10th birthday competition - solution and winner announced.

Andy Y

Though actually the bird was a Golden Eagle (according to my orthonoligist colleague at work). So technically Porcy Mane got one wrong too so it's a tie.

Unfortunately that also affected 16 Across.

Unfortunately that also affected 16 Across.

I've got to agree with Andy on that. Even though I had discovered the tops number of Cheltenham via Google and realised that only the class 50 number would fit, I'd forgot to alter my final submission so Ramrig won fair & square.

Congratulations to him and enjoy the trainset.

P

• RMweb Gold

A couple of errors, and a couple of wrong numbers, but still very enjoyable (and tedious in the same measure)

Certainly kept me busy over a few lunch breaks.

Couldn't believe there was a loco called wolf hall, searched for ages and failed to find one do went for a very tenuous connection.

• RMweb Gold

Though actually the bird was a Golden Eagle (according to my orthonoligist colleague at work). So technically Porcy Mane got one wrong too so it's a tie.

Yes, Golden Eagle caused me considerable headaches - until I realised that 'Eagle' (the Class 50 would fit)  - and 30925 would also fit.  Mind you I'm no one to talk, I picked the wrong ******* Prince of Wales, clearly my mind is wedded welded to the steam era :jester:  

Very surprised to be a runner up! Thank you for the competition Andy, it was very enjoyable and quite the brain teaser! Talking of tenuous connections, the only number I could find to fit for the Prince of Wales one was the number of The Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own).

Bring on RMWeb's 15th or 20th anniversary! It will give me hopefully enough time to learn about TOPS  :P

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Ah – but regarding VoR #9 did the Loco ever actually carry 98009? If not, can 98009 actually be called its' number?

A “virtual” computer registry number at best?

Just a thought. (From someone who is dreadful at crosswords in general and this one in particular!)

Thanks Andy,
Kev.

(Ducks for cover!)

• RMweb Premium

On that basis the winner will be Ramrig with one incorrect answer.

Whilst I congratulate Steve on his win, I have no idea how he's going to explain down at the Club why he's got a GWR train set :O and we have a London Midland Region layout based on Duffield just north of Derby . . . . :nono:

For those not aware, this site lists all the steam names. And on the LHS, via diesels, you get all the diesel, electric, and mu names too.

http://www.railuk.info/steam/steamname_search.php

I got stuck on one - Cheltenham.(Though I found the name but no loco number to fit). That was because of Fighter Pilot, with a C in the number! I had that down as Tornado, the earlier one. So 30925 didn't fit....

Very enjoyable though, thanks to Andy.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I have been out all day basking in the glorious sunshine :sungum: and missed all of this. When I went out I was a runner up........................ then a stewards enquiry....................... followed by promotion (more than Derby will get on current form  :jester: ) ................... and now I have a GWR WW1 set............................................... I can see a certain (large) amount of "urine extraction" next week at club  :lol: .

Archived