RMweb Challenges for 2015

Andy Y

I have fancied trying to join in the modular project, but being so far "oop north" assumed I'd have to travel quite a distance to link up with any other modules.

The hope is that it would become more regional with perhaps national meets several times a year for the opportunity to all get together.

It's only just getting off the ground at the moment with a meet shortly in the South East which will prove the concept works. I myself am 'up north' (Carlisle) and there are module builders in Wales and yes a few more in the South East who have embraced the concept more but Andys little acorn is starting to take root.

The more uptake throughout the country though the better chance of regular meets.

Remember the boards can be any length it's the width with the track centers and the height that count so even a 2ft board with a straight single track is useful.

Steve

"Oop North" and Carlisle are both down south from my point of view, as I live in Scotland.  As my planned layout in the attic is taking rather too long to build (probably at least another five or six years at current progress), I could be tempted to build a short (3') straight track section with some simple scenery just to get something built.  I would then have a test track / diorama / module for photographing stock on and if it could become part of a larger set up now and again, that would be great.  However, whether that module is double track or single track would to some extent be dependent on what the preferences of others 'up north' actually are.  I'm not really interested in possible meetings in the southern part of the country but the northern English counties would be a possibility if take up in Scotland is low.

I'll await the Challenge rules with anticipation.

Brilliant! 2 new challenges for me to fail to complete!

Off the top of my head for challenge no.1 I have the options of:

OO9 Peco 'jenette' side tank steam engine, which would be a simple white metal build and decorate.

OO class 83, got a bare body and bogie side frames from an unknown source and nothing else there.

7/8ths scale diesel shunter driven by Shaun the Sheep, got a doner LGB diesel and a Shaun.

Fun times!

A module would be nice too, I already have several plans for those so this may be the motivation I need to get started. Good choices Andy.

Evening Andy

I fancy doing a loco for this, London Roan N1 of maybe Connoisseur J50.....

In competitions like this you often see 'kitbuilt-scratch built" as one category but I think it would be more fair to see them as separate category's. Building from a kit is a very different skill than that needed for scratch building from raw materials.

Either way it's good to see encouragement in this area, be nice to see what people choose to build........

Cheers

Chris

"Oop North" and Carlisle are both down south from my point of view, as I live in Scotland.  As my planned layout in the attic is taking rather too long to build (probably at least another five or six years at current progress), I could be tempted to build a short (3') straight track section with some simple scenery just to get something built.  I would then have a test track / diorama / module for photographing stock on and if it could become part of a larger set up now and again, that would be great.  However, whether that module is double track or single track would to some extent be dependent on what the preferences of others 'up north' actually are.  I'm not really interested in possible meetings in the southern part of the country but the northern English counties would be a possibility if take up in Scotland is low.

I'll await the Challenge rules with anticipation.

I've just started a topic in the modular section as there appears to be 2-3 of us who've shown interest within this topic.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97189-any-interest-from-both-sides-of-the-england-scotland-border/

Apologies for the slight departure off-topic but this was an opportunity I felt not to be wasted.

• RMweb Gold

Ace!   I'm going to do my 'Q' kits Co-bo.

I've got one of those. I think the few bits kept from the kit can go in the scratchbuilding category. The rest can go in the bin.

When I said about not having any loco kits stashed away, I'd forgotten about having an ancient Keyser HO kit of a German V160 - which will probably never get built.

Now that I've remembered the thing, I still think I was right first time - I think its only redeeming quality was the price (very low - but probably still too much - W&H were selling up!).

To be brutally honest, I think I would have offered it on one of those "free to a good home" deals years back - were it not for the fact that some unsuspecting teenager might have received the thing as a present - and promptly been put off modelmaking for life.

In competitions like this you often see 'kitbuilt-scratch built" as one category but I think it would be more fair to see them as separate category's. Building from a kit is a very different skill than that needed for scratch building from raw materials.

Either way it's good to see encouragement in this area, be nice to see what people choose to build........

I suspect that some of the badly thought out kits from the past might well be the real reason for "kitbuilding" and "scratchbuilding" sometimes finding themselves in the same category.

Incidentally, I didn't have ulterior motives in saying that I'm unlikely to enter.

Although some model railway themed forum sites seem to be more about "eccentric" motive power, most of the stuff here seems to be mainstream and credible.

In the absence of statements to the contrary, I assumed that, while fun, "yellow peril" style critters probably weren't what Andy had in mind. I also took the line that trams and railcars - while clearly motive power - might not be everyone's idea of locomotives.

I haven't entered many modelmaking competitions - and I take the line that, if I enter any, I also expect to be bound by the rules.

In other words, my comments were partly an attempt to clarify the scope of the challenge - and partly my way of making it clear that I'm not about to enter any "non compliant" models.

7/8ths scale diesel shunter driven by Shaun the Sheep, got a doner LGB diesel and a Shaun.

I'm not sure - but I suspect that "Shaun the Sheep" might not particularly relish the idea of a "doner" anything ... .

Joking aside, it sounds like you've got a number of interesting ideas there.

It also sounds like there's quite a bit of interest for the challenges in general - there should be plenty of excellent content on this site in due course.

I don't know how feasible this might be - but it could be interesting to see some of the "placed" entries finding their way into the pages of BRM - or onto the BRM stand at "Ally Pally" next year.

Whether this actually happens remains to be seen - time will tell.

Huw.

Now we have an end date (which as we know from previous challenges has a habit of creeping up fast) - are there any rules yet? ;)

and is there a start date or is it just a case of starting anytime and posting the completed item when there is somewhere to post it. Says he, champing at the bit to select and open a new kit box, cut some more wood, and showing serious signs of impatience...

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to announce two distinct challenges to tie in with out 10th birthday year which show that the site is about practical activity as much as debate. Forums will be opened up for the challenges this week to cover the parameters and for members to record their projects.

The BRM/RMweb 'build a loco' challenge.

There will be three entry categories into which projects can fall.

• Scratchbuild/Kitbuild
  • Modified RTR
  • Static display

The challenge will run to the end of the year and the challenge is supported through the pages of BRM.

The RMweb Modular Challenge

To boost the RMweb Modular Project the challenge is to build a BritMod-OO module or several, an accessible form of community modelling and a way to produce something whatever your budget or space constraints which may preclude building anything larger.

Hi Andy

I am up for the loco building challenge. Does it have to be totally new or can it be one (I have FEW) that is started? Hopefully it will fit the first categority but if not the 3rd.

Edited cos someone keeps moving my keys about and I type the wrong letteg.

For the loco challenge, do I have to start something new or can I complete one of my existing projects? 

Just don't say anything and then in a couple of weeks post something along the lines of "Time for an update as I have made quite a bit of progress on my challenge entry". ;)

Just don't say anything and then in a couple of weeks post something along the lines of "Time for an update as I have made quite a bit of progress on my challenge entry". ;)

That's ok as long as you remember to delete the build thread already on here.

• RMweb Gold

For the loco challenge, do I have to start something new or can I complete one of my existing projects?  I have quite a selection... :scratchhead:

I am up for the loco building challenge. Does it have to be totally new or can it be one (I have a FEW) that is started?

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn - but I, personally, don't see anything wrong with completing existing projects.

Certainly, it seems to make more sense to finish one project than it would to start another (and neither get finished).

After all, Andy has already made it clear he doesn't wish to be unduly restrictive.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

In that case, can a note be made of any entries that have such a head start so that the final judging can take the account of the extra time the part built items will have had? I for one would be starting a kit from new in the box.

Certainly, it seems to make more sense to finish one project than it would to start another (and neither get finished).

Awe! that takes all the fun out of opening a new box.

Though I agree - this isn't some kind of race - it is more about getting some modelling done. (and providing some new topics to generate wider encouragement and interest. So making/sharing a restart or progress is more important.

Sorry if this has already been answered but how many entries can you enter into the competition? I'm guessing only 1 per person? The only reason I ask is I have 2 projects in mind but one will be a conversion and the other a scratch build.

See link provided in the post prior to yours - that shows the "rules" - nothing in there about limiting the number of kits or modules - or anything much, come to that - even I couldn't pick fault with them!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this has already been answered but how many entries can you enter into the competition? I'm guessing only 1 per person? The only reason I ask is I have 2 projects in mind but one will be a conversion and the other a scratch build.

I've just entered two, I'm sure I'll be told if it's one too many!

Jerry

This sounds like a very clever way to get folk digging all those hidden kits out of wardrobes and cupboards and - I wouldn't be surprised - buried caches in the garden.

How many have you got, Mike?

I may do my long discussed On30 Box Cab.................Would I have to ship any entry to the UK?

Btw I stumbled over this thread by accident as it’s not showing up in my “View New Content”. Not complaining - just an observation.

Cheers, Pete.

Btw I stumbled over this thread by accident as it’s not showing up in my “View New Content”. Not complaining - just an observation.

Only shows up there as new posts get added - and things seem to have quietened down here as everyone gets their shovels out to unearth those kits.

I expect It is just like after the initial flurry the progress will tail off and those topics on progress slow down. I intend to enter it is just a case of which one of the boxes to open next and then finding a corner of the bench/life to devote to it. Anyway plenty of time...

Archived