RMweb - 10 Years Old

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Andy and Happy Birthday RMWeb.

Andy, you've done  fantastic job over the years, very many thanks for the forum.   It always gives me inspiration and I've picked up a lot of really useful ideas.

I now look forward to the next ten years, I wonder how big it will be by then - and how we will be accessing it.

David

• RMweb Gold

Reading through the above posts the thoughts echo mine

RMweb has inspired me, answered questions, made me new friends and keeps me on a steady course with my modelling

Some very kind comments about informing and inspiring others also come to mind but I rather think that to date I have been a net 'taker' rather than giver.

The resources on here are amazing - prototype information, particularly as I model the narrow era 1968-72, and modelling tips and hints have saved time and no doubt improved output.

Andy many many thanks to you and the team. My railway life would be infinitely poorer without this resource

Raising a glass to the next 10 years!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Andy and the mods and all the members on reaching the 10th birthday.

It's a great web site and all credit to Andy for setting it up and keeping it alive all this time.

Many of you will have already seen this but for the benefit of newer members the attached is the relevant posts on the old BRM forum that are the conception of RMWeb.

Happy Birthday to us:

Your input would be valued.doc

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hold a few positions of note within this community.  I have travelled the farthest to any RM web event (not once but twice and about to make that three times), have exhibited photos of the most distant layout to be featured at an RMweb event and I shall shortly produce the farthest-travelled layout to be present at an RMweb event.

I hold the distinction of having made the last post on the old RMweb and the only one dated 2010 thanks to the time difference between me and the server.

There must be a vast amount of information, skill, knowledge and camaraderie in the 95% of the site I still haven't visited.  Realistically I don't think I shall ever get to a lot of it.

Andy, the Warners team and the anonymous Mods (you know who you are ;) ) continue to bring us a unique and vast resource which is still based in modelling but increasingly features aspects of the real railways.

Long may this continue to grow and evolve.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RMWEB

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

And it is all down to you Andy! So a hearty thanks from me for being the founder and persevering through the hard times. You've done more to advance the hobby of Model Railways in this country than most. And I'm very sorry to say we have taken it and you for granted!

Well done!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Andy, the Warners team and the anonymous Mods (you know who you are ;) )

I have a brain the size of a planet, of course I know who I am!

However I don't like to think about it as I just get depressed.

With all these people celebrating a birthday, just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does... Not that anyone cares what I say, but happy birthday anyway...

• Like 2

Andy as RMWeb is 10 now that means it will soon be a teenager and all that goes with that period of anyone's life.

I suggest some extra mods get recruited to see us over this next 10 years.

Well done, who'd have thought your site would grow to become part of a paid job all that time ago.

Ten years! It's an old joke but you'd have got less for murder Andy, and I bet there's been once or twice over the years that you've felt like putting it to the test!

The site has provided, for me, inspiration, information, news and views, humour and camaraderie and an introduction to people I think of as friends, whether I've met them or not. I'd like to think that I've put a bit back in too.

I'd previously ploughed a lone furrow with my modelling but since joining the site I've met up with people who I've got to know on here and, most enjoyably, I've been involved with the RMWeb members day at Taunton.

Happy Birhday RMWeb.

Well done Andy, the Mods and, latterly, Warners, for providing us with this excellent resource.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

10 years, Andy? In a shifting world that's a long time to have held tight to the concept, even if it has developed beyond your dreams at the time, no doubt. The learning and wisdom available is unsurpassed. Ask the right question in the right part of the forum and an answer will surely emerge - in stereo and technicolor, most likely. And the inspiration from so many fine modellers sharing their successes is irresistible.

I've only been here 6 years, although it must seem longer than that to some! Not long after I arrived, Andy asked what was our "impression" of RMweb. I said it was a very warm place, little realising just how warm I would find it in the wake of my bereavement a couple of years later. Quite remarkable support from so many who haven't even met me. Now I am to re-marry, and my Intended is a member "Ashcombe", albeit mainly in Wheeltappers, where she enjoys the banter in Early Risers.

That RMweb is such a success is no surprise given the effort that Andy and team put in. Members come and go, toys are hurled from prams, but the forum is much bigger than any of us, and much suppression of stubborn egos takes place behind closed doors, I am sure.

I share the hope that many more years of controlled expansion and success await RMweb. Well done, Andy Y!

• Like 14

10 years, Andy? In a shifting world that's a long time to have held tight to the concept, even if it has developed beyond your dreams at the time, no doubt. The learning and wisdom available is unsurpassed. Ask the right question in the right part of the forum and an answer will surely emerge - in stereo and technicolor, most likely. And the inspiration from so many fine modellers sharing their successes is irresistible.

I've only been here 6 years, although it must seem longer than that to some! Not long after I arrived, Andy asked what was our "impression" of RMweb. I said it was a very warm place, little realising just how warm I would find it in the wake of my bereavement a couple of years later. Quite remarkable support from so many who haven't even met me. Now I am to re-marry, and my Intended is a member "Ashcombe", albeit mainly in Wheeltappers, where she enjoys the banter in Early Risers.

That RMweb is such a success is no surprise given the effort that Andy and team put in. Members come and go, toys are hurled from prams, but the forum is much bigger than any of us, and much suppression of stubborn egos takes place behind closed doors, I am sure.

I share the hope that many more years of controlled expansion and success await RMweb. Well done, Andy Y!

Looks like its's a double celebration, for Andy with RMweb, and Ian and the lovely Ashcombe getting together.

• Like 3

Congratulations on reaching number 10, Andy & the RMwebbers!

I think it was at the third iteration that I joined and I've gotten to know so many lovely people, this site has actually kept me going through some dark times, it keeps me inspired or changes my inspiration through normal times, above all it keeps me entertained all the time.

There have been some good, bad & definitely ugly members who've been and gone, even some imitations along the way but this site is certainly one of the very best.

Andy, well done!

John E.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't quite in at the very start back in 2005, but joined after RMWeb had been in existence for a week or so, following a recommendation from my old friend Simon Castens (aka 'Not Jeremy'). We'd both been active on the old BRM forum, but somehow I'd missed the actual start date of RMWeb (lack of alertness - no surprises there...).

Apart from the huge amount that I've learned about the hobby over the last 10 years through RMWeb, and the brilliant access to photos and videos of railways far and wide across the world, plus the fact that this is really one of the best research resources in the hobby, the main feature of being associated with RMWeb all this time is the fact that I have met lots of genuine, decent people, in person, many of whom have become personal friends.

Mention has been made earlier in this thread of the Members Days. I must say that I was very taken with the Mickleover Members Day in 2007. It was a wonderfully enjoyable day out. The sense of ‘community’ was already strong by then, and together with one or two other friends, I felt that we could put on something similar in the South West. I should give credit for part of the inspiration also coming from helping Simon out each year at CamRail (now LarkRail). I figured that not having to factor in the ‘paying public’ could only make things easier, which of course it does. Our first Taunton Members Day was in April 2008, and this year we are putting on the 8th one! It wouldn’t be possible, of course, without the support of all those RMWeb people who bring layouts, demos or otherwise come along and help out with the setting up etc., together with those invaluable Ladies of the Catering team…

More on the 2015 Taunton Members Day can be found here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96558-rmweb-members-day-taunton-2015-full-line-up-announced/

• Like 11

Difficult to add anything to what's already been said without repeating any of it, suffice to say a very big thumbs up and thankyou to Andy and all the good people of RMWeb for getting us this far down the line without the whole thing falling by the wayside, as so many online forums have in the past.

What a fantastic place this is and continues to be, the inspiration, helpfulness and general good will that pervades the forum is I'm sure what makes us keep dipping in daily. The chance to get involved with various manufacturers and give our own input into certain models has been most welcome and quite a privelige in its own way too.... none of which would have been possible without Andy and team.

Happy Tenth, RMWeb :drink_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now part of my DNA. Thanks,Andy and friends all....even those of you who inflicted the late departed "disagree" ikon on me. You provide the best tonic of the minute,the hour,the day,the week,the month and the year.....and now,the decade.Communication is life and we have that in all its occasionally infuriating but never dull glory.

Happy Birthday RM Web and all that sail in her.

Life seemed simpler back during the early days of 2005 and RM Web kept me in touch with the UK model railway scene. It was my model railway club in Toulouse.

Thanks Andy, its been a great journey, let it continue.

• RMweb Gold

It only seems like yesterday that I read Andy's first messages on the old BRM Forum and must admit that I was a bit sceptical about what Andy was suggesting but I did join soon after RMweb was created and have not looked back since then.

Many thanks Andy for all the work you have done during the last ten years ........ and Happy Birthday RMweb

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Looks like its's a double celebration, for Andy with RMweb, and Ian and the lovely Ashcombe getting together.

It's not a dating site, but not many model railway fora can boast romance between its members. Congratulations also to Ian and Ashcombe.

• Like 5

As an expat, a comparatively new member and a tinplater to boot, there shouldn't be a lot in common but I have to admit that I have learned a lot in the short time of my participation which can be applied to my part of the hobby.  Also the prototypical news has kept me in touch with my favourite West Country locations and how much has changed over the years.