Farish Price Hike

bigP

Election fever clearly in full swing now as amid the pre 'post electoral economic uncertainty' Farish prices have just jumped by 10% - 20%.

Have noticed my pre order prices on the forthcoming 37s have gone from £89 to £102, 31s from £92 to £100 and Mk1s from £21 to £25.

Jeepers!

Have noticed my pre order prices on the forthcoming 37s have gone from £89 to £102

That's standard practice now, RRP has to be used until released

On release the discounted price will apply

Retailers have to do this now as price can change between now and the unknown release date

Also Bachmann mentioned last year that they have to provide a 20% wage rise each year for the next 5 years at the request(!!) of the Chinese government,

So this will be an annual thing for another 4 years.

However, discounting will still apply so we will still get some bargains, just not as much of a bargain as a couple of years back.

• RMweb Premium

I agree. There is the choice as to whether you accept these prices. I don't care what prices are charged in other countries, all that is of interest to me is whether I consider the current prices to be value for money to me. I don't. If others do, well thats up to them. Therefore I will no longer buy any more N RTR. I will just use what I have. Hardly a hardship.

Izzy

Looking again at many retailers' websites I notice there are also large price increases on Farish stock currently held. 

Having already been designed, manufactured and distributed I fail to see how current and future manufacturing costs and the effect of the global currency market can have any impact at all on a Poole era printed side Mk1 coach sat in a stock room for years, which is now deemed as costing £26 instead of the £14 that it cost last week (at what used to be my local model shop - and they are not the only one).   On Monday I purchased a 37 from a large retailer for £83.  If I ordered the same product today from the same retailer it would cost me £95.

Dutch Master, I agree with you in part.  I do have the right to choose and in this case have decided I won't be buying the 31s and 37s. 

I don't agree that we in Britain have been spoilt by cheap prices in the past.  Yes the prices of 'domestic rail' products have been cheaper in Britain than comparative 'domestic rail' products in Europe and USA for example, but in N we have suffered a far lower quality in the product.  It is fair to say that only in the past 5 - 6 years or so have we seen any significant increase in the quality on British N, which I feel still lags behind the likes of Fleischmann, Athearn, Kato et,al. So no, I don't think we are spoilt, we are charged relative to the quality we are offered.

I only hope that if price rises like this continue that they do not seriously detriment the smaller model retailer and lead them to stop stocking Farish products.

Archived