RMweb - 10 Years Old

Andy Y

Happy HAPPY birthday to us! No idea how long I've been on board, but it's been a great voyage.

Well done to Andy, to the Mods, and to everyone here who makes it what it is.

H A P P Y. B I R T H D A Y !

Mr Blackrat if you look carefully at the 2nd picture in Andys post you will see your 'birth' it says our newest member is Blackrat

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Andy, and thanks for all the effort you've put into this, personally and profesionally. 

A selection of other events on this day in history, clearly not just any old day!

44 BC – Julius Caesar is stabbed to death 
1493 – Christopher Columbus returns from his first trip to the Americas
1874 – France and Viet Nam sign the Second Treaty of Saigon
1877 – First ever official cricket test match is played: Australia vs England
1892 – Liverpool F.C. is founded.
1906 – Rolls-Royce Limited is incorporated.
1917 – Tsar Nicholas II of Russia abdicates 
1956 – My Fair Lady receives its premiere performance on Broadway
1985 – The first Internet domain name is registered 
1990 – Mikhail Gorbachev is elected President of the Soviet Union
2005 – RMweb is founded

A heartfelt thanks to you Andy for having the vision to create this site. I have it listed under my Favourites as Magazines, as that is what it really is to me, and more. I'm surprised at the friendliness and helpfulness of the forum, compared to what I've seen in others. My "other" main forum, the Rover 75 Owner's Club, is a great place, and has helped over the years to keep my car on the road, but it is nowhere near as good as this one. No matter what the subject, it appears on here at some point. Folk are generally eager to help, and the upsets are minimal. And no-one seems to look down on anyone, we all try to be equal. The warmness that appears from nowhere when someone has a serious problem says a lot for the way the forum has developed - one big family.

Long may it continue, thanks to everyone for indulging.

Stewart

Mr Blackrat if you look carefully at the 2nd picture in Andys post you will see your 'birth' it says our newest member is Blackrat

9 years ago, wow thanks for that!

I've never once thought that I've wasted time here, I've learnt so much, shared so much, and made some very good friends into the bargain.

Fantastic!

Hi Andy,

A wonderful milestone.......we are indebted to you for all the time and effort you put into RMweb in those early years.......what a magnificent success its turned out to be.

I for one, would have been very much poorer in my knowledge of Railway Modelling without it.

I too remember the conversation we had before you started RMweb.....it went something like " Hi Bob, do you think there is a need for a really good Railway Modelling website"........having got a very positive response from me...off you went, and here we are 10 years on.

A big thankyou Andy.....heres to the next ten years.

Bob

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Some get their Questions Answered,
and some get their Answers Questioned.
Some are Motivated and some Inspired.
Some have a Laugh and some a Sob,
but the best of all, when I am tired,
I just relax and RMweb's just the Job!

Happy 10th RMweb birthday!

Kev.

• Like 12

Many Happy Returns to RMWeb, and many thanks to Andy and all those involved in running it. I rarely have a day without my fix of 'View New Content'; I am frequently stimulated, interested and intrigued, occasionally annoyed, but never bored. As long as it doesn't become personal or slanderous everyone should be able to have their say, and I think RMWeb achieves this very well.

As someone who lurked on here as a non-member for a good few years, I took the plunge and joined a couple of years ago, and have learnt so much from members and fellow modellers. There is nothing else quite like it.  Thank you Andy York for getting this concept to the wonderful resource that it is today.

John

• RMweb Gold

Many happy returns to Andy etal which I suppose means all of us really as we all contribute to the forum....

I certainly enjoyed the first members day and all the subsequent events in addition to making many new friends through the keyboard as well as in person.

25,000 members, speaks for itself, many congratulations on the birthday of the monster you have created, as a relative newbie I will join the others in their thanks for what is a primary source of information, banter and wit to us all.

It was interesting to read the history of RMWeb, particularly the earliest incarnation 10 years ago,

post-18627-0-41852500-1426415661_thumb.jpg

which looks remarkably like the current day O Gauge Guild site!

post-18627-0-82656600-1426415658_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday to all members of the RMweb society, thank you for the help advise and interesting topics that are posted.

Well done to the founder of the forum for doing a great job on keeping this site going.

I shall be raising a glass of wine later to you good health Mr York.

Terry. .

• RMweb Gold

Many happy returns Andy and RMweb.  Very difficult to add to what others have already said but despite the naysayers and purveyors of doom I think RMweb is still head & shoulders above comparable UK sites as a haven and source of contact and friendship for modellers of railways.  And I know that it still does something near to your heart - it inspires, and long may it continue to do so.

And very big personal thanks are due to you - for starting it, nurturing it, and protecting its future when commercial involvement became the only viable option for both yourself and the site, well done mate.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I do remember, just about, the old BRM "forum", and thinking how nice it would be if there was something better, more interesting, with photos and stuff. I'm sure there were others thinking the same way. Fortunately for us, there was somebody out there who was prepared not only to sit idly dreaming, but to do something about it, and I for one have benefitted for the full ten years. I wonder how many of us have ever come anywhere near to considering let alone understanding the amount of time effort and worry RM Web has taken out of Andy's life?  Well, here is the time and the opportunity to do just that, to reflect on the excellent facility which we now have, and to salute the guy who shouldered the burden, and made it all possible.

Cheers Andy and many thanks for all you have done and are doing. It isn't a job I'd want, trying to maintain that fine line between free speech and debate, and the laws relating to defamation and other such potentially expensive horrors. You've done a grand job, and I just hope that those who have sent time denigrating and trying to sabotage your efforts are spitting feathers today. Ten years and counting. Here's to many more.

• Like 4

Congratulations, ten years! As others have intimated and Andy himself has mentioned, there have been some tricky times but sheer devotion to the cause and tenacity has allowed RMweb to become the go to place on the net for many of us.

Well done Andy and others behind the scenes.

A slightly worrying find on the screen grab of the first incarnation is one of my previous user names in the products section!

I wonder who the other publishing house was, if it was the one I have in mind, keep well away in my opinion, they seem to spoil a lot of things they get their hands on.