Minerva Model Railways - a new O Gauge manufacturer is launched and announces Peckett E Class

Andy Y

That really is a little darling. I only regret that I already have one. But if I didn't.....

Does it run as good as it looks?

Chaz,

It has the same motor and gear train as the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and Fowler diesel.

So "yes" then presumably!

Chris, since it appears to be in your possession currently, could you be so kind as to measure the overall width across the cylinders for us please? It won't affect my order but it would be nice to know if I'll have to make an "adjustments" to make it fit through some of the smaller gaps on BT&S. They are rather large beasties by 0-4-0ST standards!

So "yes" then presumably!

Chris, since it appears to be in your possession currently, could you be so kind as to measure the overall width across the cylinders for us please? It won't affect my order but it would be nice to know if I'll have to make an "adjustments" to make it fit through some of the smaller gaps on BT&S. They are rather large beasties by 0-4-0ST standards!

39.75mm, but we have to ease them out to accommodate the revised thicker slide bars. Allow 0.5 to 0.75mm per side.

• RMweb Premium

My only O gauge loco is the Hudswell Clarke (for the moment) and I thought that was large. 'Half'-sister is a fitting description. Looking forward to seeing them in their final colours.

I don't know what the loading gauge is for the UK. I generally work on the assumption that there should not be any fixed structures within 42mm of the centre line of the tracks, or roughly 1" measured from the rail head. I know that clearances could be tight in industrial railways, but I never wanted a clearance to be too tight so as to prevent visiting locomotives and stock from running on my own layout! (which is still a pile of materials and a plan)

• RMweb Premium

The E class is quite large for an 0-4-0. Too big for my microlayout purposes, a Peckett M3 is on the list to build some day. I hope this sells well for Minerva.

Dava

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this sounds daft, but from your photos today where would the DCC decoder live?

Martin

Martin,

There is plenty of room to fit a decoder and speaker in the saddle-tank. There will be a PCB and socket (not included on this 1st EP) in the space, but the superstructure has plenty of internal space from the fly-wheel to the smoke box, which is in line with the front end of the cylinders. You won't need a large decoder as these locos are unlikely to draw much more than 350 milliamps at full load.

Regards,

Chris

Looks like a nice design consideration to keep the smokebox clear for the speaker and maybe even a smoke unit!

It all depends on the prototype. The Peckett E class is a surprisingly large beast whereas the Ixion Fowler diesel has no room under its rather small bonnet.

• RMweb Gold

I should perhaps remind folk at this point that EDM Models is the exclusive supplier of the Minerva Peckett E class with DCC & DCC with sound already installed.

We now have the sounds recorded and are awaiting one of the EP's after Guildex to finalise the installation.

The sound will be on a ZIMO MX645 decoder and will feature a significant keep alive installation and some features not previously available on ZIMO decoders.

Like Minerva I am doing an early bird discount on orders placed before the end of Guildex

post-2660-0-39278500-1436965914.jpg

Ordering on-line here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

• Like 2

Guest Isambarduk

"Typical of my luck, you spend ages building something and one comes along that's better and cheaper ..."

No need to tell me! I had a partly complete Hudswell Clarke when the Ixion offering came along ... and I already had an LMS 0-4-0DM Fowler ...

Fowler-Diesel_Mechanical.jpg

... when guess what?

Fortunately, I do not have a Peckett E class, part built or otherwise ... but I soon shall have :-)

David

The Minerva Peckett with her half-sister, the Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

Interesting comparison.  I got a circle of Peco Setrack and had the first test run with my Hudswell Clarke, great fun in the living room.  Mrs P. thought is was quite cute.  I also gave my Basset-Lowke 0-4-0 saddle tank a gallop.  Although Coarse Scale it too has a charm of its own, in a chunky sort of way.  I think a Peckett has crept onto the wish list...

p.s. is there a thread on the B-L tanks?

• Like 1