Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

A very quick summary:

Total of around 53, built between 1903 and 1940.  In no particular order the customers were:

First 8 to Ebbw Vale (ironworks, collieries) S. Wales 1903/4

8 in two batches (early and late) to Royal Arsenal, Woolwich

2 Llanelly Harbour Co

1 Swansea Harbour Trust

3 Powlesland & Mason, Swansea

6 over the years to Ebbw Vale

1 Palmers Shipyard, Jarrow

1 Vickers Shipyard, Barrow

2 Baldwins Steelworks

2 James Dunlop, Glasgow

17 / 19 others ordnance, collieries, mining, unknown industry

Accuracy +/- 2, (I rushed it a bit, but gives you an idea of spread).

Edited by Osgood

Thanks for all of the compliments, good wishes and orders. We were well received at Kettering today and it always great to meet happy owners and potential owners. As far as Ixion is concerned, I remain a shareholder and its finance director. However, my two Australian partners are very keen to serve their home market in New South Wales and feel it is their turn to have some fun. As you will be aware, Ixion is working on a New South Wales Government Railways 32 Class 4-6-0, which should reach market later this year. Ixion will then follow up with some other Australian prototypes in H0 for the time being.

We will keep you posted on developments with the Peckett. It is being designed and built in the same factory as the Ixion models using the same motors, transmission and materials for chassis, superstructure and other parts. There will be ample space inside the superstructure for a DCC decoder and speaker and we are discussing a sound project with an acknowledged expert in the field with an excellent track record. Tool-cutting will commence next week. Obviously, we at Minerva are thinking about the next project too. Finally, never forget the sage words of Oscar Wilde who saidthat  he could resist everything except temptation.

Regards,

Chris and Chris. Or should that be Chris2?

• Like 9

Thanks for filling in the gaps Chris- good to know that Ixion is continuing as before, and this is an amicably separate arrangement to satisfy the UK market while still building on the excellent work Ixion has done in this field- sounds an ideal situation for us  punters modelling British 7mm.

Glad the news went down well at Kettering as well as on here!

Interesting that there may be a suitable sound project in the offing too :)

Edited by brianthesnail96

A very quick summary:

Total of around 53, built between 1903 and 1940.  In no particular order the customers were:

First 8 to Ebbw Vale (ironworks, collieries) S. Wales 1903/4

8 in two batches (early and late) to Royal Arsenal, Woolwich

2 Llanelly Harbour Co

1 Swansea Harbour Trust

3 Powlesland & Mason, Swansea

6 over the years to Ebbw Vale

1 Vickers Shipyard, Barrow

2 Baldwins Steelworks

2 James Dunlop, Glasgow

17 / 19 others ordnance, collieries, mining, unknown industry

Dunno about the others, but P&M x 4 and SHT x 3 is the accurate figure.

Dave

Dunno about the others, but P&M x 4 and SHT x 3 is the accurate figure.

Dave

I've just just had a chance to recheck the works list, Dave. Just to confirm, I summarised the E Class locos only and indicated their new owner.

According to Jux's works list -

Only 1 x E Class was supplied new to SHT - SHT No. 18 (1522/1918).

Peckett had earlier supplied 3 x new locos of X2 Class - SHT 15/16/17.

Might SHT have obtained further secondhand E Class?

P&M received 2 x new E Class locos - 1179/1912 P&M No 12, and 1328/1913 P&M No 3 (should this be 13?).

Again did they obtain further s/hand locos?

Where do your numbers come from?  I've checked once in a rush and just now carefully, twice, but that is no guarantee I have not misread the list!!

NRM may have a works list too as they hold a large archive of Peckett material - perhaps someone might like to check this out?

Tony

E&OE  :scratchhead:

Edited by Osgood

Aaaand in with the wishlisting already. Seems a little unfair when the existence of the company has been public knowledge for less than a day! Especially when it's all been done to death on the "what would you like from Ixion" thread in the 7mm section.

I know I'm biased, since this does meet my requirements rather nicely indeed, but I imagine Minerva will be running a "one engine in steam" policy as Ixion does and should they want suggestions in the future they will ask for them, but that won't be for a little while yet. While I'm sure this choice does reflect the interests of the owners one suspects that they've probably paid attention to the market research and noted that three people asking loudly and repetitively for the same engine does not necessarily make it more viable than a larger number of people going "yeah, I'd probably buy one of them", and as such have gone for a bit of a "jack of all trades". 

I'm suprised that no-one has asked if they can do it in N gauge yet though...  :P

Wouldn't mind one (or even 2!) in 00,but I suspect they'd be out of my price range anyway!

The Peckett 0-4-0ST is an excellent choice.

It won't tempt me out of 00 just yet, but I wish Minerva well. It looks very nice. Releasing CADs showing alternative tooling is a very nice touch. I think it will please a lot of people.

I'm still hanging out for the Peckett in 00.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

Great news from Kettering the happy coupling of Chris Ixion & Chris Minerva were pleased to announce the expected delivery of their NEW spawn Peckett E in December 2015.

Good to talk to you today at Kettering Chris K and my wife now knows what I want for Crimbo.

Pleased to see that a sound project is happening too

Order in the post tomorrow, just deciding which colour match to have.

Now we have had the Fowler & the Peckett I'll be asking the engine angels for the dream team to appear that'll be an 08 & a Jinty as the next logical diesel/steam paring. ;)

Edited by Barnaby

A very quick summary:

Thanks that is really useful - although, after convincing myself there was no North East based prototype, this particular example might not be useful for my wallet......

Hi RJS, :)

It would be interesting to know, from the two Chris', why they chose the direct marketing strategy instead of using the normal model shop network? The direct marketing strategy has its strengths in terms of margins etc etc., yet I feel it has hampered the likes of Lionheart when endeavouring to compete with the likes of Dapol (who market using the duplication principle ie via numerous model shops and other outlets). IOWs, Dapol has, to date, churned out substandard 7mm models (in terms of accuracy) and Lionheart has produced superb 7mm scale models (ie  their wagons are competitively priced - even if their locos are in the top price bracket), yet Lionheart must have lost sales on eg their POW's, to an inferior, but more widely distributed, product such as Dapol's (I now see that Lionheart have limited distribution through Tower Models) - akin to Betamax vs VHS (sort of).

ATVB

CME :)

I would have thought it makes perfect sense to market directly.

This is a very small world, and Ixion (Minerva) have stamped their mark very successfully all over the market, and have established a very strong customer base and reputation. I would have thought that retailers are probably as much of a weak link to their efforts as a help, and that by taking control of the whole process, they are probably best able to maximise customer service as well as profits/low cost.

Certainly we all know where to buy the stuff from!!! I suspect they've thought it through and probably got it right......

I've just just had a chance to recheck the works list, Dave. Just to confirm, I summarised the E Class locos only and indicated their new owner.

According to Jux's works list -

Only 1 x E Class was supplied new to SHT - SHT No. 18 (1522/1918).

Peckett had earlier supplied 3 x new locos of X2 Class - SHT 15/16/17.

Might SHT have obtained further secondhand E Class?

P&M received 2 x new E Class locos - 1179/1912 P&M No 12, and 1328/1913 P&M No 3 (should this be 13?).

Again did they obtain further s/hand locos?

Where do your numbers come from?  I've checked once in a rush and just now carefully, twice, but that is no guarantee I have not misread the list!!

NRM may have a works list too as they hold a large archive of Peckett material - perhaps someone might like to check this out?

Tony

E&OE  :scratchhead:

Tony

I don't want to turn this into an argument.

SHT had delivered as new works nos. 1053, 1105 and 1522 in 1906/8/15 as SHT nos. 11,12 & 18.

P & M had delivered as new works nos 1054, 1179, 1328 and 1449 in 1907/12/13/16 as P & M nos. 11,12, 3 and 4.

Sources are various - but among them Railway Bylines July 2004, GWR.ORG.UK, Wiki etc. which I will admit are not primary sources but are consistent with other respected authorities - e.g. RCTS Locomotives of the GWR part 10. P & M never had a loco no.13.

Cheers

Dave

For there to be any argument we'd have to disagree, Dave!

I did point out that I may have made some errors (I've only tried to provide a broad idea of E class population from the info I have to hand).  I have no idea if the reference material is accurate or not.  And I did make it clear my figures may be up to 2 out as a result of rushing the research this evening (due to supper getting cold and me getting into hot water…..).

For example - from the info you have just provided, I've checked again against Jux's list and now find that:

1.     I managed to miss 1449 / 1916 (P&M No 4) which is in the works list.  That resolves any discrepancy on the P&M front!

2.     1053 is listed in Jux's work as "R. No 4" supplied to C. Rowlands, Swansea,  1105 is listed as "R No 12" supplied to C. Rowland.  Was this perhaps to a Mr. C. Rowlands of the SHT, or to a company by that name which may have been taken over by SHT?

Tony

E&OE!

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 1

Christopher Rowland took over the contract for shunting Swansea Docks in 1891.  The contract was terminated in May 1905 and the dock shunting then taken over by the Swansea Harbour Trust.  Apparently Rowlands still operated after 1905, carrying out shunting on behalf of the LNWR and Midland Railways until his death in 1910 when several of his locomotives were purchased by the S.H.T.

All Rowland's locos carried brass plates "R No._" on the tank sides

From the Peckett works list (not the published version) :-

P 1053 ex works 18.6.1906 to C.Rowlands  with plates "R No.11"

P 1105 ex works 4.5.1908 to C.Rowlands  with plates "R No.12"

Both above locos would have passed to the S.H.T. on Rowland's death in 1910.

Thanks that is really useful - although, after convincing myself there was no North East based prototype, this particular example might not be useful for my wallet......

What about:

8254490394_537c040d62_z.jpg

Picture courtesy of Cholsey & Wallingford Railway.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 1

Thank you for clarifying the SHT / Rowlands query, PGH!  I have to admit I misread 1053's name - Jux has it as "R No. 11" as your source, not 4 as I had indicated.  Doh….

NORTHERN GAS BOARD No 1 is listed as a Class W7 Special No 2142 (special being lowered cab), built 1953.

Class E standard spec was 15 x 21 cylinders, 3'7 wheels - W7 had 14 x 22 cylinders, 3'2 1/2 wheels.

Oh, how very disappointing. Why oh why a Peckett E Mr Klein? I've already got one! Now I suppose every time Dock Green goes to a show I will have to say "No, it's a not a Minerva Peckett - it's brass!" to numerous herberts.

Just to show that I do like RTR too here is the Agenoria Peckett with an Ixion Hudswell Clarke on Dock Green.

P1030898-2700x518_zpsa3874069.jpg

Now about the 08.....

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5

There's a photo I've always wanted to model of a 'Peckett 0-4-0ST' (as per caption) in the Middleton Press book 'Swansea to Carmarthen'. It is 'street running' down Railway Terrace in Llanelli in 1961, the line being what looks like 10 feet or so from the houses' front doors! Not having space for an O gauge layout, a working shelf diorama with one of these running up & down is suddenly becoming very appealling! I have no idea if its the same type of Peckett as this new model, but it certainly looks close enough for government work! Roll on Christmas...!!

Keith

• Like 1

No, it's neither of those, but they're really useful, many thanks for the links! The one in the book is a 3/4 front view of the loco running past a row of terrace houses - it may be perspective, but it only looks like a pavement & a couple of feet of 'tarmac' between the houses & the loco - with the houses' front doors opening directly onto the pavement - unlike the 'posher' ones with their front gardens & fences in the second pic you linked!

Thanks again for the links!

Keith