• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Now 5528 is finished - see Abbotswood Junction thread - and D7100 is sound fitted time to move on to the 25s.Sound fitted chassis waiting for both of them so hope to be running by Trainwest.

First up is 5230 - here she is at Moreton-in-Marsh, was Worcester crew training loco at this time, wonder if she got here piloting a 31 on an up class 1?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d1015/6177630124/in/photolist-nCZ3fm-752gvk-98zLZW-apTYdd-dDsmse

Started off life as green D5183

http://www.ehattons.com/38470/Bachmann_Branchline_32_330DS_Class_25_1_D5183_in_BR_green_DCC_Sound/StockDetail.aspx

Had to be that body as all the blue ones I could find have welded up cab front doors. A quick dunk in superstrip cleared off the yellow panel and bodyside stripe. Details need changing - boiler filler access footsteps plated off and boiler room grilles also blanked off - the latter removed, replaced with Brassmaster etches, also used for footsteps from same fret. Handrails changed to wire on front.

Here she is in pink primer....

post-7138-0-46132200-1426009864_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-06318700-1426009882_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-56848900-1426009894_thumb.jpg

Pleased with that so far....

T'other is 7612 - 0ne of the Scottish token catcher fitted batch that came south in exchange for 27s. Sods law says the body shell has blanked off boiler ports when we needs grilles - got the spares from 5230, cut and filed out the apertures to take them and also ditto to create the tablet catcher recesses.

post-7138-0-95873100-1426010068_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-93644900-1426010078_thumb.jpg

ALso pretty in pink. You can see from that last shot that the grilles are not a perfect fit. Does anyone have a solution to easily deal with small gaps like that? using milliput or squadron makes a mess of fine detail for me...

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ok

Sat down earlier to look at those photos again just to make sure I wasn't missing anything

And guess what?

post-7138-0-58858600-1426026818_thumb.jpg

5230 (top) has the wrong exhaust port! That round protuberance was as originally fitted when the locos had a silencer - the oblong port next to the engine room hatches on 7612 (bottom) is correct for 5230 as per the photos.

So after an hours fun with plasticard, strip and brass mesh 5230 now has the correct port

post-7138-0-23652500-1426027078_thumb.jpg

Just a bit more filler needed where the original was removed

All Bachmann 25/1 and 25/2 body shells I have with the early pattern bodyshell - with the grilles on the bodyside rather than at cantrail level - have this round exhaust. Its wrong am sure for a blue loco let alone a TOPs numbered one.

Ho hum!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

Just to put a spanner in the works some Sulzer Bo-Bo had a "L" shaped panel instead of the type you have modelled. Did you check D5230's roof? The type of panel with the new exhaust is pretty hit and miss which version as far as I can work out.

post-16423-0-12510300-1426027784_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Evening Clive!

A spanner in the works? That will be the train heating boiler no doubt!

This is the best roof shot I currently have

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/14202014928/in/photolist-nCZ3fm-752gvk-98zLZW-apTYdd-dDsmse

WHat do you think?

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

Some thoughts on filling those small gaps where you've fitted the boiler grille. Some of my bodge-jobs I've had to do similar, and stumbled on a method. I'm not saying it's perfect but minimises the amount of filler getting into the etch which as you say is a pig to remove.

By pressing filler behind the etch with a cocktail stick very gently, the gap will be filled with minimum protrusion. Any filler that does protrude can be very carefully smoothed back with a clean cocktail stick. Very very fine wet and dry then to get things flush when the filler has set rock solid. I've done this on a number of scavenger fans.

Problem with the Bachmann 25/1s is the raised body side grilles and cab shape, but until resin cab replacements are commercially available I'll just have to live with it. Are you going to do the sole bar removal from the chassis too?

Neil

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the thoughts Neil!

The grilles aren't etches unfortunately - they are the bacchy originals from 7612 and come with a sizeable lip around them so its not possible to get filler through from the rear unfortunately.

COcktail sticks are my favoured applier too - will just have to man up and to it !

The etches are the brassmaster blanking plates which went on really well. Taped them in place and as I had taken the grilles out there was a resulting orifice behind them. Sprayed superglue accelerator on to the back of the plate through this and carefully placed a drop of cyano in each corner which started to set before it could leak out on to the body. Result!

CHeers

Phil

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Hi again Clive

As usual decent roof shots are rare!

Had a trawl back through Kevin Derrick's excellent "Looking back at the 24 and 25s" last night and it seems to me that there may be a pattern

25/1 - new exhaust port in existing roof panel as 5230 appears to have

25/2 - new exhaust port in square panel as per Bachmann shell

25/3 - At least some - if not all - have new exhaust port in L shaped panel as you describe

Does that co-incide with your thoughts I wonder?

Looks like 5230 might be about to have its roof rebuilt again....

Will also go back and recheck all my Bacchy models to see what they have done with this although I fear the answer

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Watching this one with great interest having stumbled over the exhaust issue myself a few months ago. The combined research efforts here will be very useful when my 25s are selected for detailing work as previously I'd only got to the "Oh, they're different..." stage.

Thanks chaps!

• RMweb Premium

Hi again Clive

As usual decent roof shots are rare!

Had a trawl back through Kevin Derrick's excellent "Looking back at the 24 and 25s" last night and it seems to me that there may be a pattern

25/1 - new exhaust port in existing roof panel as 5230 appears to have

25/2 - new exhaust port in square panel as per Bachmann shell

25/3 - At least some - if not all - have new exhaust port in L shaped panel as you describe

Does that co-incide with your thoughts I wonder?

Looks like 5230 might be about to have its roof rebuilt again....

Will also go back and recheck all my Bacchy models to see what they have done with this although I fear the answer

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Some time ago I done a spredsheet of the detailed differences between locos and from memory I cannot recall a pattern for the roofs of class 24s and 25s. The trouble is this information was saved on floppy disc........"We don't need these anymore" she said as the dustman turned up.

As I said it was a long time ago.

I will have a trawl through my Sulzer books this evening to see if there is a pattern.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the thoughts Neil!

The grilles aren't etches unfortunately - they are the bacchy originals from 7612 and come with a sizeable lip around them so its not possible to get filler through from the rear unfortunately.

COcktail sticks are my favoured applier too - will just have to man up and to it !

The etches are the brassmaster blanking plates which went on really well. Taped them in place and as I had taken the grilles out there was a resulting orifice behind them. Sprayed superglue accelerator on to the back of the plate through this and carefully placed a drop of cyano in each corner which started to set before it could leak out on to the body. Result!

CHeers

Phil

Give a very small amount of decorators caulk a try using a cocktail stick to push it where it needs to be, then a cotton bud wetted along with the cleaned cocktail stick to prick out any detail that was gummed up. it must be the paintable caulk though its useful stuff for all manner of jobs and a lot cheaper than other products. Only downside is your other 'alf might get ideas if she sees it around the place, then in her eyes it would be nice to redecorate the house once more, you have been warned...

Kevin

Hi Phil,

Gteat work on the 25's. For small gaps like yours around the grilles I now use  carefully applied thick Superglue. I stumbled across the method accidently while doing EMU conversions. It also has the added advantage of drying quickly. Hope this is of some use.

Cheers for now, Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Nice thought - I had contempalted that too, but buit the bullet with the squadron again just before bed last night  

Will rub down and reprime tonight and repost if improved

CHeers

phil

... You can see from that last shot that the grilles are not a perfect fit. Does anyone have a solution to easily deal with small gaps like that? using milliput or squadron makes a mess of fine detail for me...

Cheers

Phil

This isn't something I've tried yet, but an aircraft modeller of my acquaintance uses a thin film of grease over parts he doesn't want filler to stick to. I works for him, but ...

Regards

• RMweb Gold

ALso pretty in pink. You can see from that last shot that the grilles are not a perfect fit. Does anyone have a solution to easily deal with small gaps like that? using milliput or squadron makes a mess of fine detail for me...

Try this Phil, very thin and does what it says on the tin.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Technical?s=99189956004

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Churchdown works currently on overtime at the moment sorting class 25 exhaust ports

Heres 5230 again - last nights incorrect effort a distant memory

post-7138-0-57317300-1426110756_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-42724700-1426110763_thumb.jpg

And the boiler room grille on 7612

post-7138-0-94381100-1426110771_thumb.jpg

Blue paint is looming unless anyone else wants to throw in a spanner? But seriously - its the wealth of info on here that has allowed me to progress these, many thanks all for the advice and input.

It seems Bacchy have acknowledged 3 exhaust port variants - the original round, the retro fit square panel as on 7612 (see posts back up this thread) and the retro fit L shaped panel as identified by Clive. The only one that doesn't feature is the retro fit on the 25/1s as on 5230 here - or at least its not on any of the 10 locos I currently have to hand.

Kind regards

Phil

Archived