To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Just ordered a motorised Corgi tram

deeslexia

I have just ordered a motorised Open front LT tram on e-bay from tram man.

It's going to be messed with a bit with open canopy top courtesy of a modelling hacksaw plus interior/platform repainting.

it's neat that I  can swap to an enclosed top by two screws. 

Now I have to find the track etc from a late 70s train set !

dee

The motorised tram is great , but the old Hornby track and controller from the 80s are rubbish !

It's difficult to keep going on a standard oval , though admittedly , it's lain loose .

One point is difficulty with slow running which seems to be a combination of motor and track .

More importantly, I had hoped to create some tight curves with flexitrack, but the tram tries to veer of the track on the standard Hornby radius , so I guess that idea is out .

I would love Kato track which I could build up around , but expense is an issue - around £200 for an oval.

An oval is OK for me because it's all about scenery and the tram glimpsed in and out.

dee 

I would love Kato track which I could build up around , but expense is an issue - around £200 for an oval.

An oval is OK for me because it's all about scenery and the tram glimpsed in and out.

Dee,

Ever thought of having a go at building the track yourself from components? Dirt-cheap and much more fun (and easy too)!

Here is the motorised tram opened up .

The motor is upright, so shows through the glazing .

I gather that there are horizontal motors , but this requires much more to be cut away-weakening the structure.

I have opten for translucent glazing from an old diary plus tracing paper to lessen the impact.

I also painted the top and insulating tape sides of the motor in gunmetal which helps a bit.

I have also found that this tram is off white, so my open canopy remodel from another red and white tram which is a touch annoying.

I am not sure that I want to cut another top deck to open front , but I have another identical tram coming , so will decide then.

I also show my very temporary workspace which limits me to simple alterations !!!

Thanks for all the interest.

dee

post-19753-0-38046800-1427138556.jpg

post-19753-0-88982700-1427138573.jpg

post-19753-0-29965500-1427138641.jpg

post-19753-0-42826900-1427138662.jpg

Fantastic work, Dee! Just shows what can be achieved with limited workspace/circumstance. Your workspace looks no larger than mine. Keep up this great S scale modelling!

If you can, try and get to an exhibition where S scale MRS members will be demonstrating their S scale modelling. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you how you can build your own track using straightforward techniques and in a very limited space. Or how to improve the appearance of commercial HO track to better enhance your models.

Don't know where you're based, but our next SSMRS demo will be at Railex 2015, Aylesbury, on 23-24 May: http://www.railex.org.uk/

Thanks for the comments.

Somewhat off topic , but here's a 1:50 scratch built Art Deco Garage just for the delightfully accurate 1955 Morris Minors in Corgi's cheap and cheerful one piece base/interior range which detail up delightfully with a partial repaint  , open side windows - incidentally, the steering wheel is moulded in , but with rim and spokes touched in, it looks fine . 

Incidentally , the pumps are layered card with hand drawn dials which have not survived the years of neglect !!

Together with Grandad's  Morris Minor overtaking a Solido RT fitted with roof box and detailing and MM in scene  .

A bit bigger than S scale , but building techniques will be followed .

I am around South London - Biggin Hill but will consider finding an S Scale exhibition. I kinda fell into this by accident , but i bought an EFE 00 tram and much prefer the Corgis...Just as with the 1:50 buses and rare car finds , they are just so much more imposing and the buses lined up just register with ASD recognition of how it was

ASD [ ASdee ] needs several to reinforce the stimulus , like /same again ' . I cannot see complete bus or whatever just snapshots which my brain fails to make into a film , so  my 1950s Dinky Cars were a means of holding car to create a sense of it. Hence quite a few Corgi Trams and RT Buses  !!!  Actually , oo scale just does not impart this recognition .

post-19753-0-81989100-1427235593.jpg

post-19753-0-74646200-1427235707.jpg

post-19753-0-60307500-1427236521.jpg

Archived