MARSHFIELD with ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL

retroman

Hello and many thanks for the kind replies.

MwEB will be undergoing a simplification and partial rebuild over the next few months.  As I get older I am finding that crawling around under baseboards is not really an option, so I've brought a lot of electrical contacts and plug sockets to the surface where I can access them more easily.  I've also cleared a whole area of sidings so that I can, at last, enjoy the use of a proper work station (pictured).

There used to be an elevated circuit that looked good but was operationally useless, as the incline from the ground level tracks was hidden and the elevated section covered two of the mainlines.  Although I built-in access hatches to clean the track and recover derailments, these were inadequate.  So I 'bit the bullet' and removed 50% of the upper circuit.  It will now be an out-and-back branch line for DMU operation.  I intend to add two extra crossovers for the returning DMU on the ground-level mainlines to increase operating interest in due course.

Yesterday I built a Mountain Section in one corner, you can just see the white ModRoc in the photo.  I though I'd populate this with N gauge Spruce trees to give an impression of distance in the 'small/far away' theme of Fr Ted.

It all looks a bit of a muddle but it's now a lot better than it was!

DSC_0064_2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello again, only a three year absence this time ...🙄

However the rebuild is contiuning, albeit slowly, so it is timely to resurrect this thread.  I have fallen into the 009 Vortex and being a loyal son of Cambria, I have decided to reinstate the (defunct) upper circuit as "The Pen-y-Bryn" Narrow Gauge Railway.

A taster photo ...  Hunslet 0-4-0 ST BLANCHE crosses the standard gauge mainlines enroute from Pen-y-Bryn station (under construction on the right), whilst 50007 passes by beneath with the daily 1V92 1320 Glasgow-Swansea.  On the left, 0-4-0 ST PRINCE is held at Bute (Upper) Tunnel, awaiting the road onto a line that has yet to be built!

52736784695_6bf92cb7e9_k.jpg

Edited by retroman
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back, Dave. 

I take it more to follow ? 

Rob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Good to see you back, Dave. 

I take it more to follow ? 

Rob

Hi Rob,

Indeed yes.  Retirement has many benefits!!  As I'm sure you are aware ....

The premise with the upper branch line circuit being that BR(W) decided that the whole project was now longer viable - as did I - so the trackbed was sold to a wealthy eccentric to convert to Narrow Gauge and operate as a tourist railway.  Plus there is a handy slate quarry nearby, so this guy also saw a commercial oportunity ...

Another view of BLANCHE, this time on the approach to Pen-y-Bryn station.  A recent indulgence on my part passes by on the Up South Wales Pullman.  There were houses in that far upper corner, but I have since installed an Esso refinery, serviced by the old ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL STATION, recently re-opened for workers.

52736262208_b4514ff0dc_k.jpg

The Pullman again, with a Class 22 on the left in the steelworks complex.  PRINCE hauls a short frieght over ELY BRIDGE Viaduct.

52736624219_3469758db6_k.jpg

I'l post up a trackplan of the NG line in due course, but it's basically as follows:

1.  A 45-foot single track loop incorporating Pen-y-Bryn Station, a passing loop across a second platform, and an engine shed for the steam engines.

2.  A Station Avoiding line for frieght trains.

And, er, that's it.

• Like 5

I should say that although the mainline railway is DCC, the Pen-y-Bryn is 12v DC.  Several reasons for this, not least because I had a 3 track GAUGEMASTER controller gathering dust, plus DC gives me greater loco options, of which more anon.

A few more photos of the layout in it's current state as we follow BLANCHE on her travels.

1.  BLANCHE passes by the steelworks whilst an 03 shunts the complex.

52736624199_ee5640a1f6_k.jpg

2.  BLANCHE has now reached the automatic level crossing.  Excuse the random Landrover, broken fences and terracotta DAS embankments!  I had to reach across the layout to work, causing some minor damage.

52737731671_21de7f0769_k.jpg

3.  MARSHFIELD station with a DPU in the platform as BLANCHE continues around the circuit.

52737731756_f323085291_k.jpg

Edited by retroman
  • Like 7

A recent diverionary project has been this Baguley-Drewry battery loco.  The original worked an armaments depot on a secret underground network at RAF Chilmark, which I had never heard of until now!

The kit came from eBay, running on a KATO chassis.  Wasp stripes have yet to be added.

52755338674_1f86ddd644_k.jpg

The B-G was named ELVIS upon arrival at the Pen-y-Bryn.  Here, the King of Rock 'n' Roll wannabe rattles over the mainlines whilst 1200 FALCON passes underneath, running light.

52755585153_e5f9610b3f_k.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Dave

Good to see you back and the layout alive and well fella, it’s been a while!😉

Thanks Ian!! I've just caught up with your threads - good work!  Now that my daughter lives in Hampshire, I may even get to the Brockenhurst show in May ... 

I confess, I do try to stay off the railway modelling Internet as it is a massive distraction from actually doing anything ... but as my layout is fixed and in my attic this is the only way other folk get to see it.  MwEB is now in it's 17th year, I doubt if it would have survived if it had been anywhere else is the house, so I'm glad I took the plunge and headed for that dusty attic all those years ago!

As I get older I'm looking for ways to make life easier.  The layout was far too wide at one point, so I dismantled a section so that I could reach everything more easily.  My new rule of thumb - 3' is the absolute working maximum width!  

Before: utter chaos.

52742082832_a2f785de67_k.jpg

Now: vast improvement.

52757404706_c27ab302a8_k.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, retroman said:

Thanks Ian!! I've just caught up with your threads - good work!  Now that my daughter lives in Hampshire, I may even get to the Brockenhurst show in May ... 

When you’re in Hampshire visiting, the offer of a visit here still stands!  

• Thanks 1