Belgian industrial shunter colours? suggestions please.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

To accompany my Piko to CSD T 211.0 conversion, I recently picked up a pair of Fleischmann O&K mv9 shunters. I suspect I got them at a bargain price because they had been repainted (nicely) into gloss mid blue and lettered for UK industrial use. Patience and Modelstrip have returned the bodies to the factory finish, self coloured plastic.

post-6793-0-94754600-1426009647_thumb.jpg

Once I get round to building the planned layout they'll be strutting their stuff round the less salubrious areas of the fictitious Belgian inland port of Ennui/Verveling. I'd like to finish them in a livery that wouldn't look out of place for a Belgian industrial concern operating in the mid/late 70s possibly stretching to the early eighties. Unfortunately I struggle to find any photos of such concerns in this era, can anyone help with links to pictures or suggestions of the typical?

Thank you.

Hi Neil,

These sites have a number of shots of locos in private industry;

http://www.werkbahn.de/

http://www.rangierdiesel.de/

Including a page on what I believe was Fleischmann's prototype

http://www.rangierdiesel.de/index.php?nav=1400915&lang=1

Not Belgian but working at an Arcelor-Mittal plant in Luxembourg, built by CMI in Belgium for DSB as prototypes for a new shunter order that went to MaK

http://www.rail.lu/materiel/cmi500.html

All the best

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thank you gentlemen.

DM, thanks for the link, I was aware of it in the dim recesses of my mind but it's good to be reminded of it. Though I'm hoping to create a believable freelance industrial livery rather than reproduce SNCB/NMBS colours there are many fascinating photos there and I'm on target to while away a few hours browsing through them.

Nick, thank you too for the links. I had stumbled across a few of the individual images when searching via google, but never managed to find my way back to the index so I didn't know the sheer depth of coverage, particularly of the  werkbahnen site.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The attached photos are all of industrial locos taken at various sites around Belgium during my travels around the country searching out such locos in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Whilst the date is outside your time period, I think that most of these locos are wearing appropriately pre-1990s liveries. Numbers 3, 9 and 12 are preserved, the rest are working industrial locos. The first photo is a bit rubbish as the front of the loco is completely in shade but its a nice shot of the livery on the cab which is why I have used it instead of the side view I have of the same loco. If you want any more details let me know.

post-23087-0-56472500-1427189809_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-23094300-1427189834_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-95487100-1427189840_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-02140100-1427189850_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-78081300-1427189855_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-06590500-1427189869_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-41780900-1427189879_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-82510200-1427189890_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-41413300-1427189906_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-13066800-1427189912_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-77014800-1427189929_thumb.jpeg

post-23087-0-61354100-1427189941_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Thank you nomisd; what a fantastic variety of liveries. It looks as though I have a free choice. The first loco with the three porthole windows intrigues me, is it a Deutz, several of their narrow gauge engines use a single porthole window.

The first loco with the three porthole windows intrigues me, is it a Deutz, several of their narrow gauge engines use a single porthole window.

It is a Deutz with rather an interesting history. It was built in late 1941 for the German Navy's Munitions Depot at Wilemshaven. Who knows the journey it took to end up at a stone quarry in Belgium.

That's an excellent and diverse collection of photos, nomisd.  Apart from the last one (Oostende) I don't recognise any of them!

(Ok, the blue one is a Renault at Gent, and there are some ex-SNCB class 91s in there also).

Would you please be able to add some captions?

That's an excellent and diverse collection of photos, nomisd.  Apart from the last one (Oostende) I don't recognise any of them!

(Ok, the blue one is a Renault at Gent, and there are some ex-SNCB class 91s in there also).

Would you please be able to add some captions?

Fair point, should really have added the captions originally! None of the Cockerills are ex SNCB, all of them were built for industry.

1 - Deutz 39633/41 at Carriers Gautier Winces, Soignies.

2 - Cockerill 3678/58, Carriers de Nameche, Nameche

3 - LLD (Locomotives & Locotracteurs Diesel - a French builder) ? - Complex Touristique du Trembleu, Blegny. The loco was originally 1100mm gauge which came from a steel works in France.

4 - Jung 13280/60, Hatlermann Oil, Antwerp Docks

5 - Cockerill 4138/64, Engrais Rosier, Moustier. Perhaps my favourite find, nothing special about the loco, its another Cockerill (and that is essentially the standard industrial loco in Belgium) but the site was fantastic. A fertiliser factory at the end of a branch line. The way we found these locos was basically to use the 1:200000 Michelin map, look at the railway lines that went to factories (which are handily marked on these maps), drive to them and see what was there (the internet wasn't quite as compressive and helpful at the time). Most of the time nothing but occasionally there would be locos. This site also had a second loco which was dismantled. We drove up to the office, explained what we wanted and they let us in to take our photos. As you can see from teh photo, it was a horrible, nasty rainy day - In August!

6 - ABR 2369/70 - BP Amoco, Feluy. The loco was on hire from Locorem in Liege. 

7 - Cockerill 4168/66, Vopak, Hemiksem.Another fantastically helpful site. An oil storage site just outside Antwerp, we turned up on spec (as usual) on a Friday afternoon and asked if we could photo their loco. The man in the office said unfortunately he couldn't let us into the site without written permission. However what he could do was to have the loco driven out of the site! So he got on the phone, found a driver and had the loco driven just outside the site gates so we could take photos - unbelievable helpful.

8 - Renault ?, Sea-Invest CBM, Gent.

9 - Cockerill 3590/57, Toeristiche Kolenspoor, As. A preservation site that had lots of standard and narrow gauge material. This loco was originally at a colliery in Waterschei.

10 - Deutz ? (can't find its identity at the mo, will look a bit harder later!), another loco at Haltermann Oil, Antwerp Docks

11 - Krupp 3343/55, Woodprotect Belgium, Gent

12 - GE 29361/48, indeed at CNO, Oostende.

I will scan some more photos and post them in the next couple of days.

Archived