West Allen Street & Thawne - Extension #5 - Harrison Yard

DanielB

Cheers guys :)

I always planned for this layout to be sparse - like some dilapidated industrial line you might find hidden away between two rows of old brick factories and department stores and apartment blocks. The kind that even people who live on the same street as it don't even know is there because it's hidden away in some forgotten old nook in a bustling metropolis.

The kind of place that sees maybe one train a day and then is deathly quiet and almost abandoned when said train isn't around - like a no-mans land - no one wants to be there, the only folk who are there, are there because they have to be.

Somewhere no one would go to by choice.

Hopefully I'm achieving that. :)

• Like 1

In lieu of an update for this evening I have a question I'm hoping someone here can assist with. :)

I'm needing a couple of packs of workmen type figures for the layout, one set for the metals company loading dock, one set for the freight house/hard standing area.

I haven't clue where to look or which ones would suit my timescale. Can anyone assist here?

Thanks,

Dan

Can't help with the figures, but (having never been there) it's certainly getting the feel of some backwater in a dodgy part of town. Might need to add a burnt out car and general fly-tipping detritus to complete that.

It's probably more Albuquerque than Chicago (coming from someone who's never been nearer than Montreal & San Francisco), but you have said it's ATSF, so no problem there ;)

.....like a no-mans land - no one wants to be there, the only folk who are there, are there because they have to be.

Somewhere no one would go to by choice.

Hopefully I'm achieving that. :)

You've been to Wolverhampton, then.... ;)

For figures, the usual sort of 'workmen in overalls' types by the likes of Preiser would be fine. Work dress can often cross 'trades', so a factory engineer might wear overalls like a car mechanic, so no need to search too specifically for 'types' of workers. Don't forget too that Denim started off as a cloth for working clothes - "bibs & braces" overalls and suchlike. How jeans got to become expensive fashion items.. who knows!!

Hi Dan - looking nice, those pictures of the buildings from a couple of days ago remind me of an article on the Milwaukee's Kingsbury branch in Chicago that MR published a few years ago.

One thing you could do with as Chicagoland weather tends to be cold and wet, loading dock doors. Modern ones are inflatable but old ones were a metal frame covered in canvas that was pushed up to the car side to keep the weather out. Google "railroad loading dock doors" and you find pictures (can't cut & paste on my phone)

All the best

Nick

• Like 1

You've been to Wolverhampton, then.... ;)

For figures, the usual sort of 'workmen in overalls' types by the likes of Preiser would be fine. Work dress can often cross 'trades', so a factory engineer might wear overalls like a car mechanic, so no need to search too specifically for 'types' of workers. Don't forget too that Denim started off as a cloth for working clothes - "bibs & braces" overalls and suchlike. How jeans got to become expensive fashion items.. who knows!!

Wolverhampton wonderful compared to the backstreets around Southampton high street on a Friday night! :O  :butcher:

Dan, the layouts certainly got that run down, dodgy area. Shame its not a modern era layout or you could have had a few blokes in hoodies milling about suspiciously. In regard to adding tipped garbage have you thought of these:

http://scalescenes.com/products/T004-Furniture-and-Lineside-Junk

The sofas (couch to the guys over the pond) and tables etc would suit the area with enough vegetation around them. I'm not related to scalescenes just thought the furniture would suit.

All the best,

Lloyd

EDIT: Forgot to put the usual stuff about not being related to companies.

Edited by GWR88

Well, having spent several days distracted by the links Jack provided...

Tonight it's blitz night.

My Noch grass tufts arrived today, so I plan on cleaning the excess ground materials off the layout, adding the background flats to the rest of the layout and then adding some grass tufts.

Then I'll be breaking out the paint and cracking on with some detailing items I've been working on.

Images to follow once I've had time to actually do the work.

This week is my "get WAS as near to finished as possible before the weekend" stage. :P

N is my true love, but I am partial to the larger size of HO kits and rolling stock - more scope for detailing and weathering.

At any rate, I like the train lengths I can get in N, so I wont be replacing it anytime soon. :)

• Like 1

It's that slippery slope again, N then H0, now there's 0 - won't be long before he has that bargain G scaler sitting on a shelf somewhere. :)

Hold on a mo...the words G scale and bargain can be used in the same sentence?!

Well... hopefully you are all sitting down... we have a progress report!

The last of the background flats has been chosen and printed out, cut to shape and placed against the backscene - just need to mount it onto some thinner card than I already have and then attach that to the backscene.

I've also added a few Noch grass tufts here and there to add to the overgrown look of the sidings.

Finally, I've started work on the freight transfer building which will form a view blocker to the sector plate. It's a bare skeleton at the moment but I am hoping to have it progressed over the weekend if I have spare time.

20150423_215747-1_zpskpwcqahj.jpg

20150423_215732-1_zpswyjww4z7.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Non-update time, I guess. :(

I had hoped to spend some time over the bank holiday working on the layout but got tied up with other persuits of the grilled meat variety.  :drinks:  :nyam:  :nyam:  :drinks:

At any rate, the spare time I did have to work on modeling, I spent tidying up the layout room and fixing some more benchwork to make the room more accessible.

In my travels, I did find a box of 00 gauge stuff which I plan to hunt through for spare parts or pieces of something that might prove useful toward the layout. I did find a small tub with some pallets, sacks and oil drums in, which should help populate the loading dock. :)

• Like 2