Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

This is one to put on the wish list, it's good to see another well priced RTR small O gauge loco for those of us who have still to master the craft of brass kit-making. All the best with the venture and I look forward to seeing it progress.

I think the main issue with curves is likely to be buffer locking, assuming the usual 3 link couplings are used. I would suggest that anyone planning to go down to very tight radius curves would do well to do a bit of experimenting, as the ability of the engine to get around the curves is probably the least of it. 

Look at the buffers in Post 76. On the model they will be circa 14-15mm diameter.

• Like 1

Chris, I realise that you may not be able to comment at this stage, but could I put in a plea for 'stay-alive' to be an option together with the sound package, when that is able to be organised? It doen't have to be the full half-hour capacity that the Fowler has as provided by EDM, but anything is going to make a lot of difference.....

(Black, please.....!)

All the best,

Giles

Chris, I realise that you may not be able to comment at this stage, but could I put in a plea for 'stay-alive' to be an option together with the sound package, when that is able to be organised? It doen't have to be the full half-hour capacity that the Fowler has as provided by EDM, but anything is going to make a lot of difference.....

(Black, please.....!)

All the best,

Giles

Giles,

We are talking to someone about DCC and expect it to include "stay-alive". This seems essential for 0-4-0 locos until we have a decent wireless system that frees us from tribulations of current collection via the track.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

I'm suitably inspired. So much so that I created a segment of 3 foot radius double-check-railed S7 track this evening to test my re-wheel-rimmed Fowler chassis upon. I'm sold on the ability to maintain S7 standards (with small locos), have realistic and functional check-rails, and have "prototypically" absurd curvature - with careful fettling and testing, of course. The Peckett will be a brilliant companion to my little blue beastie.

• Like 2

Chris,

I didn't get chance to pop over on Saturday as was kept busy for most of the day operating. Good luck with the new venture!

Can you confirm if there is enough room to fit the Lincs couplers behind the front and rear buffer beams, either a pivot or fixed hook?

Thanks,

Alan.

Edited by alant

Right Chris & Chris As you have made me start a whole new project off the back of your recent announcement I'd be most grateful if you could follow the Peckett with a pannier of some description

Many thanks

Steve

Swansea East Dock !!!!

Christopher Rowland took over the contract for shunting Swansea Docks in 1891.  The contract was terminated in May 1905 and the dock shunting then taken over by the Swansea Harbour Trust.  Apparently Rowlands still operated after 1905, carrying out shunting on behalf of the LNWR and Midland Railways until his death in 1910 when several of his locomotives were purchased by the S.H.T.

All Rowland's locos carried brass plates "R No._" on the tank sides

…….Both above locos would have passed to the S.H.T. on Rowland's death in 1910.

Further to this information, for the benefit of anyone else apart from me who has not read this book, I've just discovered that Powlesland & Mason too were shunting contractors at Swansea Docks.  I had just assumed they operated a rail-connected business in the docks.

More than just coincidence that both SHT, Rowlands and P&M chose the same class of locomotive?

Is there a good book on Swansea Docks similar to the Nevill's Dock book?

Edited by Osgood

Alan,

In response to your question about Lincs couplings, I have attached a 3D CAD view of the underside of the Peckett. There is definitely room for a fixed and quite possibly pivoted hook. I also intend to use Lincs couplings, but have yet to make and fit any. I hope this answers your question.

regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-81348900-1426021363_thumb.jpg

Is there a good book on Swansea Docks similar to the Nevill's Dock book?

Tony,

That book remains to be written but there have been a number of useful magazine articles in recent years:

Railway Bylines July 2004

GWR Journal 42 - Spring 2002

Steam Days Sept 2013

I have been planning a SHT-based model for some time and have been accumulating lots of photos and maps etc. The photo that Chris K included in post 76 was one that I sent him after chatting at Kettering. Here's the same train a few minutes earlier:

post-5366-0-35208300-1426059229_thumb.jpg

I have scanned ecopies of the mag articles if you need them.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

Thanks Dave - much appreciated.  I'm trying to learn more about the Welsh dock railway systems.

I found the same photo that you gave to Chris, and which he posted in 76, by following your link to this which you posted in 52 - there are some more great images of S. Wales industrial in that collection too, well worth a look!

Oh look - yet another candidate for Minerva's attentions   :yes: , and in similar style to the SHT images, just a bit further inland:

(Photo by Andy Kirkham - I hope repro here for educational purposes is ok.  See http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/radyrtocaeharris.htmfor more info.)

attachicon.gifDragging Coupling.jpg

What a great photo. I love the post office.

Oh look - yet another candidate for Minerva's attentions   :yes: , and in similar style to the SHT images, just a bit further inland:

(Photo by Andy Kirkham - I hope repro here for educational purposes is ok.  See http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/radyrtocaeharris.htmfor more info.)

attachicon.gifDragging Coupling.jpg

What a great fiddle yard exit that is!

K

Inspired by that photo, I designed a little EM layout with two fiddle yard exits based on it last night. Can't have too much of a good thing! I'd love to do it in 7mm with a Minerva Peckett, but that will have to be for another time. I'd just like something I can knock up quite quickly to run some of my EM stock that's been languishing in boxes for years (or even decades!).

Inspired by that photo, I designed a little EM layout with two fiddle yard exits based on it last night. Can't have too much of a good thing! I'd love to do it in 7mm with a Minerva Peckett, but that will have to be for another time. I'd just like something I can knock up quite quickly to run some of my EM stock that's been languishing in boxes for years (or even decades!).

Similarly, I have a Heljan Class 14 & Hornby J94 lanquishing in boxes - a small micro based on that photo may well be a good idea to keep me going until the Peckett arrives on the market!

Weaver & Co Ltd was a large flour mill.

That they had one hell of a time demolishing! It was rather better built than they expected due to the early use of reinforced concrete construction. Had our council been more farsighted (laugh!) it would have made an excellent arts center (as in the Baltic in Newcastle) or somesuch, & would have saved them a deal of trouble knocking down!

Edited by keefr2

Chris, will the unlined black livery have any BR emblems?

No. We will leave the locos blank to allow owners to choose their own decoration. The unlined black Ixion Hudswell Clarke was popular with owners who wanted to customise their models.

Gods damn it Mr Martin, I used to be quite well off until I encountered EDM models...

I suppose if I let my good lady know now what to expect for Christmas she may have forgiven me by then!

Edit- I had hoped from Chris' hints that it would be another Paul & Paul effort :)

Edited by brianthesnail96