Laira P4

John. This is all looking very good indeed.

NSE cabin is good

50s looking very good. But the snowploughs on 50018 may be a bit too weathered. At first I thought "oh he hasn't got ploughs on 18". then I took a closer look and saw them.

37417 looks very much at home there.

Your wheel choock is unbeliavle. What an eye for detail you got!

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing more :D

Do you have a trackplan of your layout?

Hawkeye! yes indeed smile.gif . Im still faffing with it trying to do the snowploughs properly - the ones supplied are uselessdry.gif

:lol: I actually noticed the Javelin first :lol: anymore FGW stock and u could model today's Laira :lol: have u tried Heljan 47 ploughs? they're alot better than Bachmann's. I believe there are also some Brass ploughs available that ive seen advertised on here somewhere.

Laira's looking superb B) keep up the good work mate ;)

• RMweb Premium

Nice layout not to cramped but chock full of charcther good to see you at the open day.

Good Luck with everything

Did you mean full of CHOCK character? :rolleyes:

I think the little touches like that chock under the 08 are brilliant on layouts. Well done bud.

36E

Hi matey,

Yes a gr8 idea like the chock under the gronky seen loads of loco's with these wooden wheel stoppers on sheds so think everyone should have a go at these if they have a depot/tmd.

Cheers, Jon.

Hiya,

I'm lovin the detail on this layout, very impressive right down to the last detail mate.

erm.........just remind me now, as I seem to be missing something here.........

How exactly does a 'Chavlin' fit into your plans ? tongue.gif

Keep up the excellent, inspirational work..............

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Today I went to the Epsom show , and stocked up on some bits for the layout - its was a nice show , and I finally got to see Wheal Elizabeth in the flesh - Mr Ullypug kindly let my 37417 go for a trip on the layout - which made my day, as it was the first time the loco has run anywhere other than on my programming track - better still , no sooner had I put the loco on , a Silver bullet appeared out of nowhere for it to pose with cool.gif Many Thanks indeed! smile.gif

post-6893-127213561851_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

You're very welcome. Geof and I are now discussing who's going to buy the Bachmann one when it comes out. We were both rather taken with 37417. You've done a very nice job on it.

its the first time i have had a look at your thread, and i have a little soft spot for NSE type stuff you have quite a wide age between the stock you have on there ie CL 50 right up to 359 is that because you want to run what ya want or is it just test running stuff etc

oh i love the portacabin

keep up the great wor i will watch with interest

kye

Hello everyone - thankyou all for taking the time to read, and reply :

Redkiterail - nice to meet you at the open day - It was very usefull and thanks to you and your colleage on the layout , I've now got DecoderPro - and very usefull it is too!

Vac_Basher Your right - I need to do the ploughs on Resolution again - they were never quite that filthy! I should be able to rub off some of the OTT weathering on them.

Next time i'm in the loft i should be able to stand on a chair photo the whole layout from above so you can see the track plan.(the layout actually sits on the floor - i find it easier to work on)

magic_monkey09, I have got some Heljan ploughs in my spares - but the centre plough is an integral part of them - Most photos of that particular 57 show it with just the two outer ploughs - Pete Harveys etched allow for this thoughcool.gif

You're very welcome. Geof and I are now discussing who's going to buy the Bachmann one when it comes out. We were both rather taken with 37417. You've done a very nice job on it

Ullypug - why not each buy onesmile.gif Along with 417 Highland Region , I/C mainline 37420 'The Scottish Hosteller' also worked on clay - theres some nice footage on DVD somewhere of it working out from Moorswater and up the Coombe-Liskeard spiral. nice! 37416 'Mt Fuji' would be another option, though its livery was subtly different.

sapper_k : even im amazed just how much NSE stock ive got - considering the layout is set in Devon - but then thats just how the real place was - I like all the variations you get with NSE stock - the portacabin is my favorite 'bit' of the layout so far . The Javelin unit I bought just because i like it - Ive been on the real things several times and they're a brilliant ride - the full set in model form is equally impressive.

Modfather - I like that chart! - Though I have got a photo of Power Car at laira scotched with red blocks - naughty naughty!

I think I probably am rivet counter - as i was explaining to mr Shedmaster the other night that the chock in my photo of the 08 is actually wrong - the loco would be scotched the other way , to prevent it rolling onto the main line - all my chock is doing it stopping it rolling a few feet into the bufferstopsrolleyes.gif The shunter has now been sacked! gotta do it right , gotta do it right!

thanks for all the kind words

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, whatever comes to hand get used... I mean, what does the colour matter as long as you can fix things with it :lol:

as for chocking an 08... would they be chocked in the yard? Chatting with one of the SPM shunters only loose rolling stock, it our case Mk3's and Mk1's seem to get chocked (DOes it matter, it's your railwy and it makes you smile ;) )

watching with interest, this looks like a good project.

Can anyone explain why the wheel chocks are different colours for different stock ? Are they heavier or something for locos ?

Can anyone explain why the wheel chocks are different colours for different stock ? Are they heavier or something for locos ?

I'd be willing to bet it's about wheel diameter - the chocks probably have a different curve in them for larger or smaller wheels.

I'll go along with bloodnok. Memory suggests (new wheelsets) and 08 is 3'9", and a brush four is 3'4", A unit is 1xxxmm (no I can't find my spec sheet in my pile of rubbish).

The locos, tankers and units/hsts would have different flange/tyre profiles too...but thats totally irrelevant :lol:

Anyway, back to some quality modelling please!

Hi - This week ive been doing the job that i was dreading - installing the operating units for the points.

Ive used Exactoscale Tortoise Adaptor plates - with of course, Tortoise motors.

Ive spent lots of time working carefully and measuring everything carefully and following the instructions for the exactoscale plates , and its payed off - both points work perfectly first time: Horay.

The Exactoscale parts include a mounti.g for the Tortoise motor , and a slide bar - this is drilled and fitted with two lenths of brass tube - in turn a pair of nickel silver wires soldered to the point blades locate in the tubes, allowing a pivoting movement between the two parts.

Now everything is fitted , I can clean up my work and put some thin card around the holes in the basebords , as they didnt need to be quite so big smile.gif

post-6893-127332952181.jpg

post-6893-127332959748_thumb.jpg

now the work on the points is done , they can be finally glued down , and the brass pin through the sleeper removed - this was just to allow me to remove and replace them in the same position accurately.

This is the installation before I started wiring - the point motors are fitted with 'Hare' decoders that simply plug into the motor - As i only have two sets of points , these save lots of wiring and allow the points to be operated from my DCC throttle. Also visible is a hole and mounting pad/surround for future fitting of uncoupling electromagnets.

post-6893-127332993832_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

As promised for Vac Basher , this view shows the overall track plan - its dead simple, only 2 sets of points - 'course , having less points means more space for class 50ssmile.gif

post-6893-127333384052.jpg

tfn

jon

post-6893-127333390132_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Evening All,

A bit embarrassing that its been 2 years + since i last updated my thread here :scratchhead:

Well I have been very busy at work , and rebuilding my car , but I have done some more bits and bobs to the layout , and will be showing it as a work in progress at Scaleforum in a months time - yikes! better get a wriggle on! Do come and say hello.

post-6893-0-24979600-1346185701.jpg

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

will be showing it as a work in progress at Scaleforum in a months time - yikes! better get a wriggle on! Do come and say hello.

Hi Jon - Re6/6 and I will be there helping The Gentleman with the Illustrated Stomach (aka Brian Harrap on Quai 87 with his 'backscene cummerbund'.. :jester: ), so I'll definitely say hello. Looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh.

Evening - I think this month is going to go quick!

For the last few days I've been making merry with the ballast , and polystyrene . I've been preparing fence posts to go around the viewing platform - the Ratio ones are just the right height and have pointy tops like the real thing , I need to source some square mesh for this area/ Beyond the viewing platform i've started on an old bufferstop and raised section of track - with old track panels piled up further along the line - where nature is closing in!

post-6893-0-90453400-1346696098.jpg

post-6893-0-65561200-1346696140.jpg

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - although ill be showing my layout as a 'work in progress' I want it to be nice and presentable - this weekend I got the two boards ill be exhbiting set up on legs for the first time, and test fitted the curtain (ill be attaching it finally with heavy duty press studs) and then my camera battery went - so I'm afraid it's a phone piccy:

post-6893-0-10512200-1347824540.jpg

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the layout at scalefour today, but even better to see some of your collection of 50's. Sorry I didn't introduce myself I get rather shy. I was the bald chap whilst Guy was there. Anyway some truly superb modelling and I dip my hat to you and your achievements.

Just wondered why 32 was the only loco with full radiator. Is it a hard job or is it on the to do list. Either way all those vacs were awesome and have truly inspired me to get on with my own projects.

Thanks

Mark

It was great to see P4 Laira in the flesh again today (after DEMFest a couple of years back)! It was definitely one of the highlights of Scaleforum for me. Your work is of such consistently high quality it is really breathtaking!

Mark, was great to talk to you again. It feels like it has been ages since we last talked at ExpoEM! I'm sorry I didn't chat for longer and very glad that you found inspiration in Jon's work - I certainly did! I don't want to hijack Jon's thread, but I'd love to see some pictures of your Class 50 bogie project. Have you got a thread going on it?

Guy

Archived