Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Stephen - It looks like Drain Cocks will be there - along with a number of other sounds - I have copied this list from the EDM website here

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

•Superior Smooth Speed Control

•Light & Heavy load Sound Profiles

•Substantial Keep Alive Capability

•Long Whistle

•Toot toot whistle

•Acknowledgement `pop' whistle

•Cylinder draincocks

•Injector

•Blower

•Hand Brake

•Steam Brake

•Vacuum Ejector Option

•Brake Squeal

•Coupler clank

•Buffering Up

•Coupling

•Flange Squeal and Wagon Sounds

•Plus some new features in development

My knowledge of the Western is limited, but I'm pretty certain that when the carriages were red pre-grouping, they were actually Crimson Lake, the Indian Red being used for bolections or drop lights in the chocolate and cream era...

The 1912 coach livery was indeed crimson lake, and some modellers like to use indian red for drop lights on the post-1922 or pre-1908 chocolate and cream liveries. However, drop lights were actually polished mahogany in both cases. Some sources have claimed venetian red drop lights and bolections for pre-1908 liveries, but the evidence is slim. Indian red was used on engine frames, splashers, etc. before 1906.

Nick

Why would it have a vacuum ejector option?

Paul,

Some free-lancers may choose to fit vacuum equipment to their locomotives. Quite often owners of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke have fitted vacuum or airbrakes to their locos to make them suitable for passenger service.

Chris

The 1912 coach livery was indeed crimson lake, and some modellers like to use indian red for drop lights on the post-1922 or pre-1908 chocolate and cream liveries. However, drop lights were actually polished mahogany in both cases. Some sources have claimed venetian red drop lights and bolections for pre-1908 liveries, but the evidence is slim. Indian red was used on engine frames, splashers, etc. before 1906.

Nick

As you might guess my knowledge of the GW is no more comprehensive than my knowledge of string theory - I just like the colour. Having seen it applied to some of DLT's narrow gauge stock made my mind up (and it certainly looked good on the wheels of Mr Gresley's superb magnum opus).

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Why would it have a vacuum ejector option?

Because its a fair bet that which ever engine we go and record will be earning its keep on a preserved railway and hauling passenger trains so will have an ejector for the brakes. If its there - record it.

Not everyone buying a Peckett is going to model Swansea Docks!

I suppose some sea gulls and a ships hooter wouldn't go amiss scene as I am modelling Swansea East dock loco shed

Steve,

Ships Hooter? Nice one, I hadn't thought of that. (I wonder if any have been fitted to Pecketts in preservation? Lol)

But it has prompted me to think of a distant Fog Horn

Maybe there will need to be a dockland sound project and one for the sleepy countryside, and one in a purely industrial setting...........

BTW, if anyone here is going to the East Anglian show over this weekend, 14th and 15th, pop over to my sound demo stand for a chat.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Stephen - It looks like Drain Cocks will be there - along with a number of other sounds - I have copied this list from the EDM website here

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

Mike

I hope Paul is able to include 'sleeper creak' in the sound project. He put it on my Manning Wardle and it is very effective as the loco creeps over the track. Very authentic!

Stephen

How many would need to BEG a maroon/red one for you to paint a small batch, maybe even tie it up with a sound install while it is apart.  Unless it could be done at manufacture. 
I'm holding on for which colour black or plain green but my intention is to paint a private colour scheme of my choice however a maroon/red one would fit the bill beautifully.
So................ Please add me to any list of " I would like a maroon/red one" please. :angel: :locomotive:  As I'm not too sure how good a paint job I'd do. :nono:
 http://colors.findthedata.com/compare/693-704-736-942/Indian-Red-vs-Bright-Maroon-vs-Pastel-Red-vs-Maroon-HTML-CSS      I like the 800000 one most.
I also like the request for creaking sleepers by Warspite and I would add a call of "cup of char" at the end of a shunt shift. :sungum:

EDIT :  Not read every word about the release but will they be made available with sound/DCC already loaded and ready to roll? 

Edited by Barnaby

See EDM model's website for ready to roll sound installs ;)

I'm still can't decide if I want a lined green (I'm presuming this will be a similar scheme to the original release HC Chris?) one, or a black one to repaint. Hopefully it'll come apart in a similar manner to the HC & Fowler, which would make a repaint a relatively easy proposition.

• RMweb Gold

EDIT :  Not read every word about the release but will they be made available with sound/DCC already loaded and ready to roll? 

A frustrating statement to those posting information. Probably won't read this either but here goes........

See EDM model's website for ready to roll sound installs ;)

I'm still can't decide if I want a lined green (I'm presuming this will be a similar scheme to the original release HC Chris?) one, or a black one to repaint. Hopefully it'll come apart in a similar manner to the HC & Fowler, which would make a repaint a relatively easy proposition.

The lined green version will be the same shade of green as the first Ixion green Hudswell Clarke. Lining will be the same or similar; we've not finally decided.

Sadly Paul my memory retention ain't wot it was and by the time I've read this forum your web page, GOG, Western Thunder I end up with info overload but thank you for adding the answer to my question after my last post.

Anyway as a potential customer requesting information your truth telling has made me feel very loved -- not. :no:

I think I'll go out to the work shop and play trains for a bit. :locomotive:

Just rang Paul wrote down [lest I forget] the details required now off to compose my email back to him of which parts of the loco I want coloured and what colour. :sungum:

Edited by Barnaby

Thanks Chris- would be a nice touch for those wanting a matching fleet. I think it'll make for a very attractive livery on the Peckett, as indeed it does on the Hudswell.

However... decision made, noisy black one ordered, to be resprayed into something unsuitable :D

Always leaves the option of a pretty green one open for the future then... :whistle:

The lined green version will be the same shade of green as the first Ixion green Hudswell Clarke. Lining will be the same or similar; we've not finally decided.

So that will be GNR livery then - can't be bad!

Don't think that is a bus stop sign it looks too high relative to the ground but is an ok height for a passing loco to read.  Also most bus stop signs got added to an existing lamp post where available and I would have thought there was a convenient street light nearby on that road.

And if I remember correctly (going back 50 years or so, it's a fair bet I don't!), Bus Stop signs around here were a black bordered white regtangular shape, with BUS STOP in black capitals & on two lines. 

Edited by keefr2

Giles,

But presumably from a Peckett 0-4-0 rather than from the Hunslet 0-6-0 in the video?

A few hard working chuffs shouldn't be too difficult to manage. If we can't find a 1 in 14 gradient, pinning the brakes works almost as well. Ha ha.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul - well, when they're working this hard, I defy just about anyone to differentiate between this Hudswell Clarke and a Peckett!!

It must be hard to find sources of locos (this sort of size) regularly working at full chat.....!

All the best

Giles