Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

Hello Everyone,

OK, now the news is out it's time for some (potential) user input, so get your thinking caps on. This is an opportunity to directly impact the sound project before I tie down all the corners.

The majority of the 29 F keys have already been allocated to sounds or operational functions within the Minerva Peckett sound project, but there are 2 or 3 as yet unallocated in my scheme.

I am therefore inviting (polite) suggestions for sounds you might wish to have included if you have one of these models sound fitted by EDM.

For example, since dock working has been mentioned, a likely ambient environmental sound would be gulls calling. (this is not one of the sounds already included).

Now, you might personally think these 'other' sounds are irrelevant or distracting, but they would be under manual control so their use would be optional.

I realise this could be opening a can of worms, so confine this strictly to offering positive suggestions for inclusion, please.

Kind regards,

Paul

Dave. Do you have any more photos like this you can share please? They are inspirational. If one visits the Swansea Docks website mentioned above, one can work out where these were taken from the photos and the maps. Weaver & Co Ltd was a large flour mill.

Like this? Fiddle yard exit behind the loco between the chandlers and shipping company offices!

post-5366-0-27043400-1426094232_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I knew you would be disappointed Chaz and we were chuckling yesterday about how your favourite engine ran on the Great Western and even carried those noble words. However,  the choice of prototype is critical and an outside cylinder 0-4-0ST  seems to have been received well. There are some truly inspiring photos of the ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Pecketts trundling around the dockyards and streets of Swansea in the 1950s and early 1960s.

We will advise the running numbers that will be included on the brass fret shortly.  

We won't be doing the 08 as I'm sure it will appear from another promised place in due course.

Regards,

I was pulling your leg, Sir! I wish you every success with the Peckett - it's a nice prototype and should sell very well.

But I must correct you - "Susan" never ran on the GWR. It was purchased new by Dock Green Estates Ltd, painted blue from the start and named after the MD's wife, a classy wench! The MD, when he was told that a similar loco was running with the dreaded "Go When Ready" lettering on it's tank decreed that the loco should never, ever be painted green. He chose S & D blue, a shade of which he was very fond.

Chaz

• Like 2

…..I am therefore inviting (polite) suggestions for sounds you might wish to have included if you have one of these models sound fitted by EDM…..

Your Fowler sound project is superb, Paul - but I have no experience of your steam work.  For F key sounds, what about open cylinder drain cocks?  I've not heard this before on a model but a vital part of steam operation.

Other than that, for SHT locos maybe the sound of a Mk1 Ford Cortina side being slowly graunched would be appropriate?   :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

It was purchased new by Dock Green Estates Ltd, painted blue from the start and named after the MD's wife, a classy wench!

Always a dangerous plan. Dibnah renamed his traction engine after his mother on the grounds that was never going to change

• Like 2

I might have to buy myself a retirement present, (now that I have an idea of how much my State Pension will be).

Will we be able to buy it online rather than using a pdf as I don't use printers?

You can order one (regular DC as well as DCC fitted and with sound) from http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

The order goes through to Minerva, but you can complete the order online.

I was pulling your leg, Sir! I wish you every success with the Peckett - it's a nice prototype and should sell very well.

But I must correct you - "Susan" never ran on the GWR. It was purchased new by Dock Green Estates Ltd, painted blue from the start and named after the MD's wife, a classy wench! The MD, when he was told that a similar loco was running with the dreaded "Go When Ready" lettering on it's tank decreed that the loco should never, ever be painted green. He chose S & D blue, a shade of which he was very fond.

Chaz

Chaz,

I'm surprised that Mr Klein hasn't suggested you needed a Peckett green liveried example to go with your S&D blue liveried one....

Maybe he's slipping?!!

Cheers,

Andrew

I might have to buy myself a retirement present, (now that I have an idea of how much my State Pension will be).

Will we be able to buy it online rather than using a pdf as I don't use printers?

Not yet, but you can place your order by telephone on 02920 531246.

Chaz,

I'm surprised that Mr Klein hasn't suggested you needed a Peckett green liveried example to go with your S&D blue liveried one....

Maybe he's slipping?!!

Cheers,

Andrew

I have just finished re-reading the chapter about the First Battle of Ypres in the autumn of 1914 in Max Hastings's brilliant book "Catastrophe". It's just a matter of time and attrition.

• Like 2

Always a dangerous plan. Dibnah renamed his traction engine after his mother on the grounds that was never going to change

Speak for yourself! Sue and I married in '70 so I think we might be quietly confident in our fidelity. I can't imagine having reason to change the nameplates on the Peckett, or indeed the Hudswell Clarke - which carries Sue's middle name "Christine".

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Hello Everyone,

OK, now the news is out it's time for some (potential) user input, so get your thinking caps on. This is an opportunity to directly impact the sound project before I tie down all the corners.

The majority of the 29 F keys have already been allocated to sounds or operational functions within the Minerva Peckett sound project, but there are 2 or 3 as yet unallocated in my scheme.

I am therefore inviting (polite) suggestions for sounds you might wish to have included if you have one of these models sound fitted by EDM.

For example, since dock working has been mentioned, a likely ambient environmental sound would be gulls calling. (this is not one of the sounds already included).

Now, you might personally think these 'other' sounds are irrelevant or distracting, but they would be under manual control so their use would be optional.

I realise this could be opening a can of worms, so confine this strictly to offering positive suggestions for inclusion, please.

Kind regards,

Paul

I seem to remember many years ago an article in Railway Modeller suggesting that layouts might have a tape deck underneath so that when (as happens) an operator runs the loco up the wrong siding by mistake a voice could be heard to say "You great gooby!  Why didn't you change the points how I told you to?"

Not sure if that's the sort of  suggestion you're after but certainly possible on a sound chip!

There is a body kit available from shapeways for the W6 Peckett that goes onto a Hornby/Dapol Pug chassis.

Is it actually available though? Says this on their website;

"This product is in development. Buy in Beta to support this designer and share feedback."

Sounds like a type of those crowd funding things...

Chaz,

Maybe he's slipping?!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Nah......IF I bought a second Peckett it would have to be a maroon one. I always liked the MR colour.

Nah......IF I bought a second Peckett it would have to be a maroon one. I always liked the MR colour.

Would look good in Crimson Lake. Probably easier to re-spray one of the plain coloured ones. I'm sure you'd hate to make one less GW green loco in the world by repainting it.....

Cheers,

Andrew

Would look good in Crimson Lake. Probably easier to re-spray one of the plain coloured ones. I'm sure you'd hate to make one less GW green loco in the world by repainting it.....

Cheers,

Andrew

Just to show I am not entirely anti-   A colour I really like is the Indian Red that the GWR once used for its coaching stock - so much nicer than the later brown and cream. A superb colour (later used for the wheels of the A4s when they were blue) which I am going to use for the "varnish" on my On30 FVRR.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Just to show I am not entirely anti-   A colour I really like is the Indian Red that the GWR once used for its coaching stock - so much nicer than the later brown and cream. A superb colour (later used for the wheels of the A4s when they were blue) which I am going to use for the "varnish" on my On30 FVRR.

Chaz

My knowledge of the Western is limited, but I'm pretty certain that when the carriages were red pre-grouping, they were actually Crimson Lake, the Indian Red being used for bolections or drop lights in the chocolate and cream era.

I too like the Indian Red colour and have used it as the 'house colour' for my Melyn Light Railway, using it for the woodwork on buildings and will be used on carriages when I build some.

Cheers,

Andrew

Chris K and Chris B

Sorry, I've been a bit slow on posting on this thread and see it's already up to six pages!

Congratulations on your new venture. The new Minerva website is excellent - the section on "What's different about Minerva" sums it all up really!

As one of those who is a proud owners of all three Ixion industrials, I'm really looking forward to adding a Peckett. An inspired choice of prototype which offers all sorts of opportunities.

Wishing you every success for the future.

Stephen

Your Fowler sound project is superb, Paul - but I have no experience of your steam work.  For F key sounds, what about open cylinder drain cocks?  I've not heard this before on a model but a vital part of steam operation.

Other than that, for SHT locos maybe the sound of a Mk1 Ford Cortina side being slowly graunched would be appropriate?   :locomotive:

Paul did the sound installation on my Manning Wardle. The sound project is very good and Paul also installed 'stay alive' capability and a smoke generator!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89686-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/

Paul has since installed sound (and 'stay alive') in my Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

I'm sure opening cylinder drain cocks will be included as a manual option. On both locos, the cylinder drain cocks also open before moving off if the loco has been standing for a given time.

Not sure about the sound of a Mk 1 Cortina being scrunched, but Paul included a great birdsong sequence as a function on the MW. I'm sure seagulls would be equally effective!

Stephen