West Allen Street & Thawne - Extension #5 - Harrison Yard

DanielB

With the first day of Mansfield 2015 done, it's time to start my layout thread for West Allen Street - a HO scale micro-layout which is being taken to TVNAM 2015 later in the year.

This first post wont be too flashy; as with all new layout threads there's not all that much to show at this stage.

That said, I do have a track plan, and I do have some rolling stock to prepare and weather ready for the show - 2 locos, 9 freight cars, and a caboose.

First, I'll post up what we all start with - a plan!

HOswitchinglayout2_zps352bfc97.png

Most of the track is going to be set in hard standing, so I've got a lot of filler and plaster to get prepared! The idea is an inner city industrial yard served by the ATSF and seeing a large amount of random rolling stock. There's a couple of factories, as well as a team track, tank car unloading and a freight house - the theme for the layout could be described as "Making the most of limited space".

Track is peco - no idea on the code, I got a carrier bag of second hand track including points fitted with motors for about £18 - job's a good 'un!

Buildings will be card core with photographic brick papers stuck over the top.

Rolling stock consists of an Athearn CF7 and a Bachmann GP40, with a mix of Kadee, Atlas, Walthers and Athearn Bluebox freight cars.

Here's the collection so far:

(Strangely I couldn't get the CF7 to work on my layout! ;) )

20141122_204227_6_bestshot-1_zps7dd8587b

20150307_133518_zpsbwz9yoqs.jpg

All the freight cars barring a covered hopper and a gondola are fitted with Kadees - by the time the layout is ready for the exhibition that will of course have changed!

Finally, here's tonight's effort since returning from Mansfield - see the CF7 photo above for the "Before" shots - an ATSF box car:

20150307_211652_002-1_zpssxfy8iii.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 9

Well, the box car is finished. :)

I've only weathered one side of it, as on an end to end layout no one sees the other side! :P

Sorry about the lighting quality, it's dark here and the light in the bathroom isn't great.

20150307_233811_006-1_zps58wjrlul.jpg

20150307_233840_016-1_zpsla6logxp.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like a good plan.  I did something similar in 2007, cribbed the design from a Nick Pallette article.  Didn't get beyond the basic ground cover, but was fun to operate

Here is a Proto 1000 Alco Switcher.  A nice model in early Southern Paint.  You can see the sector plate under the Rix Bridge.

post-2484-0-73361600-1425805884_thumb.jpg

This is a DPM 'Cutting Scissors' that has been slimmed down.

post-2484-0-97261200-1425805921_thumb.jpg

Finally a picture of the other end of the yard

post-2484-0-15876700-1425805946_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Dan I like the plan, plenty of operating potential there.

You have a good selection of motive power and rolling stock to get you started.

It's not too big, so much more finishable if you know what I mean.

I shall follow this project with interest.

Peter M

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop Dan. Just don't let Jordan see that gondola! :blum: Sorry F-unit...

All the best,

Lloyd

Two points of order:-

1. Why should I not see a Soo Line gondola?? It is evidence of exquisite good taste ;) unless it gets repainted :nono: which isn't... :mad: :P

2. Dan - it is only March. This is far too early to start a layout for TVNAM.!! Traditionally it should be started less than a fortnight in advance, although Grand Masters usually leave it until the night before.... :D

Thanks for the comments chaps!

David - the baseboard is 4' x (i think) 10" - It's TINY.

Jordan/Jack - You both must have picked up on my mercurial modeling mojo by now? If I don't start it now it won't get done by TVNAM. I've already got a plan together to extend Cane River to 18' fully scenic, so I really need to crack on with WASt before my curiosity and enthusiasm drag me toward that.

Oh, and RBE just handed me back my single remaining English loco and a pack of 2mm finescale rail and copperclad sleepers, so there's that to faff around with too! :D

Adrian - will this do?

20150308_175422-1_zpsikelihd7.jpg

Finally, the promised daylight photo of my boxcar. Bet you thought I'd forgotten, eh?

20150308_082929_006-1_zpsogdtbn6n.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments chaps!

David - the baseboard is 4' x (i think) 10" - It's TINY.

Cheers - small but enough to pack in a really interesting track plan and lots of operational potential. It will be good to watch this one develop.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance everyone, it's much appreciated. :)

Last night I decided to work on the 50' Ribbed sided box car I picked up at Mansfield.

Using this photo below as inspiration:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1036312

It now looks like this:

20150310_112303_006-1_zpsk1n70chm.jpg

I may have gone overboard with the rusting on the side, but I kinda like it. :)

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 3

Looks like a good plan.  I did something similar in 2007, cribbed the design from a Nick Pallette article.  Didn't get beyond the basic ground cover, but was fun to operate

Always gratifying to see somebody else inspired by one's efforts. As they say - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have to say that track plan was a contender for my O scale layout fearured elsewhere.

• Like 1