Waverley47708

I have decided to start a new topic on RMWEB for my layout. It is based on Waverley in the mid 80s.

The layout is set in 1985/86 when the 47/7s were in ScotRail livery and based at Haymarket, before they went to Eastfield and before Sprinters began to appear.

47708 Waverley heading towards Waverley with a Mk3 ScotRail Express set from Queen Street.

post-4700-0-49632500-1447068563_thumb.jpg

In 1985 the 47/7s were in ScotRail livery and 27s were still to be found on the Dundee services. Large Logo, Intercity and Railfreight liveries had all appeared. In 1984 although the 27s were on the Dundee services, not all of the 47/7s and their coaches were in ScotRail. By 1987 the 27s were almost gone, the 47/7s had headed West to Eastfield and it was getting harder to ignore Sprinters.

I started construction of the layout about 9 years ago, delays as a result of the garage being too cold in the middle of winter, too many other things to do, too much time on RMWEB and three wee ones (little girls) have all slowed progress. Running trains instead of getting on with the layout and sometimes simply being overwhelmed by the task in hand have also slowed things down.

Waverley West is a first class layout and was an encouragement to me to get on with it, but it was also a reminder as to the work involved in trying to recapture Waverley in the mid 80s.

Having been brought up in a house overlooking a Freight Only line with a Class 20 and 16t mineral wagons every week or so, Waverley in comparison was an exciting place to be in the mid 80s with it’s 08s, 20s, 26s, 27s, 37s, 47s, 47/7s, HSTs, 101s, 104s, 107s, and 120s.

I used to head to Waverley with a school friend catching the 47 hauled Wessex Scot or the Cornishman from Inverkeithing, on arriving it was a quick check of the Solari Arrivals and Departures board before taking up residence in the BRUTE which was always to be found at the end of Plt 14. From there, with the exception of some of the HSTs terminating from the South we could see all that was coming and going.

Happy days, the highlight being the 47/7s on the Edinburgh Glasgow, 27s on the Dundee services and the 47/4s on the cross country services between Aberdeen, Dundee or Edinburgh and far flung destinations in Dorset, Devon or somewhere else in the South via the WCML

Most of the scenic section out with the station is now complete; the station area is still under construction.

More to follow, hope you enjoy the layout and I am hoping by putting it on here it will spur me on to get it finished.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 10

The idea.

My original plan was to model Dundee as I thought Waverley would be too difficult, however as I had no first hand knowledge of Dundee in the mid 80s I decided to bite the bullet and go for Waverley.

The layout is a twin track loop with a large fiddle yard.  The fiddle yard has a scenic break where Waverley Bridge would be.  The part of the fiddle yard in front of the scenic break forms the station and the area to the rear of it provides a place to hide trains after they have departed.

Although in reality platforms 12 to 18 are bay platforms, on the layout all tracks except 12, 13 and 18 are through lines, this is to allow it to operate as above and is unseen to the viewer.  A train sitting at one of the platforms will sit partially in the viewed section of the fiddle yard and partly in the hidden part, once it has reached its "destination" it will sit fully in the hidden part, i.e behind the scenic break.

The idea is trains leave their platform, head out through the Mound and go round the layout before entering the same track they left on but stopping before they come back out into the viewed area of the fiddle yard (the section of Waverley between Waverley Bridge and the Mound).

I wanted to be able to run trains round the layout but did not want them running through the station each time the did a circuit.  Trains at speed coming through what are supposed to be bay platforms, or trains which used the bay platforms appearing on the North or South through lines would not look right.  To get around this I incorporated two hidden loops which were to be hidden behind the walls which form the North and South boundary of the station.  This allows trains to run round and round the layout without appearing in the station area.

To be able to hide full length HST (2+8 for the ECML) at around 8ft the hidden section of the fiddle yard had to be over 8ft.  Rather than loose this space an upper section was built above most of the fiddle yard.  This will be developed later and will hopefully be a small terminus station, almost certainly fictional, possibly with a Highland feel to it or even a preserved line despite my policy on Kettles!

At this stage the most of the open countryside is done and Waverley is under construction.  The track and point motors are installed, the bases for the walls and gardens complete.  Photos below show the current situation in the station area.

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Photos of the current situation of the layout.

Photos 1 2 3 and 4.

The furthest away line partially hidden and the one nearest the camera are the hidden loops. The furthest away has the access top removed.

The HST is in Pt 19, the 27 in Pt 17, the DMU in pt 16 and the ScotRail Express in Pt 14.

post-4700-0-41967800-1426032336_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-98295400-1426032360_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-95954200-1426032525_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-06306100-1426032567_thumb.jpg

Photos 5 and 6, with the North and South walls in place.

post-4700-0-46620800-1426032603_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-84018800-1426032648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

Waverley in the 80s? Sounds a rubbish idea for a layout to me. S'pose I might watch it though.  :jester:

You've been able to include a lot more of the tracks on the south side that I could which is good. The absence of those tracks is probably my biggest frustration with my track layout, as it means there are rarely any free through lines to run freight trains, etc. through the station. I have a lot more space now but I am still constrained by my original plan unless I rebuild it. I'm planning on partly overcoming the problem by adding a fiddle yard. It's good that you don't have that constraint though. Because of the variety of trains passing through Waverley at that time, you'll quickly find you fill up the tracks I'm sure!

A track plan and dimensions would be good. The track plan in the station throat looks very familiar! Again, there are one or two tracks I had to leave out, so I think your track plan is closer to the real thing than mine. Great stuff.

Is it DC or DCC?

I like it.  :D  :D  :D It always surprised me that I was the only one building a model of such an iconic and readily modellable station (that I know of). The east end of the station would make a good layout too, but there was never as much variety there I thought.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Going by the controllers and panel I'd say it's a good old DC layout. I must say that as an ex-resident of Edinburgh I feel a little spoilt at now having two Waverley threads to follow. I like the idea of a secret roundy-roundy layout to keep things running, very clever. The use of hidden through platforms instead of bays is probably a wise choice from an operational perspective as well. I only wish I'd seen Waverley myself before privatisation and electrification, it looks like it had so much more atmosphere back then.

I'm intrigued as to which line the house of your youth overlooked - Granton branch by any chance?

I'll be keeping an eye on progress, so make sure there is some!  :wink_mini:

JB

Thanks for the kind comments, in a bit of a rush at the moment.

Have had a quick go at a track plan today.  It may make more sense than my attempt to describe it.  Blue lines are scenic breaks, dotted lines are hidden (fiddle yard or hidden north and south station avoiding tracks) lines.

The dotted line at the bottom leads to an area which will be a scenic section above the fiddle yard.  This was because I felt such a big fiddle yard was a lot of layout to loose to storage.

It is 16 x about 11 ft.  I think the Mound to Waverley Bridge is 6ft ish x 4 ft.  Other boards are 3ft wide.

post-4700-0-34531300-1426090357_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

[quote name="Waverley West" post="1813625"

You've been able to include a lot more of the tracks on the south side that I could which is good. The absence of those tracks is probably my biggest frustration with my track layout, as it means there are rarely any free through lines to run freight trains, etc. through the station. I have a lot more space now but I am still constrained by my original plan unless I rebuild it. I'm planning on partly overcoming the problem by adding a fiddle yard. It's good that you don't have that constraint though. Because of the variety of trains passing through Waverley at that time, you'll quickly find you fill up the tracks I'm sure!

This area of the layout has been relaid three times to get it right, using of the shelf points will always mean it is difficult to get the right angles. Photos from different angles give different perspectives. At least once it looked good based on one photo but not so good from a photo of a different view.

Other than missing plan 20 and 21 I think I got the rest ok. Some work was done in the 85-86 period to points leading to 10 and 11. I went for the earlier arrangement.

Is it DC or DCC?

DC.

I like it. :D :D :D It always surprised me that I was the only one building a model of such an iconic and readily modellable station (that I know of). The east end of the station would make a good layout too, but there was never as much variety there I thought.

The East end would be easier to model, a simpler track layout and simpler station architecture, but did you ever see trainspotters gather there? :wink_mini:  As you say not the same traffic. Not nearly as nice aesthetically either, no balance, big gaps where lines used to be. Lots of HSTs but no ScotRail Express every 30 mins.

Cheers
Dave

Going by the controllers and panel I'd say it's a good old DC layout. I must say that as an ex-resident of Edinburgh I feel a little spoilt at now having two Waverley threads to follow. I like the idea of a secret roundy-roundy layout to keep things running, very clever. The use of hidden through platforms instead of bays is probably a wise choice from an operational perspective as well. I only wish I'd seen Waverley myself before privatisation and electrification, it looks like it had so much more atmosphere back then.

It was a great place to be mid 80s.

I'm intrigued as to which line the house of your youth overlooked - Granton branch by any chance.

Sorry no I am Fifer, was the freight only to Dunfermline Upper.

I see I am going to have to learn to use multi quote property.  Until I do queries in blue, my response in black.

Edited by Waverley47708

Hi Calum

You have certainly done your homework and the layout is looking brilliant.

I loved the 47/7s and currently have all but two of them for the layout I am currently constructing (Parkway).

I will follow your thread with great interest and thanks for sharing it with us all.

John

A bit of progress.

Have added the embossed stone. The side nearest me was done with Wicks High Strength Contact Adhesive as I wanted the bond to be quick. I was worried PVA would need clamping and may slide while drying leaving a gap.

Listen to older and as it turns out wiser members of your club. As they said it did odd things to the plastic stone. However I think I got away with it. I did the far away side with PVA glue and it worked out better.

Spring has sprung and the grass in Princess Street Gardens has grown. Hopefully when the hedges are installed the trees will blend in a bit better.

Heljan make excellent logos, but their 27 is a version which was rare in 85-86, the more common type had the sliding cab side Windows and the beading removed from the front doors (but still present either side of the door), Heljan have gone for the drop light windows and beading. Anyway with a bit of hunting around I found 27033 in 1985 matched the Heljan model and so here she is arriving at Waverley from Dundee.

post-4700-0-74135500-1427215472_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-93692800-1427215489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 9

Haymarket's 26015 on its way to and from some ballasting operations at an unknown location.

By 1985-86 the majority of them had lost their boilers and been refurbished as freight locos. However their passenger days were not quite over, a shortage of DMUs would see them on services to Fife and they would also occasionally appear on cross country services instead of or in addition to 47s.

Sadly Waverley itself it not quite ready for ballasting yet. Need to get the platforms built and track adjusted before ballasting the station area.

post-4700-0-65812300-1427313371_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-16802300-1427313400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Haymarket's 26015 on its way to and from some ballasting operations at an unknown location.

By 1985-86 the majority of them had lost their boilers and been refurbished as freight locos. However their passenger days were not quite over yet a shortage of DMUs would see them on services to Fife and they would also occasionally appear on cross country services instead of or in addition to 47s.

Sadly Waverley itself it not quite ready for ballasting yet. Need to get the platforms built and track adjusted before blasting the station area.

HI there,

That last photo looks very reminiscent of area where the B6415 goes under the ECML.....

Thanks

Thanks, that section is completely made up, it represents anywhere a train from Waverley would go in East Central Scotland, if you ignore the 3 aspect lights it could be the ECML north or south of Waverley, the Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen St via Falkirk or the other way to Glasgow Central, the line to and from Carstairs, Cowdebeath or Dunblane.

A bit more progress. The hedges were made on Saturday, scouring pad and scatter method. You would be amazed how much the hedges varied when I looked at my reference photos. Continuous, blocks, lower than the fencing, higher than the fencing. I went for higher to protect the fragile spear fencing.

Cap stones made out of angle bar, scored about every 5mm.

The fencing was primed and sprayed today , British Racing Green no less! The length of slope in each corner and the angle of each was different. The two at the tunnel were about the same length, the one on the Princes Street side a more gradual slope. The steepest one is the one on the Princes Street side next to Waverley Bridge. The longest was the remaining one. Unfortunately I was stuck with one angle for the slopes (Ratio), maybe just as well.

Trees planted tonight. Think I may use more to fill in the gaps especially if I can't do something with a backscene.

post-4700-0-76711000-1427750647_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-15777300-1427750682_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-09725700-1427750712_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-74999400-1427751102_thumb.jpg

post-4700-0-26759600-1427751119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 5

Looks great Calum.

Where did you get the spear fencing from?   and what was the colour exactly?....humbrol?,

I wish I had your width of layout, my scaled down Waverley is great find to operate, but your full scale one will give you hours of operating/shunting fun!

Dave

• Like 1