Farish Weathered BR Mk1 coaches

markwilson

Last year, I bought some factory weathered Maroon BR Mk1 coaches (2 SKs/374-061C and an SO/374-012C). I've been waiting patiently for the BSK to be launched and I got one at the weekend but the weathering is much lighter (chassis mostly, hardly visible at all on the sides of the coaches, whereas the older ones were quite "dirty").  Do these vary according to how they come out of the factory (i.e. should I swap for another example of the model), or have Farish just changed the finish on the BSK (374-084A)?

• RMweb Premium

I would imagine they're all done to the same standard. Some cleanish and some dirty will be ok for the maroon livery as coaches were often added to or taken off rakes according to demand during this period.

The BCK (374-084A) does seem to have been weathered to a different pattern from the other weathered Mk1s with just the under frame and ends weathered.  All the BCKs are like that and it is a bit of a shame that it doesn't match the other weathered maroon coaches with the heavy all over weathering. 

I also find it a bit odd that the SK and BG were Western Region, the SO was Scottish and the BCK is Eastern Region.  It hasn't stopped me buying them all; the weathered BG in particular looks just right in a parcels train.

The BCK (374-084A) does seem to have been weathered to a different pattern from the other weathered Mk1s with just the under frame and ends weathered.  All the BCKs are like that and it is a bit of a shame that it doesn't match the other weathered maroon coaches with the heavy all over weathering. 

I also find it a bit odd that the SK and BG were Western Region, the SO was Scottish and the BCK is Eastern Region.  It hasn't stopped me buying them all; the weathered BG in particular looks just right in a parcels train.

I agree that its odd that they're spreading the weathering across the regions, making for either an unlikely cosmopolitan rake of weathered coaches, or a strange mix of weathered and unweathered if you're trying to keep to your chosen region.

Speaking of which, considering BCKs and BSKs in the Maroon/Blue-Grey era, Bachmann-Farish have now produced 10 ER examples, 8 MR examples, but only 1 WR example and nothing for the ScR. What's that all about? Had the WR & ScR stopped using BCKs and BSKs by then?

Archived