Swansea East Dock

steve fay

I suppose everyone is now fully aware of this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96810-minerva-model-railways-a-new-o-gauge-manufacturer-is-launched-and-announces-peckett-e-class/

As soon as I seen it I thought mmmm il have one of those!! I've always liked the absorbed industrial shunters in and around South Wales and I've been long looking for a South Wales based Prototype to model.

This will provide a contrast to Ranelagh Bridge as instead of big prestigious locos in an urban grotty environment it will be small shunters and goods locos in an industrial grotty environment

post-5983-0-98338000-1425895534.jpg

post-5983-0-58026200-1425895567_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-84226400-1425895584.jpg

The behind the scenes badgering is continuing and hopefully the above will be available through Heljan at some point in the future.

A lot of my locos both current and future will be able to be used on both layouts.

Swansea East Dock will most likely be built in sections so I can exhibit it in the future.

As for buildings the two main structures are the coaling stage and the shed, both will be sourced through Phil (brush type 4 ) of Intentio designs, see his link in my signature below.

I'm going to jot a track plan down based on the real location although their might be some compression to get it all in and hopefully my Freind who did the templot for RB can also do the same for this project.

So there we go, I know I've started a few threads recently but this one will go ahead as I've been looking for a South Wales based prototype for a while and now I've found something that ticks all the boxes.

Now where's that Agenoria Catalogue??

Funny, I grabbed my Agenoria catalogue as well!! The Barclay 1140 is not in it though. It was not well liked apparently as it would run out of steam and was dreadful to fire.

Mercian do a kit for 'The Kilmarnock' as 1140 was called.

Here is a great picture of 1144, the little Hawthorn Leslie somewhere in Swansea. I have also attached some photos of my model of 1144 built from the Agenoria kit. She desparately needs weathering along with my LHT 64XX and TVR A Class. I can heel a Swansea docks model coming on after Cwm Bach.

Regards to all,

post-13142-0-34324100-1425910486_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-54689100-1425910487_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02069400-1425910490_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-46942300-1425910492_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33049300-1425910495_thumb.jpg

If your 1144 appears on eBay Chris, will that tell us what the next Minerva model will be? :secret:

Looking forward to this one Steve- the oddball collection of tank engines loitering around Swansea as the antithesis to the standardisation steroetypically associated with the GWR has always appealed to me.

post-5983-0-85067300-1425939111.jpg

Thanks Scott I'm looking forward to it, on the above picture you will notice the shed test ATC ramps, these have been designed and are going to be 3D printed with the timber section laser cut by Phil @ intentio. All GW sheds had these, the larger main line ones are also being done which I will use on Ranelagh Bridge. These will be available to all GW /WR modellers soon enough.

They will also be followed up by GW pattern 3D printed buffer stops which I will be using on both projects

Two sites that may give you some more photographs of the location if you haven't got enough already are swanseadocks.co.uk and there is a Facebook group(if you are on Facebook) "so you think you know swansea".There are quite few photos in the railway section of the docks website and a good selection on the Facebook site. 

Steve. What about the GWR numbers? The SHT and P&M 'E' Pecketts don't help by being renumbered. I cannot see the logic why either.

I think he already does some of the GWR numbers. I'm not sure why BR changed the numbers over

Steve

You are probably already aware of it (it was mentioned in a post on the Minerva Peckett thread), but Steam Days published a superb article called "Memories on Swansea Docks Area and its engine sheds" in its September 2013 edition.

15 pages, 26 photos and 2 maps! If you haven't already got it, may be worth seeing if you can get a back number from Steam Days.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Ooh where's me magnifying glass?...Looks like a 3 doll tubular type but I can't make out the arm type. Possibly all shunt/shorter arms.

JF

They should be all 3ft arms there Jon - i can check if need be -  and if you happen to need a photo of a similar signal (albeit with longer arms) I have one from Salop which won't be much different.

They should be all 3ft arms there Jon - i can check if need be -  and if you happen to need a photo of a similar signal (albeit with longer arms) I have one from Salop which won't be much different.

Ah, like this one... :declare:

post-7179-0-95247100-1426200325_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-85250900-1426200347_thumb.jpg

One of my first GW brackets from 2008..seems so long ago now!

Thanks Mike!

JF

Hi Steve,

Looks like twin posts with some cross bracing. A cleaner/higher res. image would help.

That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have so there will be a bit of guess work

• RMweb Gold

Ah, like this one... :declare:

attachicon.gifDSCN6602.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN6601.JPG

One of my first GW brackets from 2008..seems so long ago now!

Thanks Mike!

JF

Like that one but with short arms - but the doll spacing would be the same as for full size arms and I see the left hand arm is higher than the other two! (and not in an LMR paint scheme for a signal at Swansea methinks ;) )

It would be very unusual if it did have twin posts - they were not very common on WR tubular steel signal structures and I have never come across one where there were two posts in other that an fully offeset bracket structure (with signals applying to either both lines or the second line over from the position of the signal post).

I don't know if it was still there when I was relieving at Swansea late in 1973 but in any case on my arrival I was given the South Wales mainline bit to worry about while my colleague seemed to spend all his time at Eastern Depot - which suggested to me he had got thoroughly fed up with being tied to High St when he was there on his own before I was sent down to lend a hand as he cheerfully dumped several daily tasks onto me (not that I minded)

Archived