Firsby Junction, Lincolnshire.

Just found this topic and am impressed with the model of the frontage.  If the proposal for a link from Horncastle to Spilsby had eventuated, instead fo the New Line, I think the Lincoln-Bardney-Horncastle-Firsby route would still be there.  I would like to see a description of the construction of the portico-an excellent rendition.  In the menatime, I look forward to more posts. 

Hi i've a half finished model of tatasall station. When I started it I got in touch with British rail archives and they provided copies of original drawings. Might be worth contacting them to see what they have

Regards steve

P.s.the nice gent who runs the art gallery at tatasll wouldn't let me take any measurements so a lot of guess work and brick counting from photographs went on

Edited by stevejjjexcov

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, jrg1 - interesting point about the proposed link from Horncastle to Spilsby. I think it would have made the Lincoln to Skegness route more viable out of season, but the anti-railway feeling at the time would probably have seen it off anyway. It would have been a pleasant journey across the Wolds though.

I'll talk to my builder about his construction techniques. His work has appeared in the modelling press before for the Spalding Model Railway Club's Gosberton layout, for Billingborough and of course Lincoln Central.

I did try the NRM and GNR Society when I was researching the station, both drew blanks when it came to plans of Firsby. The plans were drawn up using brick counting, comparisons etc, but certainly captures the feeling of the building.

The attitude of the guy at Tattershall seems a little odd - I thought he'd be proud of his distinctive building and happy to share it, but it takes all sorts.

Cheers,

Ben.

The buildings on the Fen line-Bardney, Woodhall Junction, Tattershall, Southrey, were of Italianate design and unique on the GNR.  I think one of Bardney's structures was dismantled and re-erected on a preserved railway.  

It was unfortunate that the GNR built the New Line-although the original idea was to provide a quick connection to the coast, the line ran through sparse countryside, and was inevitably closed.  Going from Bardney to Horncastle would have been expensive, as the Wolds had to be crossed, but the line would have  served greater population areas.  I agree that anti-railway sentiment was a problem-the execrable Lincolnshire Echo of the sixties comes to mind, but remembering the outcry when the East Lincolnshire Railway was closed, I think the Wolds line would still have been there, and increasingly important as East Lincolnshire's population grows.

I have a large file of information on Firsby, if you are inteerested. 

I think Bardney's buildings were taken to Peterborough but I hear that they were never re-erected and that the roof timbers were not protected from the elements as they ideally should have been...

Railworld has them at Peterborough.

The buildings on the Fen line-Bardney, Woodhall Junction, Tattershall, Southrey, were of Italianate design and unique on the GNR.  I think one of Bardney's structures was dismantled and re-erected on a preserved railway.  

It was unfortunate that the GNR built the New Line-although the original idea was to provide a quick connection to the coast, the line ran through sparse countryside, and was inevitably closed.  Going from Bardney to Horncastle would have been expensive, as the Wolds had to be crossed, but the line would have  served greater population areas.  I agree that anti-railway sentiment was a problem-the execrable Lincolnshire Echo of the sixties comes to mind, but remembering the outcry when the East Lincolnshire Railway was closed, I think the Wolds line would still have been there, and increasingly important as East Lincolnshire's population grows.

I have a large file of information on Firsby, if you are inteerested. 

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, I'd be really interested to see any information on Firsby, particularly the Up Side buildings and signalbox.

Cheers,

Ben.

We went to Railworld last year, very run down and to be honest not a lot to see, the staff refused to give us the discount from having tickets for the Nene Valley Railway and were un helpful, so I am not sure how long the place will survive.

Edited by Campaman

Going through some stuff today and came across a book I had forgotten.  Specifically 'Firsby.  Portrait of a Country Junction' by Gordon H Brown.  1994.  ISBN 0-9623993-O-X.  Printed by WT Design & Print Ltd., Rough Hill Farm, Loveclough, Rossendale, BB48UG.   110 pages, lots of photos, a layout map and a foldout Firsby Track Layout and signalling 1939.  

Kinda made me a bit nostalgic.

Going through some stuff today and came across a book I had forgotten.  Specifically 'Firsby.  Portrait of a Country Junction' by Gordon H Brown.  1994.  ISBN 0-9623993-O-X.  Printed by WT Design & Print Ltd., Rough Hill Farm, Loveclough, Rossendale, BB48UG.   110 pages, lots of photos, a layout map and a foldout Firsby Track Layout and signalling 1939.  

Kinda made me a bit nostalgic.

That is a cracking book, it has provided lots of useful inspiration for me during this project.

• 1 month later...

]I was in the process of setting up Cottleston for the Sleaford show on Saturday when in walks Howard with Firsby's main building on a board - really impressive modelling. He'd been working on it at the Ely the previous weekend and had some favourable comments about his work and the concept of modelling the station as though it had never closed.

I managed to take some pictures, though the phone camera flash as made it look like the exhibition hall was in complete darkness!

These are the platform side:

post-16103-0-25916900-1528144375_thumb.jpeg

The road side:

post-16103-0-14205700-1528144457_thumb.jpeg

And the inside of the booking hall which is now a coffee/cake/book shop. The kitchen he's created is really impressive.

post-16103-0-66044400-1528144510_thumb.jpeg

post-16103-0-13252100-1528144428_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Coul;d we have a description of the Porte-Cochere construction-very impressive!

Hi,

I'd love to help, but I am not the builder. I suspect a magazine article will be forthcoming, I'll post details when it comes around.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 3 months later...

post-16103-0-42857200-1538509011_thumb.jpg

A view of the road side, which will face the layout's viewing side.

post-16103-0-22681500-1538509110_thumb.jpg

Sadly the platform side will be largely hidden by the overall roof.

post-16103-0-63247300-1538509236_thumb.jpg

This is the end that is still extant, without the outbuilding to the left. 

post-16103-0-14547000-1538509319_thumb.jpg

The station building is all but finished now. I was absolutely knocked out to see it complete for the first time on Monday.

• Like 5