subscribe or get copies. Howard Foy, the editor, seems upbeat about how things are going especially with sales. However, one thing I've noticed is that Robin Grubba used to be listed as Editorial Consultant and Technical editor and regularly provided a number of articles but he doesn't appear in it anymore and is currently the Trade Liaison Offer for the NGS and writing reviews for the NGS Journal.

• 2 years later...

Apparently the current/new issue of 'N Gauge Now' magazine (#36 Winter 2023) will be the last one. Their website says:

"This will be the FINAL issue of N GAUGE NOW - at least as a four-times-a-year publication, and consequently there will be NO subscriptions available for 2024. It is likely that a special N GAUGE NOW 2024 Annual will be published in good time for the International N Gauge Show (TINGS) next September."

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1