N scale vs. 00 scale ballast

GreenDiesel

I'm gradually getting into N Scale but still have several 00 items around. I will need to ballast my new N scale layout soon but am trying to keep costs down.

I don't have any N scale ballast yet but do have a fair bit of 00 ballast left. Is there a way I could still use this ...could I even grind some of this up into a finer ballast, using (say) a coffee grinder?! (Otherwise, I could use the 00 ballast as large rocks scattered along a river, etc.).

I realize this may be a crazy question but you'd think that the coffee grinder could make my 00 ballast finer, as long as it doesn't dull the grinder too much!

Thanks.

Well, many of us use ballast sold as N or 2mm scale when working in 4mm scale as many of the '4mm' products are far too big. I suspect they might be more suited to rockeries in 2mm scale. As to grinding, if you tell us what make it is, someone might be able to say what material it is made from. For example, IIRC, Carr's ballast is ground nut shells so should be ok in a grinder.

Nick

Well, many of us use ballast sold as N or 2mm scale when working in 4mm scale as many of the '4mm' products are far too big. I suspect they might be more suited to rockeries in 2mm scale. As to grinding, if you tell us what make it is, someone might be able to say what material it is made from. For example, IIRC, Carr's ballast is ground nut shells so should be ok in a grinder.

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I believe It's Woodland Scenics. I'll check this later today.

Green Diesel,

I use a product called (in UK) "Play Pit sand". It is very fine and has a consistent grain size - and is very cheap. Just a few GBP for a 10kilo sack, which will last me for a lifetime. Of course, it will need tinting to an appropriate colour; I use dilute Humbrol or similar oil-based paint to avoid softening the PVA adhesive.

Hope that this helps,

John

• RMweb Premium

Rob: when I was working in N, I found some N scale ballast. When I applied it, I couldn't tell the difference between that and plaster, it was so fine.

Rob: when I was working in N, I found some N scale ballast. When I applied it, I couldn't tell the difference between that and plaster, it was so fine.

Thanks, David. It seems like there are all sorts of fine sources one could use. I better reserve my 00 ballast for rocks though.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

If using sand from a builders merchant go for sharp sand - bigger grain size, its used to make concrete, builders sand is much finer and is used for mortar.

Cheers

Phil

If using sand from a builders merchant go for sharp sand - bigger grain size, its used to make concrete, builders sand is much finer and is used for mortar.

Cheers

Phil

I think sharp sand is the last thing you want for N.

Archived