RMweb Challenges for 2015

Andy Y

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Shame that there wasnt a link at the top asking for entries, acting like a reminder. I see news of the various Polls and Surveys that way. A link there would have made me think of contributing. I would have submitted a L1 to L4 conversion for my modified RTR attempt. I would think its too late to submit it as well. 

• RMweb Gold

I would have submitted a L1 to L4 conversion for my modified RTR attempt. I would think its too late to submit it as well. 

In view of people already having been invited to vote, I'm sure you're right.

However, I'm sure there's always this year's challenge - or another year - or perhaps not as, unfortunately, you've already completed the conversion (or most of it).

Whether you did the majority of the work last year or this year is another matter - and could, potentially, be significant if similar challenges were to be announced.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what this year's challenge is - but I suspect that, hopefully, we might get to find out reasonably soon.

Huw.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what this year's challenge is - but I suspect that, hopefully, we might get to find out reasonably soon.

Don't hold your breath ... they always seem to slip a little.

Perhaps Andy is waiting for suggestions. :jester:

Or perhaps we could just extend 2015 into 2016 afterall going back to the OP ...

The RMweb Modular Challenge

To boost the RMweb Modular Project the challenge is to build a BritMod-OO module or several, an accessible form of community modelling and a way to produce something whatever your budget or space constraints which may preclude building anything larger.

• RMweb Gold

Don't hold your breath ... they always seem to slip a little.

Perhaps Andy is waiting for suggestions. :jester:

Or perhaps we could just extend 2015 into 2016 after all going back to the OP ...

There have already been suggestions for themes for this year's challenge. I know that I've already posted suggestions of my own - aimed at trying to build links between the various magazines in the Warners portfolio and RMweb.

I'm not saying that these are the only credible themes - or even particularly good ones - they're merely an attempt to break a perceived impasse.

Personally, I'd be delighted if this year - and future years - were to be reruns of last year's challenge(s). After all, last year's themes covered most of the scope of RMweb - and there'd be nothing to stop extra categories being added, to plug "gaps", such as:

• unpowered rolling stock - coaches, wagons etc;
  • on-track plant - tampers, recovery cranes etc;
  • scenic items.

I'd also be delighted with nominal build / submission cutoff dates of 31st December each year (with 1st Jan the following year possibly being allowed as a "wash-up" period).

As for future years, there would be no need to announce each year's challenge - as everyone would already know what's expected - so each year's challenge could just follow on from the previous year's, with entries being rolled over into the next year's one until their builder declares them "finished" and submits them in an "entry" area of the site, just like last year's challenge.

As for voting, this would also offer the potential for the process to be streamlined - perhaps people could be invited to confirm that they wish to enter by the first week of January following the challenge - and voting take place in the 3rd and 4th weeks of January? (I don't know - only a thought.)

I'm not sure that any of this will end up happening - what I've said are merely suggestions - but I know that a number of people were (for various reasons) unable to complete or submit their planned "2015" entries.

Whether or not I get chance to get back to my build from last year (I intend to), I don't particularly wish everyone else's efforts to be wasted.

In all honesty, I'm not expecting any of my efforts to reach the sort of standard which would put them in contention for any plaudits - so there's no hidden agenda behind my comments.

Whether or not any RMweb challenges are ones I feel able to enter, I'd like there to be a challenge this year - I'd like there to be one next year - and I'd also like it if anyone planning on entering these challenges could get the opportunity to get on with these challenges (and do any required shopping and research) in a timely manner. Open themed "rolling challenges" would offer all of this - and everyone would know where they stand.

I don't know what anyone else thinks. If anyone's got better ideas (and is willing to express them in a reasonably calm manner), I'm sure that a number of people would be interested in reading them - I know I certainly would.

Regards,

Huw.

Archived