MARSHFIELD with ELY BRIDGE HIGH LEVEL

retroman

My dad was a Royal Marine, so I've made this a RM base. If you are wondering how this space is accessed via vehicles, its through the larger of the two green roller shutter doors!! I do need some Marines and a few more details to complete this, I've already got another Bedford truck and a forward control Landrover OMWB.

The flags were downloaded from the internet and printed off.

post-1538-0-57334000-1337510719_thumb.jpg

post-1538-0-09304800-1337510737_thumb.jpg

Edited by retroman
  • Like 3

As you seem to have the space with a 14'x11' room, why not explore the possibility of a fiddleyard underneath the layout? You could have it branching out to and have loads of lines to store your locos and stock, and have spare lines to hold current stock. Just a thought to play with.

Thanks for the thought Rob, I have already explored this and decided it would be too much uncomfortable work. I think a new layout in a few years is the better option, learning from the mistakes I've made on this one!!

In the most recent photo, there seems to be some strange curly thing in the forground on the fence. I can't work out what is is, and what it's for, could you shed a light?

Ahh yes that's my pathetic attempt at Barbed Wire, using a discarded G string from my guitar. Obviously not very convincing!!

It is convincing now you've said that, but I think it would work better if you could get the diameter less, as also secure it to the fence as it seems to be drooping to the floor.

Also could get you a few odd looks explaining about your g string hanging oin the layout!!! hehehehe

Great looking layout!!

SImon

• Like 1

It is convincing now you've said that, but I think it would work better if you could get the diameter less, as also secure it to the fence as it seems to be drooping to the floor.

I've tried, it's a ###### to work with. The heavier gauge strings don't retain the coil, neither do the lighter ones. The G is the only string I could get to work by wrapping around a pencil with a pair of pliers, but it was hard work.

It's the wrong wire to use, basically!! I'll replace it with something else in due course.

This layout is truly inspirational. I’ve just started my own loft layout based in South Wales in the 2000s. If I can make mine look a fraction of the quality of yours I’ll be very happy!

• Like 1

being the 80's ? you might want some of these:

300px-Land_Rover_101_Forward_Control_2.jpeg

Landrover 101 FC, various variants, saw service across the military

some of these

300px-Humber_pig_parola_1.jpg

Humber pig lightly armoured truck - used widly from 50's - 90's, saw service in northern Ireland

and possibly one of these:

300px-Alvis_Stalwart.jpg

Alvis Stalwart - 6x6 amphibious load carrier, often fitted with a crane

all images from WIkipedia and shared under their usual creative commons

• Like 4

That copper will never catch him, he looks like he's just stepped on a roller skate......

First ever house I went in as a young PC, I didn't step on a roller skate but a rather large steaming mound left in the hallway by the family pet dog !

And it was very near to Ely Bridge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I came to this thread via your "Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of Time?" thread.

I choose threads that are similar to what I hoped to achieve (OO gauge, 80's) so it is surprising I didn't spot yours earlier, but I am here now.

Would it be possible for you to do a rough track plan sketch because I am interested in visualising the entire layout and also understanding how your inclines work.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Outstanding.

It must be because I just don't like diesel era layouts but this one is right up there as far as this forum is concerned. Love the micro detail like the posters and the oxide repaired wing on the 105E Anglia.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

evening Retroman

hope you feel better about your posts being followed now.

I have been watching ( and I commented) do I win a prize......?

Just read your other thread tonight - how late am I.......?

I tend to dip into RMweb and go to the "content I follow" tag on the pull down menu beside my name.

Then I can see ( over just a few pages) if any topics I follow have been updated.

every now and then I look through layout topics to see if there are new layouts or look in the BR Blue section - but it is a big site and as others have said - it is easy to miss whole layouts.

Keep an eye on the views total though. When I update my thread ( every blue moon) I can get 1000 extra views - yet often no new comment. I take the view that it has been read - but comments did not need to be made.

some posters are better at making "leading posts" that invite responses. Yours come over as statements of progress and maybe not questions?

your layout, weathering and composition are right up there with the best (IMHO) so please do keep the updates coming

• 4 months later...

High time I added an update.  After months of inactivity I decided to finish all the wring and sort out the control desk.

First of all - depot lighting.

post-1538-0-39560100-1360776080.jpg

post-1538-0-92342400-1360776091.jpg

post-1538-0-28949900-1360776205_thumb.jpg

The Power Box.

post-1538-0-92609100-1360776232.jpg

post-1538-0-31519600-1360776289_thumb.jpg

post-1538-0-70431400-1360776325_thumb.jpg

Even the signals work!! Although I have 3 gantries which are 'dummy' at the mo.

post-1538-0-88992600-1360776414.jpg

Finally, this is the sorry mess under the baseboards .... post-1538-0-51728000-1360776450.jpg

• Like 11