Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

Well done to the 2 Chris's, and what a great choice of locomotive.

Best wishes to both of you and every sucess to Minerva Models.

Knowing your pedigree, how about an 08 and correct Terrier next?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Fantastic. Absolutely perfect for me, thanks gents!

The only thing I can complain about at this point is that I can only afford to pre order one, given the projected delivery date... which isn't exactly Minerva's fault, especially given the very reasonable price. 

Guest 40-something

Marvellous news to see another rtr 7mm supplier!

Can I wish for an industrial or small BR shunter?

Good news for many and I wish the fellows well with their new venture - nice looking loco.

Hope this wont affect Ixion?

Still, waiting, as a modeller of the so called 'modern image', for some smaller locos of the Ixion, Manerva ethos to appear (love the esoteric names BTW) from someone, anyone - up to BoBo size?

Kindest regards,

CME.

Good news for many and I wish the fellows well with their new venture - nice looking loco.

Hope this wont affect Ixion?

Still, waiting, as a modeller of the so called 'modern image', for some smaller locos of the Ixion, Manerva ethos to appear (love the esoteric names BTW) from someone, anyone - up to BoBo size?

Kindest regards,

CME.

If it's any help,I know where a Peckett just like this one can often be seen steaming into a Network rail station...

If it's any help,I know where a Peckett just like this one can often be seen steaming into a Network rail station...

Hi RJS, :)

Thanks, but as we are modelling ex MSWJR under WR custodianship circa 1965-1976 doesnt help us/me any. :no:

If money was no object then I would splash the cash on this and other Ixion locos, yet I have to stay true to our/my aims/layout needs and it is such a shame that Dapol peed on the lamppost that is a 7mm scale 08  :mosking: marked its territory with the 08 et al. I would have much, much rather seen Ixion or Minerva doing something along those lines (eg BR diesel shunters, Rustons or an BR 02 et al).

Cant understand the en-masse continued fascination with kettles either LOL :mosking: (caveat, I like kettles too, but given that the interest in 7mm is now falling to the custodianship of my age group and we are late 40s and early 50's our nostalgia is for loco hauled trains using diesels and electrics).

It would be interesting to know, from the two Chris', why they chose the direct marketing strategy instead of using the normal model shop network? The direct marketing strategy has its strengths in terms of margins etc etc., yet I feel it has hampered the likes of Lionheart when endeavouring to compete with the likes of Dapol (who market using the duplication principle ie via numerous model shops and other outlets). IOWs, Dapol has, to date, churned out substandard 7mm models (in terms of accuracy) and Lionheart has produced superb 7mm scale models (ie  their wagons are competitively priced - even if their locos are in the top price bracket), yet Lionheart must have lost sales on eg their POW's, to an inferior, but more widely distributed, product such as Dapol's (I now see that Lionheart have limited distribution through Tower Models) - akin to Betamax vs VHS (sort of).

ATVB

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Aaaand in with the wishlisting already. Seems a little unfair when the existence of the company has been public knowledge for less than a day! Especially when it's all been done to death on the "what would you like from Ixion" thread in the 7mm section.

I know I'm biased, since this does meet my requirements rather nicely indeed, but I imagine Minerva will be running a "one engine in steam" policy as Ixion does and should they want suggestions in the future they will ask for them, but that won't be for a little while yet. While I'm sure this choice does reflect the interests of the owners one suspects that they've probably paid attention to the market research and noted that three people asking loudly and repetitively for the same engine does not necessarily make it more viable than a larger number of people going "yeah, I'd probably buy one of them", and as such have gone for a bit of a "jack of all trades". 

I'm suprised that no-one has asked if they can do it in N gauge yet though...  :P

• Like 2

Had a word and met chris today. I am def ordering one , £235 if ordered before telford 255 after, due around november?. 3 options,

Great to meet chris klein, lovely chap. Other chris mentioned Ixion was concentrating on Australian ho locos .

I wish them all the very best in this new venture.

If ive got anything wrong please correct me.

Enjoyed the show and spent less than £200 lol :)

Apologies as also just seen they have order form and price on their website and top of page here, whoops! :)

Edited by Derbys65

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifMinerva logo.png

MINERVA MODEL RAILWAYS – A NEW 0 GAUGE MANUFACTURER IS LAUNCHED AND ANNOUNCES FIRST LOCOMOTIVE

Technical Specification

·         An injection-moulded, painted, ready-to-run body with full rivet detail

I wish them well.  Initial signs are good.  Over 6 hours on here and no-one's challenged the number of rivets!  :jester:

• Like 1

Great news and a lovely prototype.

Can anyone recommend a resource for finding a little more about the prototype locomotives and where they were based/worked? 

ST - I thought I had a full Peckett Works List somewhere but I can't find it at present.  Meanwhile there are some good Peckett photos here:

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/locos.htm

This shows a selection E class locos from 1903.  Peckett updated the design to E1 in 1950 - there is a photo of 2108 the first E1 here too.

Looks like Ebbw Vale, both collieries and steelworks, were E users.

The recent IRS book of Peckett Works Photos by Andrew Smith depict official snaps of 1465 of 1917 (one of a pair supplied to Woolwich Arsenal), also 2108 of 1950.

If anyone knows any more about numbers of E class, and owners, I too would be very interested.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Very very happy about this - had a lovely chat with Mr Klein on the stand today at Kettering - order duly placed for a green 'un! Have to say a very nice touch with the option of the different safety valves etc.